What if we didn't fire Muschamp...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You've been making excuses for this guy for years and you're still doing it. You deserve to be called out on it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n86852 said:
You've been making excuses for this guy for years and you're still doing it. You deserve to be called out on it.

Go back and look at Texas' roster in 2010, specifically their quarterbacks. That team went 5-7 because of their putrid offense, no other reason. 2009's defense was stellar. In 2008, his defense was giving up less than 20 ppg in a conference that had some of the best offensive play we've seen in years. At Auburn, he had the 7th scoring defense in 2006 and 6th scoring defense in 2007. The only year available on ESPN's stats for his time as DC at LSU is 2004, in which they had the 10th scoring defense. Year before that they won the national championship and held Oklahoma's Heisman QB to 14 points in the NC game.

So if you're trying to say that he wasn't a stellar DC just because he failed as the HC here, then you're pretty far off base. In fact, you're light years off base.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, his best years were almost a decade ago. His D's were nails at Auburn/LSU and I bet if you graphed out the overall ranking since there's a steady line increasing upward, right?

There's no point in arguing with you. You'll make up any excuse to rationalize anything Muschamp related. Let me guess, Mercury was in retrograde during the Bama game, that's why he gave up the most yards in school history. Man, that's a black eye for a great DC. But, you know what? It was Durkin's actually. Muschamp was the HC not DC so Chump really didn't give up those yards.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n86874 said:
Exactly, his best years were almost a decade ago. His D's were nails at Auburn/LSU and I bet if you graphed out the overall ranking since there's a steady line increasing upward, right?

There's no point in arguing with you. You'll make up any excuse to rationalize anything Muschamp related. Let me guess, Mercury was in retrograde during the Bama game, that's why he gave up the most yards in school history. Man, that's a black eye for a great DC. But, you know what? It was Durkin's actually. Muschamp was the HC not DC so Chump really didn't give up those yards.

If we're talking about his abilities as a defensive coordinator, why wouldn't I cite the years he's been defensive coordinator? There's a reason he was considered one of the best DC's in college football for nearly a decade. And wherever his next job may be in 2015, I can assure you it'll be as a DC, where he's performed the best throughout his career.

To your last point, if we're going to credit Dan Quinn and not Will Muschamp with the 2012 defense, why would be blame Will Muschamp and not Dan Durkin for the Alabama game? Double standard much?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n86817 said:
Every DC does. The man can coach a defense, I don't think there's any room for argument there.

That was my second sentence. I'm just saying that in terms of rankings, we've had coaches that admitted to not trying to do much against us. So some of the numbers are skewed because of our offense and general approach.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n86887 said:
That was my second sentence. I'm just saying that in terms of rankings, we've had coaches that admitted to not trying to do much against us. So some of the numbers are skewed because of our offense and general approach.

And all 42 of those points scored on us by Missouri are going to count against our scoring defense, so it kinda evens out, doesn't it?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n86889 said:
And all 42 of those points scored on us by Missouri are going to count against our scoring defense, so it kinda evens out, doesn't it?

But that was somewhat of a rarity. Many of our losses have come without pick-6's and ST's TDs. They've come with teams scoring a few points, then shutting it down to watch the incompetence of our offense unfold. As I said, I give him credit for our D. But I will also say that there are other factors at play.

And while he's recruited well, aside from VH3, DF and maybe Tabor, we don't have those difference makers on defense that we often had under Meyer. I'm not sure if he wanted to get plan-B guys because he thought he could get more from them than what they'd done up to that point, or if he simply had to settle. But that's been a big disappointment as well. Not going to call out names of kids who are playing for us, but there are several that have no business being at a program like UF. As "bad" as the culture may have been under Meyer(very much a myth, imo), we've continued to slide further and further as his guys have moved on.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n86884 said:
If we're talking about his abilities as a defensive coordinator, why wouldn't I cite the years he's been defensive coordinator? There's a reason he was considered one of the best DC's in college football for nearly a decade. And wherever his next job may be in 2015, I can assure you it'll be as a DC, where he's performed the best throughout his career.

To your last point, if we're going to credit Dan Quinn and not Will Muschamp with the 2012 defense, why would be blame Will Muschamp and not Dan Durkin for the Alabama game? Double standard much?

WINNER!!!!!!! I don't credit the CHUMP for 2012. Muschump's best years are behind him. He looks Driskled to me anyhow. A broken man and a shell of his former self(2004). We'll blame Durkin for the D and Chump for the titanic mess of the program(which is much much worse).

Seems like he's been living off of his early years. Saban was at LSU and Tuberville was a pretty good dc in his own right.

Will Muschamp is one giant facade.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He'll be the DC and head coach in waiting, next year at USCe

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n87111 said:
He'll be the DC and head coach in waiting, next year at USCe

HCIW? Wow, anyone that hires him to be a head coach is an idiot. The guy torpedoed FL. The program is worse than when he took over for Meyer. Is that even possible? It's MORE BROKEN?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T REX;n87120 said:
HCIW? Wow, anyone that hires him to be a head coach is an idiot. The guy torpedoed FL. The program is worse than when he took over for Meyer. Is that even possible? It's MORE BROKEN?

The reality is it wasn't that broken. It became fashionable to say that. But the reality is we had a horrendous QB, combined with a few assistants that were not yest qualified for their positions. We didn't do well in OL recruiting, and that needed to be addressed. But this team was littered with 4 and 5 star players at virtually every position. Meyer, in an absolute sleep-walk through 2010, and with JB at QB won 8 games, including 2 last second losses to Msu and Lsu. The whole "broken" thing was a built-in excuse that WM created when he got here. If there was any validity to it, we wouldn't have become worse as those "broken/toxic" players left, which is exactly what has happened.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n86874 said:
You'll make up any excuse to rationalize anything Muschamp related.

This is the height of irony. Any time someone tries to explain a context that might cast any positive light on Muschamp, or even lift any unreasonable blame from him, you dismiss it and rationalize ways to remove the clear explanation in order to reestablish blame on him. He's going to be fired - 99% certain. ...but that's not enough for some here. He needs to be demonized, his historical success stripped, and his character assassinated.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n87277 said:
This is the height of irony. Any time someone tries to explain a context that might cast any positive light on Muschamp, or even lift any unreasonable blame from him, you dismiss it and rationalize ways to remove the clear explanation in order to reestablish blame on him. He's going to be fired - 99% certain. ...but that's not enough for some here. He needs to be demonized, his historical success stripped, and his character assassinated.

Positive? The guy is 3-10 in his last 13 games - 4-12 vs ranked teams overall. His recruiting class is non-existent. The whole program is going in the wrong direction. If you want to continue to sing Kumbaya and hold hands...that's all on you. If someone wants to stick their neck out and somehow prop him up in the middle of all this mess? They'll get the guillotine and rightly so. IMHO, Foley needs to answer for this mess. He let it happen. And spare me the injuries garbage. It was garbage last year and it is even moreso this year. He should have been axed after losing to GSU. That was the end and it was Foley's out. No one would have said he gave Muschamp a quick hook. UF, Texas, Michigan. Bama, etc...do not lose to D-IAA teams. If you do, you get fired.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
EuroGator;n87277 said:

I'll bite. What historical success?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n87299 said:
I'll bite. What historical success?

He had very good defenses under Nick Saban and Tommy Tuberville...shocker.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I think he said historical but meant historic. He is correct of course that any win could be classified as a historical success. However "historic" would be a stretch. Unless you consider someone so inept managing to get paid to coach at an elite football powerhouse for so long. I would agree that that is historic.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Nobody is saying he should stay. Nobody is saying he is a good head coach. To deny that the guy can coach defense is simply foolish. People have ceilings often times, and it appears his top rung is DC. Almost every single defensive player he has coached here has vastly improved and has been given the tools to have a shot in the NFL. You guys are mad because he has sucked and been an embarrassment as a head coach and I get that. We all do, because we all feel the same. Bottom line, guy cannot get it done as a head coach, needs to be the furthest person from an offense, but knows how to run a defense.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You'd be paying Muschamp double time, buying out his current contract and then adding an assistant's contract on top of it. That would be extremely unpopular. If there was a way to commute a portion of the buyout toward his contributing assistant's work on the sidelines, I'd be all for it. The guy can coach defense and he's shown he wants to be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.