What if we didn't fire Muschamp...

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
....but still hired a new head coach and made Muschamp the defensive coordinator? Has a head coach ever been demoted and stayed with the same team? Plenty of good coordinators out there that failed as head coaches and went back to being a good assistant.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That has never happen and I can promise you it won't happen

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
No, won't do. They need their (dawg)pound of flesh.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
That would be too dicey a situation. No way he'd want to stay.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think he'd be better suited to sell diet dr pepper in the stands

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Only example I can think of is Luke Fickell at Ohio St. going from interim head coach in 2011 to DC in 2012 when Urban was hired.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Never happen. The average HC would say no. Someone as stubborn and arrogant as WM? No shot.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n86240 said:
Never happen. The average HC would say no. Someone as stubborn and arrogant as WM? No shot.

I don't know what makes you say Will Muschamp is stubborn.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n86214 said:
....but still hired a new head coach and made Muschamp the defensive coordinator? Has a head coach ever been demoted and stayed with the same team? Plenty of good coordinators out there that failed as head coaches and went back to being a good assistant.

I can't see Muschamp agreeing to that unless he never wants to be a head coach again. Otherwise, it'd be hard to get someone to take a risk on you after agreeing to your own demotion due to your own incompetence.

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
That would not work in terms of a locker room dynamic. The players would not respect him enough to play hard for him. **** they don't respect him enough as the head coach now.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It wouldn't be the first time a UF coach was demoted and stayed with the program. The last time it happened Zook was demoted, then left, then was hired as the head coach........Gee, that sounds really f****d up when I say it out loud.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All emotions and hard feelings aside... would we even want him as a DC? I'm too lazy to look it up, but I dont remember the defenses in his last years at UT being any good.

BearCatGator

Aug 26, 2014
Didn't Charlie Strong serve as interim coach against Miami after Zook? He didn't really become a true head coach but that is the only example I can think of. Pat Summit did somewhat of the same thing, only in a completely different situation.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n86659 said:
All emotions and hard feelings aside... would we even want him as a DC? I'm too lazy to look it up, but I dont remember the defenses in his last years at UT being any good.

In 2010, a year in which Texas went 5-7 and had MASSIVE problems at QB, the defense was 49th in PPG and 6th in YPG. It's entirely possible the offense put the defense in bad spots all year (sound familiar?). In 2009, which was Colt McCoy's last year, the defense was 12th in PPG and 3rd in YPG. In 2008, the year they should have played us for the NC in Miami, the defense was 20th in PPG, and 50th in YPG. And remember 2008 is the year the Big 12 had like 17 Heisman candidate quarterbacks. But those were his three years in Texas.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gotcha, thanks. I guess it was the 5-7 record and all Mack Brown turmoil that stood out.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n86697 said:
Gotcha, thanks. I guess it was the 5-7 record and all Mack Brown turmoil that stood out.

Yeah the first dumpster fire year of the end of Mack Brown's tenure was 2010. Kinda like the first dumpster fire year that brought us down was 2010. :lol:

Tebow and McCoy leaving their respective schools really had an enormous impact.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The defensive stats are skewed quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, we have largely been a quality defense under WM. But with Pinkel being the most recent example, coaches have acknowledged that they shut it down offensively to some degree once they saw that UF was no real threat to score. We saw the same thing with Lsu last year, fsu in 2011, and several other occasions. Obviously there's a measure of respect that they're giving our defense by not wanting to take those risks. But when a team isn't going to take chances, and is content running conservative plays and punting, it makes your defense look a lot better than it really is. The best we've ever looked was 2012, and that was largely due to a ton of talent like Elam, Floyd, Easley, etc left over from Meyer.

A good friend of mine is a bulldog, and he always pointed out how uga shredded WM's defenses when he was Auburn. The 2006 and 2007 games were flat out ugly. So while, yes, he slowed us down in those years(was't that hard to do at that point in 2006), he also had moments where his defenses looked terrible. I'm fine seeing him go elsewhere and getting another competent DC.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n86806 said:
The defensive stats are skewed quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, we have largely been a quality defense under WM. But with Pinkel being the most recent example, coaches have acknowledged that they shut it down offensively to some degree once they saw that UF was no real threat to score. We saw the same thing with Lsu last year, fsu in 2011, and several other occasions. Obviously there's a measure of respect that they're giving our defense by not wanting to take those risks. But when a team isn't going to take chances, and is content running conservative plays and punting, it makes your defense look a lot better than it really is. The best we've ever looked was 2012, and that was largely due to a ton of talent like Elam, Floyd, Easley, etc left over from Meyer.

A good friend of mine is a bulldog, and he always pointed out how uga shredded WM's defenses when he was Auburn. The 2006 and 2007 games were flat out ugly. So while, yes, he slowed us down in those years(was't that hard to do at that point in 2006), he also had moments where his defenses looked terrible. I'm fine seeing him go elsewhere and getting another competent DC.

Every DC does. The man can coach a defense, I don't think there's any room for argument there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86817 said:
Every DC does. The man can coach a defense, I don't think there's any room for argument there.

Your posts read like a commercial for Muschamp. Are you him? Related? You basically made excuses for his tenure at UT. Hilarious. His D is skewed here because of TOP. His only real D was because it was full of NFL talent on the field and off(quinn).

HE JUST GAVE UP THE MOST YARDS IN SCHOOL HISTORY VS BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overrated, like you pal.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n86822 said:
Your posts read like a commercial for Muschamp. Are you him? Related? You basically made excuses for his tenure at UT. Hilarious. His D is skewed here because of TOP. His only real D was because it was full of NFL talent on the field and off(quinn).

HE JUST GAVE UP THE MOST YARDS IN SCHOOL HISTORY VS BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overrated, like you pal.

Every defensive coordinator has bad games. No matter what kind of rhetoric foams out of your rabid mouth, that's 100% fact. Hell, Dan Quinn has basically the same personnel on defense in Seattle this year that he had last year, and they're playing dreadfully bad right now. Is he overrated now, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.