What's your best argument against expanding the CFP to eight teams? (Poll!)

What should happen with the College Football Playoff?

• Leave it the $%@# alone, it's good enough like it is.

• Keep it at four teams, but change the criteria for getting in.

• Expand it to 8 teams.

• Expand it to 16 teams.

• Eliminate the CFP and go back to #1 vs. #2.

• Something else, which I will explain it my response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
The point is that it doesn't make anyone less wrong, or more right. You don't get to decide what would make college football more enjoyable for me, nor I for you.

I agree completely. I don't really care if they expand it to 8, 12, or 16 teams. College football is dying thanks to NIL anyway. Dont be surprised when players start opting out because they don't want to play a 4 loss team in the first round. Bottom line is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the system we have now and there is no reason to change it. Yet...change it we will...because we have proven over and over that we can never leave something the fck alone when its working as designed.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I agree completely. I don't really care if they expand it to 8, 12, or 16 teams. College football is dying thanks to NIL anyway. Dont be surprised when players start opting out because they don't want to play a 4 loss team in the first round. Bottom line is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the system we have now and there is no reason to change it. Yet...change it we will...because we have proven over and over that we can never leave something the fck alone when its working as designed.
So I guess you're one of those people I mentioned before -- the only change you want to see is for UF to take the place of Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State as one of those teams that typically makes the CFP nearly every year? If so do you have a plan in mind for how that could happen?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

This. As I’ve said many times, outside of maybe 2-3 years from 1998 to 2014 was there ever even a third team with a legitimate gripe.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So I guess you're one of those people I mentioned before -- the only change you want to see is for UF to take the place of Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State as one of those teams that typically makes the CFP nearly every year? If so do you have a plan in mind for how that could happen?

First, its ridiculous to think that expanding the playoff will 'bring parity' to the game. With NIL, the rich will just get richer. The good news is that my plan on how to elevate UF works regardless of how many playoff spots there are. First, those ruling the roost at the top won't be there forever. Saban will retire. Dabo isn't all that as this season showed. Kirby is kirby and will make bad decisions every year until he eventually goes to the NFL. Second, give Napier time to recruit and develop his program and players. If he's not the guy, then it won't matter how many playoff spots there are. We won't be in any of them.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
12 teams
5 conference champs guaranteed
2 group of five. guarantee
5 at large top ranked teams left on board

No minimum number of teams from one conference
4 top ranked teams get a first round bye

PS Only argument against expanding to 8 teams is I think it should be expanded to 12 teams

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
12 teams
5 conference champs guaranteed
2 group of five. guarantee
5 at large top ranked teams left on board

No minimum number of teams from one conference
4 top ranked teams get a first round bye

PS Only argument against expanding to 8 teams is I think it should be expanded to 12 teams
I'm close with this plan, only one slight modification the top four seeded conference champs get the bye. Winning the tough conferences should matter.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
winning usually helps...

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Playoffs are for phags. Phags that have a case full of participation trophies. "Parity" is the warm semen they swallow through glory holes.
Yeah, sure. Earning the championship by playing games on the field is for phags who want participation trophies. Real men prefer for their team to get into the championship game based on how a bunch of nerdy sportswriters voted in a poll.

giphy.gif

There was a reason we used to call it the "Mythical" National Championship.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

So how do we change that? I'm saying we should consider something different that we haven't tried yet.

Why? The system wasn't broken. The system worked great for us. Win the SEC championship game and we play for the National title (most years and likely even more true in the future). Why in God's name would we want to play 2-3 more games against inferior competition where we risk injury or a loss due to some freaky play or bad call by a ref.
My God we've seen it for decades when we play OOC. We just want to get out of the game without an injury. Are we afraid of the competition? Hell no. It's just pragmatic.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
AE829137-47EE-471A-8B3A-1FDB494F4E2A.jpeg

I hate all playoffs or anything beyond the bowls. I don’t even really like conference championship games. The beauty of CFB lay in its imperfection, its uncertainty, its ambiguity, its speculations, its myths, its legends. A single game no matter how important does not make a season. And a team with 2 or 3 losses will never deserve to be there against an undefeated team. I don’t care what you call it that will never be a championship game in any meaningful sense. The regular season must take priority again.

Abolish it all. Get away from playoffs and go back towards more significant inter-conference games throughout the year, beginning middle and end. I’d rather see a game added to the schedule than any form of playoff.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
As much as I love football, there are too many games as it is. The punishment a football player goes thru on game day is compounded twice during the week. Now we have a 12 game regular season, a conference championship, and two playoff games for a total of 15. To win a NC, you pretty much HAVE to win 14 games. That is a LOT.

I would reduce it to 10 regular season games, 1 conference championship game (as a playoff game), and then a championship game. I would also rotate the conference games better so every 4 years every team plays everyone else and where we could add an OOC team like UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, OU, UCLA, etc.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I love football, there are too many games as it is. The punishment a football player goes thru on game day is compounded twice during the week. Now we have a 12 game regular season, a conference championship, and two playoff games for a total of 15. To win a NC, you pretty much HAVE to win 14 games. That is a LOT.

I would reduce it to 10 regular season games, 1 conference championship game (as a playoff game), and then a championship game. I would also rotate the conference games better so every 4 years every team plays everyone else and where we could add an OOC team like UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, OU, UCLA, etc.
We talkin bout a game here bruh....a game.
There are far more difficult things these people could be doing that are much more physically punishing and that pay a schit ton less :lol:
The NFL now has a 17 game regular season. Are you going to tell me that someone making the transition from college to the NFL can't do it because it's simply too punishing? If not, what's so magical about going from college to the NFL that makes the difference for a player that can't handle 14 or 15 games in college?

Why don't we just make it flag football so it's less "punishing"

Come on man :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We talkin bout a game here bruh....a game.
There are far more difficult things these people could be doing that are much more physically punishing and that pay a schit ton less :lol:
The NFL now has a 17 game regular season. Are you going to tell me that someone making the transition from college to the NFL can't do it because it's simply too punishing? If not, what's so magical about going from college to the NFL that makes the difference for a player that can't handle 14 or 15 games in college?

Why don't we just make it flag football so it's less "punishing"

Come on man :lol:
it's a full time job and they don't have to worry about school and all that crap. Teams all get a couple by weeks as well. It's not a fair comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator