What to expect from this team in the fall?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I define terrible as bottom 30. I'd call 60 ish to be below average. That's where I suspect we will be with any improvement on OL and a QB who can at least run the option with some proficiency.

We aren't going to be anywhere NEAR good.

As for Trash, I do hope he gets on the field at some point. It will be fun just to see the look on his face when he realizes this isn't middle school anymore and those 290-320 LB DL get to hit him in a second or two from the snap.

You love to dog Trask but I don't see how he could be much worse than Franks who has already shown on the actual field he is not even decent FCS level QB material up to this point.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe so but he has played behind our line and has seen what big defenders look like coming after him. I know he likely isn't an SEC quality QB but I think he can adjust just like any other. He may not be tough enough who knows but he is a pretty decent passer for not having the experience or coaching.

Trask will probably get a chance to play this season to show what he can do. My guess is Franks will be yanked by the time the Miss State game is over if not earlier.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Trask will probably get a chance to play this season to show what he can do. My guess is Franks will be yanked by the time the Miss State game is over if not earlier.

Trask may fail miserably if given the chance but like you say, Franks already has so why not find out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who understands how steroids/PEDs work can easily tell who's "on or off".

Everybody in D1 does it, they pretty much have to, but Alabama and Georgia are currently the best at it.

There's a reason why a handful of guys were training off campus under Mac, and it wasn't just because they needed harder workouts.

There's also a reason why under Meyer most of our players looked like 35yr old men.

Bama players said it was just deer antler velvet getting them those results.

Its obvious the NCAA hardly ever tests for the stuff or players know what time of year they will be tested based on the very few players that have ever been busted for PEDs.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Bama players said it was just deer antler velvet getting them those results.

Its obvious the NCAA hardly ever tests for the stuff or players know what time of year they will be tested based on the very few players that have ever been busted for PEDs.
Everybody except Greer got the message. :p:D

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
I’m sure bama. And by extension UGA know what they can use and get away with.
It’s like an interview I saw with Jeff Gordon’s crew chief years ago when they were winning all the time. He said he didn’t study what was in the rule book. He spent his time finding things that weren’t in it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You love to dog Trask but I don't see how he could be much worse than Franks who has already shown on the actual field he is not even decent FCS level QB material up to this point.
He is much worse bc he is a statue in the pocket and isnt even the slightest run threat.

If you dont understand even the concepts of option football, i cant help you anymore.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He is much worse bc he is a statue in the pocket and isnt even the slightest run threat.

If you dont understand even the concepts of option football, i cant help you anymore.

You want to make a bet on how many times a game Franks actually runs the ball (non--scramble) after the Charleston Southern game against real defenses?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You want to make a bet on how many times a game Franks actually runs the ball (non--scramble) after the Charleston Southern game against real defenses?
Again, that isn't the point. The Qb, I hope it is EJ soon, has to be a "willing runner" in Mullinz words. I know X's and O's isn't your thing but this is the base play in Mullinz offense. It IS the offense, regardless of how it is modified from time to time, ie QB running inside and Rb outside or vice versa.

Insider's Guide to the Zone-Read Play

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Again, that isn't the point. The Qb, I hope it is EJ soon, has to be a "willing runner" in Mullinz words. I know X's and O's isn't your thing but this is the base play in Mullinz offense. It IS the offense, regardless of how it is modified from time to time, ie QB running inside and Rb outside or vice versa.

Insider's Guide to the Zone-Read Play

lol Mullen has had a few years where he didnt let the starting QB run that much. My guess is he doesn't run it much more than Leak did in 05 and 06 which wasn't much for a Mullen offense.

Franks has some speed in open space but he isn't a fit for what Mullen wants to do so I see something similar to 2012 going on though he will run it more than Tyler Russell did which was hardly at all.

Mullen is in a bind since Franks isn't that type of runner and so far has sucked passing the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lol Mullen has had a few years where he didnt let the starting QB run that much. My guess is he doesn't run it much more than Leak did in 05 and 06 which wasn't much for a Mullen offense.

Franks has some speed in open space but he isn't a fit for what Mullen wants to do so I see something similar to 2012 going on though he will run it more than Tyler Russell did which was hardly at all.

Mullen is in a bind since Franks isn't that type of runner and so far has sucked passing the ball.
There is a whole thread on the Tyler Russell offense videos. I posted it. You even commented some.

As some have also noticed, they got their asses destroyed except against their 4 cupcakes and Kintucky. Failed experiment, IMO.

Latsko and running conventional power and iso plays worked better. Even better it to just keep the running QBs on the field.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is a whole thread on the Tyler Russell offense videos. I posted it. You even commented some.

As some have also noticed, they got their asses destroyed.

Bad experiment. Latsko and running conventional power and iso plays worked better.

Well in 2012 they had their typical year where they went 8-5 and scored on the lesser opponents but were shut down by the good opponents about the same as most years except when Prescott was QB in 2014 and they scored on a few decent teams.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Again if UF does not win 10 games this fall, UF hired the wrong guy. UF has better talent than Charleston Southern, UK, Co. State, Miss. State, Vandy, UMo, SoCar and Idaho. This staff better win all or at least 7 of those 8 games. (at Miss State is the toughest of that bunch) UF has roughly equal talent to UTn and LSU and should win no less than one of those two and really should win both or UF has a coach that loses to a new guy at a depleted UTn or Coach O at LSU. UF may have a slight negative talent gap with UGa and FSU and might not win either game.

Still this should get UF to 9 or 10 wins. Then UF should have a bowl game to get that 10th win if UF is still short of 10 wins.

In addition to that Mullen was hired to put a respectable offense on the field. So I also expect some offensive improvement. I would be happy with a middle of the road offense this year along with a respectable defense and competent looking special teams. I also expect UF to once again LOOK like they are clearly more talented and competent than Charleston So, Co. State and Idaho. To me one of the marks of Muschamp/McElwain was how they managed to keep teams like FAU/UL-Lafayette in games despite tremendous talent gaps.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Again if UF does not win 10 games this fall, UF hired the wrong guy. UF has better talent than Charleston Southern, UK, Co. State, Miss. State, Vandy, UMo, SoCar and Idaho. This staff better win all or at least 7 of those 8 games. (at Miss State is the toughest of that bunch) UF has roughly equal talent to UTn and LSU and should win no less than one of those two and really should win both or UF has a coach that loses to a new guy at a depleted UTn or Coach O at LSU. UF may have a slight negative talent gap with UGa and FSU and might not win either game.

Still this should get UF to 9 or 10 wins. Then UF should have a bowl game to get that 10th win if UF is still short of 10 wins.

In addition to that Mullen was hired to put a respectable offense on the field. So I also expect some offensive improvement. I would be happy with a middle of the road offense this year along with a respectable defense and competent looking special teams. I also expect UF to once again LOOK like they are clearly more talented and competent than Charleston So, Co. State and Idaho. To me one of the marks of Muschamp/McElwain was how they managed to keep teams like FAU/UL-Lafayette in games despite tremendous talent gaps.

You are not adjusting enough for the QB factor I think. Miss State's D line is going to give our offense all kinds of fits and we don't usually play well on the road there. I think LSU wins due to the QB position probably even though that guy doesn't have a body of work to really judge him now. I also think our QB situation is why we will lose one game to either SC, TN or KY.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Cheating is to gain an unfair advantage over everyone else. If everyone is doing it, is it still cheating?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You are not adjusting enough for the QB factor I think. Miss State's D line is going to give our offense all kinds of fits and we don't usually play well on the road there. I think LSU wins due to the QB position probably even though that guy doesn't have a body of work to really judge him now. I also think our QB situation is why we will lose one game to either SC, TN or KY.

I have seen lots and lots and lots of bad QBs get good or at least better with better coaching, better play around them and the confidence that comes from success. Also young QBs are generally helped by a good running game and good OL play. Whether UF's OL will be good or not is unknown now, but UF's OL is experienced and in college experience often means some of the guys who were better than you last year are in the NFL and replaced by true frosh.

The old saw that QBs get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses is one adage I think is true. This has gotten even worse during the ESPN era where simple reporters are only able to communicate a simple story to fans.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Cheating is to gain an unfair advantage over everyone else. If everyone is doing it, is it still cheating?

Well with something like steroids I think, if they really damage the health of those that take them, UF fans will hope UF players will not take them regardless of team record. If they don't harm UF's players' health and everyone else is using them then I think most would be all in favor of them. For me it is hard to know if the harm is so bad that I hope one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator