What to expect from this team in the fall?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is true but Fever is correct in that Franks seems fatally flawed. Decision making and composure aside, which I suppose could be improved with coaching, his s-l-o-w delivery and lack of short range accuracy (not uncommon with fireballers) is going to be tough to overcome. He is somewhat athletic and showed some running ability in HS, but really his big arm and somewhat suprisingly good accuracy on long throws are all he has as strengths. I don't know you build an offense around that.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This is true but Fever is correct in that Franks seems fatally flawed. Decision making and composure aside, which I suppose could be improved with coaching, his s-l-o-w delivery and lack of short range accuracy (not uncommon with fireballers) is going to be tough to overcome. He is somewhat athletic and showed some running ability in HS, but really his big arm and somewhat suprisingly good accuracy on long throws are all he has as strengths. I don't know you build an offense around that.

Yes, but of course my comments also apply to guys like Kerwin Bell or Trask too. I am completely agnostic about Franks, Jones and Trask. A good coach will find at least a serviceable QB from among those three, particularly if they let Allen transfer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kerwin Bell was an all county player Edit: all conference and honorable mention all state. He also FIT the offense well, which called for a pocket passer.

Tim Tebow and Trey Burton wouldn't work in SOS system (and wouldn't play QB at all). Bell would (he was pretty accurate).

Wuerrfel and Brantley wouldn't work in Mullinz or similar systems.

You must have the right parts in order for a coach to coach them up.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Kerwin Bell was an all county player and honorable mention all state. He also FIT the offense well, which called for a pocket passer.

Tim Tebow and Trey Burton wouldn't work in SOS system (and wouldn't play QB at all). Bell would (he was pretty accurate).

Wuerrfel and Brantley wouldn't work in Mullinz or similar systems.

You must have the right parts in order for a coach to coach them up.

1. Wuerffel ran an option offense very effectively in high school so I think he would be quite good in a Meyer/Mullen offense.

2. I agree that Tebow would not have fit a Spurrier offense very well.

3. I believe Burton is a TE.

4. Bell as any Pell/Hall QB had the tools to play for Spurrier.

5. You are right that Bell had more high school experience than Trask does. Trask on the other hand was recruited by UF and Bell was not. So I view this as a wash. Bell was a shock to win the job at UF and be that good. I think you would agree that if Trask won the job and was as good as Bell, it would be equally shocking.

6. If you have a good coach, they can take four decent QBs and come up with someone who can play the position credibly. If Mullen can't he is likely not the right guy for the job.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. Wuerffel ran an option offense very effectively in high school so I think he would be quite good in a Meyer/Mullen offense.
LOL seriously?

Some odors moved faster than Danny Wuerffel. He was a tough SOB and could take a hit but he was never going to be an option QB in college.

I swear some of you would argue about the moon being made of cheese.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Wuerffel ran for a 77 yard TD in the Swamp. About the 1 minute mark. He left the DBs in the dust.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Isnt this the case for every QB that takes the field in the SEC for the first time? Why is Trask any different? At least he has worked his ass off trying to get better and has put in the time to get in shape. The kid is a good gator.

Voice of reason? We don't need no stinkin' voice of reason!

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

Unfortunately, you spelled it out pretty well, Franks is so deficient in so many areas that it is hard to see him being successful - no matter what offense you put him in. I guess the only reason I have hopes of Trask being a better option is the fact that I haven't seen enough of him to be as certain as you apparently are that he's even worse than Franks. I hear your arguments - slow, soft, never started, unfit to play in the SEC, etc., etc. But until he actually gets a chance, it's all conjecture. Franks has had ample opportunity, IMO, to demonstrate his capabilities and has failed miserably. I say give the next man up a chance and hope like hell that you are wrong. We do however agree that the sooner EJ is ready to go, the better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. I hear your arguments - slow, soft, never started, unfit to play in the SEC, etc., etc..
You forgot the rest

11-23 vs walkons in the spring game
with two interceptions (hit MLB and SS in the hands w the ball)
0 TDs (no the one to the alum doesnt count)

and- most importantly and while the HBC was literally on the microphone saying he had to have AT LEAST a willing runner- zero Zero ZERO yards rushing. None. Nunca. Nada.

And six yards rushing since junior high, from a kid who didnt play in HS bc the coach wanted to run option.

You guys can fantasize about pissing me off with this Division 3 walkon trash all you want but you are out of your minds. If he steps on the field it is bc everyone else is hurt. And if it steps on the field it is just another black eye to the university that some trash that couldnt get a preferred walkon on North Texas or Stephen F Austin is wearing our uniform.

The stench of Butters needs to be cleaned from the program.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You forgot the rest

and- most importantly and while the HBC was literally on the microphone saying he had to have AT LEAST a willing runner- zero Zero ZERO yards rushing. None. Nunca. Nada.

You guys can fantasize about pissing me off with this Division 3 walkon trash all you want but you are out of your minds. If he steps on the field it is bc everyone else is hurt.

Franks will be our starting QB. Period. Trask and Jones will get some early season PT. Jones will close the season as the starter.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
You forgot the rest

And six yards rushing since junior high, from a kid who didnt play in HS bc the coach wanted to run option.

You guys can fantasize about pissing me off with this Division 3 walkon trash all you want but you are out of your minds. If he steps on the field it is bc everyone else is hurt. And if it steps on the field it is just another black eye to the university that some trash that couldnt get a preferred walkon on North Texas or Stephen F Austin is wearing our uniform.

You flatter yourself if you think anyone actually fantasizes about you. Get a grip Sparky.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Imo this team will struggle on offense until we find a QB. The OL will be mediocre but the RBs will shine. I'm expecting a year like 2012 on offense and the defense being average at best 6-8 wins. We won't come within 2 TDs of UGA or FSU. We'll beat UT and LSU but lose to SCAR and Missouri

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
You forgot the rest

If Trask does anything more than some mop-up appearances or in an emergency it would be a story unique in the history of college football. The story is he didn’t play BECAUSE HIS HS RAN AN OFFENSE LIKE MULLEN’S.

I assume he’s a nice kid and a hard worker and I wish him the best. I’d love to be wrong. But the media running with the Trask story are feeding of our collective desperation.

It is far more likely that Franks takes a big step forward or Jones adapts quickly to this level. In an emergency, I’d expect them to turn to Toney. That would be interesting.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
LOL seriously?

Some odors moved faster than Danny Wuerffel. He was a tough SOB and could take a hit but he was never going to be an option QB in college.

I swear some of you would argue about the moon being made of cheese.

giphy.gif

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Im not expecting much from the team this year...or next really. Hoping for 8 wins, expecting 7. Hoping for a decent bowl performance. Hoping Mullen doesn't turn into a Gator version of Mark Richt....winning just enough games and improving things just enough to avoid being fired, yet rarely winning anything meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.