What if Cam Newton stayed at Florida?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What would Cam Newton have done to keep us from getting our asses handed to us by Bama in 2009? Play defense? Defend a screen pass? Tackle Greg McElroy to keep him from hopping up the sideline for a first down?
Hypothetically he could have driven Carlos Dunlap home.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Cam Newton had stayed at UF, he would have doubled his Wunderlik score.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
here is a Bianchi article recently written. the article is written is douche fashion, but makes some good points. he fails to mention the poor recruiting by Meyer that led to the broken program.

https://license.icopyright.net/user/viewContent.act?tag=3.13792?icx_id=20160123-BC-FBC-BIANCHI-COLUMN

Seems to me it was pretty much spot on.

Reality is Newton would have probably been expelled due academic violations. No way could UF keep a student athlete who brazenly cheated - twice - as was alleged (from what I recall).

I imagine that year at Blinn allowed him to do a lot more passing than he ever would have done at UF.

Having said all that, Meyer probably could have given Cam more PT. Meyer has always been a bit too conservative at bringing backup QB's along.

Meyer did a great job of bringing QB's in that fit his system, but arguably he hasn't always done a great job managing them and putting the best talent on the field. You can look at Cam, never really brought him along. Then you have Brantley. You can look at this year at Ohio State - they should have been a slam dunk for the national championship, but somehow ****ed it up.

It is really staggering the bad luck that UF has had with QB's since Tebow. There has certainly been some QB talent that came to UF, but somehow the worst ones started and stayed and the best ones left. Finally we get what appears to be the real deal with Grier and then he implodes.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I do remember Cam Newton asking one question after it was obvious Tebow was a gator. He asked would the coaches let the best player play. The coaches said they would. In my opinion that did not happen. We now have a reputation of not being able to recognize talent after we have them in camp.

Not sure I understand this. You mean when Tebow decided to stay for senior year. it was certainly not obvious at that point that Cam was a better player than Tebow at that point in time.

Many people were calling Tebow the greatest college FB player in history. Perhaps that was overstated, but I'm not sure how you start an untested guy in front of him.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He still wouldn't have started, because what if eligibility was extended to 8 years? Tebow would have still been starting. What is Spurrier never left? What if Florida had sunk into the sea? We'd all be dead! and it wouldn't matter...

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
We wouldn't be reading this board because we were busy winning games and posting on the now defunct crap board most of us came from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.