What not to do as a little league football coach

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ima spare the rod spoil the child kinda parent. I moved around a lot as a child (Air Force brat) and at every new school my parents would tell the teachers they had their permission to spank me whenever needed without notifying them.
BUT that is soo far over the line. A child that young has no understanding. He just knows his father/coach is humiliating him. The psychological pain is worse than the physical pain and longer lasting.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Had that been my grandson he hit I would have literally tried to kill him. I can't even imagine the animal that I would turn into.

This...I'd be in jail for doing what I almost got banned for posting... w/Dull Knife

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I've had coaches grab my face mask to get my attention but never that.

That Dad (and I use that loosely) could be in for some bad times with social services. This ain't the 70's...college coaches have lost everything for far less.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There was a HS coach at Bishop Moore in Orlando that used to smack kids like that all the time named Harry Nelson. He was just a miserable SOB but he won a state championship once so they thought he was God. When I was a sophomore there was a guy on the team who played receiver that was all of about 5' 9' 160. Nelson had been giving him $h!t all practice and finally the kid had enough and shot him a bird and told him to f**k off. Nelson crossed about 20 yards in 2 seconds and we all waited for the hammer to drop. Knowing what was coming the kid hit Nelson in the eye with a beautiful right cross sending him to the deck. It was a glorious thing to see. When Nelson got up he just grabbed the kid by the face mask and we all expected an epic beat down to follow. But I guess Nelson kinda' respected the kid for doing it and left him alone. He didn't kick him off the team or even bench him. Nelson walked around school with a massive shiner for about two weeks. That kid was forever a hero in my eyes. He became a successful attorney in Orlando.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
He was the coach but he was not the father of the kid. He has released an apology video and says the parents have forgiven him. The mom does not want to press charges.

He was banned for life by the organization and fired from his job at the Chatham County detention center where he worked as a counselor.

My favorite coaches growing up were always the old school types. As a coach I was old school. But the line you never cross is laying hands on a kid.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He was the coach but he was not the father of the kid. He has released an apology video and says the parents have forgiven him. The mom does not want to press charges.

He was banned for life by the organization and fired from his job at the Chatham County detention center where he worked as a counselor.

My favorite coaches growing up were always the old school types. As a coach I was old school. But the line you never cross is laying hands on a kid.
He hit someone else's kid like that? The parents forgave him? Where is the pussy father in all this? Absolutely astounding, he should have had his face rearranged. I may have forgiven him after I sent him to the hospital.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He hit someone else's kid like that? The parents forgave him? Where is the pussy father in all this? Absolutely astounding, he should have had his face rearranged. I may have forgiven him after I sent him to the hospital.
I’m a bit familiar with that part of Georgia. The father is quite probably not in the picture.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

He worked as a Counselor...........How!!!!!!!!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You and @Bait'n Gator have two completely different stories.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There was a HS coach at Bishop Moore in Orlando that used to smack kids like that all the time named Harry Nelson. He was just a miserable SOB but he won a state championship once so they thought he was God. When I was a sophomore there was a guy on the team who played receiver that was all of about 5' 9' 160. Nelson had been giving him $h!t all practice and finally the kid had enough and shot him a bird and told him to f**k off. Nelson crossed about 20 yards in 2 seconds and we all waited for the hammer to drop. Knowing what was coming the kid hit Nelson in the eye with a beautiful right cross sending him to the deck. It was a glorious thing to see. When Nelson got up he just grabbed the kid by the face mask and we all expected an epic beat down to follow. But I guess Nelson kinda' respected the kid for doing it and left him alone. He didn't kick him off the team or even bench him. Nelson walked around school with a massive shiner for about two weeks. That kid was forever a hero in my eyes. He became a successful attorney in Orlando.
I knew Harry Nelson's sons, Bill and Ben, (Bad Billy and Ben the Gent, we called them). Bill was insane and hilarious. He was a Linebacker on the Gator football team when I was at UF, an exceptionally talented artist, and a sax player. One night Bill, Ben, and their roommate came into the Islands Bar stinking like sh!t. I asked them where the hell they'd been and they told me they'd been crawling around in the sewers. They started aggressively asking girls to dance, (didn't get any takers, :lol: ) then ended the evening by doing backflips off the bar, which only lasted as long as the bouncers took to kick them out. Ben the Gent was quite the ladies' man. He spent a fair amount of time on sorority row. The night of the Appledorf murder, the police picked him up there under suspicion. When he got home from the police station we'd drawn a chalk outline of a dead body on the floor to greet him. Bill is a successful artist in NYC now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.