Welcome 5* QB Matt Corral

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

For some reason they have him as a 4 star now, but when all the 247 writters talk about him, they say he is a 5 star...not sure what that is about. Fwiw, he is the highest ranked 4 star on 247.

So, when a kid has a higher probability of committing to Florida, he's suddenly not as good. Makes sense...:trump:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, when a kid has a higher probability of committing to Florida, he's suddenly not as good. Makes sense...:trump:
247 is always a distant second best.

Rivals has him as a five star. Rivals is all that matters and even 247 recognizes it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why does everybody treat crystal balls like they matter? At one point we were in front for Fields after he decommited. Most these guys don't know and these kids still haven't decided!
some are in the know, many aren't, and perhaps any one individual prediction should be taken lightly, but when you see a huge shift like that in a short period of time, it usually means they actually know something.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
some are in the know, many aren't, and perhaps any one individual prediction should be taken lightly, but when you see a huge shift like that in a short period of time, it usually means they actually know something.
Kinda like when there was a huge shift to fsu with Fields. It was all UF when he decommitted and then he took a visit to fsu and suddenly the crystal balls swung their way.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kinda like when there was a huge shift to fsu with Fields. It was all UF when he decommitted and then he took a visit to fsu and suddenly the crystal balls swung their way.
not entirely. That shift was not as swift.
Not saying FSU isn't in it for Fields...really looks like it is them and UGA...Though I sometimes wonder if Fields isn't purposely vague and purposely misleading and some people are jumping the gun with him. If academics is a real priority for Fields...FSU is the worst of the bunch.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
247 is always a distant second best.

Rivals has him as a five star. Rivals is all that matters and even 247 recognizes it.

The stupidest, most invalid thing I see in these ranking systems is their saying who's ahead of whom as a player in the H.S. nation? How can you compare a DT to a QB or a QB to a DT and say who's the best get? Kids should be ranked only by their position against other guys at that position.

I have zero grip on star-giving and player rankings, so I'm going with The Swonky (sounds kinda like The Swami don't it) ... not saying he's a good analyzer but that he's a great, great critcalyzer and them people really take things apart.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I remember when we were recruiting Tebow. I read an article about UM and G. Matteson on the plain after meeting him. Mattison said to UM "if we don't land this kid it could set us back 10 years!" Now that may be an over exaggeration but I see his point.

We need at least one of these kids to help bring this class together!
Go Gators!!!

It did happen, saw Urban mentioned it in an interview on some show once, Urban said he was mad after Mattison told him that and didn't talk to him the rest of the flight they were on I think. Lol. It would've set them back some, but you got to think if they'd still landed Newton ( got to imagine that even the trouble he'd gotten in, he'd survived all that if he was starting) success would have just been delayed a couple years. A coach like Urban is going to find success sooner or later, he's proven it again and again.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The kid seems dead set on coming cross country to play his college ball, him getting homesick would concern me if we landed him. Don't get me wrong I'd love for us to land him, but wish he was from this region.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The stupidest, most invalid thing I see in these ranking systems is their saying who's ahead of whom as a player in the H.S. nation? How can you compare a DT to a QB or a QB to a DT and say who's the best get? Kids should be ranked only by their position against other guys at that position.

I have zero grip on star-giving and player rankings, so I'm going with The Swonky (sounds kinda like The Swami don't it) ... not saying he's a good analyzer but that he's a great, great critcalyzer and them people really take things apart.

The sites do that pretty well too. They are not only ranked nationally, they're also ranked by position and by state.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why does everybody treat crystal balls like they matter? At one point we were in front for Fields after he decommited. Most these guys don't know and these kids still haven't decided!
They paid for that 247 subscription and have to feel like they're getting something for their money?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And yet choices are made. I dont agree with them all. They often give the highest star rating to the athletic linemen even if they lack drive or strength (think David Sharpe).

Personally I'll take the guys who've actually performed the best against the best competition even if they don't have the higher top end potential especially with positions like offensive line and defensive line, DTs in particular. In other words, give me more Juwaan Taylors, McCoys, and Heggies. frankly the best guy for the team is probably the one who isn't quite athletic enough to be a high draft pick who may stay around for his fourth or fifth year.

Remember 5 th year linemen? That seems like ancient history. We've had sucky guys leaving early to go to the arena league.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator