When did you become convinced re Mullen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When he was hired, I considered it a slide-in double. Not great, not terrible. Definitely not excited.

I was pretty pissed after UK and Missouri.

After FSU, and especially after Michigan, I would revise him to a standup triple.

I really want to be more excited. But I still suffer from battered Chump and Butters syndrome.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Based on the answers so far, I think we have a possible divide over the word "convinced."

How are you convinced? Significant improvement in year one? You're not convinced until there's an SEC title? He sucks if there's no nattie?

What if Dan the Man proved to be the second greatest transitional coach after Ron Zook? Would that convince you?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Convinced on Mullen? Hell, half this board still isn't convinced on Meyer.

Gotta love the trajectory so far of the program but I'm damn sure not convinced on anything other than he's light years ahead of the last two slap dicks.
This is me exactly.

Hopeful, cautiously optimistic,but still waiting for evidence.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Based on the answers so far, I think we have a possible divide over the word "convinced."

How are you convinced? Significant improvement in year one? You're not convinced until there's an SEC title? He sucks if there's no nattie?

What if Dan the Man proved to be the second greatest transitional coach after Ron Zook? Would that convince you?
Elite recruiting and not losing to Kintucky and Methzu are the next steps.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At the introduction when he stepped off the plane Gator Phukkin Chompin!!!
:chomp:

Me also Auggie. Seeing how fully thrilled Mullen was to be "back home" getting off that plane, I felt we had our best coach. No credit because I barely know coaching of football.

Now after a fine 10-3 exciting but straining season, I feel that UF will return to Atlanta soon and we'll give Bama trouble. It's feasible that the better, multi-skilled athletes Mullen-Florida will enroll will actually allow Dan to learn new offensive schemes, that is broaden Mullen's thinking, experimenting.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Me also Auggie. Seeing how fully thrilled Mullen was to be "back home" getting off that plane, I felt we had our best coach. No credit because I barely know coaching of football.

Now after a fine 10-3 exciting but straining season, I feel that UF will return to Atlanta soon and we'll give Bama trouble. It's feasible that the better, multi-skilled athletes Mullen-Florida will enroll will actually allow Dan to learn new offensive schemes, that is broaden Mullen's thinking, experimenting.
A hundred likes, if I could Rog!

I'd love to think we could build this this long term and consistent, like a Clemson, but with a faster timetable, like Satan did at Bammer, but I know better and realize Gator Nation will run him out like CUM. :sadnanner:

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
When he was hired, I considered it a slide-in double. Not great, not terrible. Definitely not excited.

I was pretty pissed after UK and Missouri.

After FSU, and especially after Michigan, I would revise him to a standup triple.

I really want to be more excited. But I still suffer from battered Chump and Butters syndrome.

Battered Butters syndrome... I like it!!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
was feeling pretty decent until that dwag and mizzo skid, but he turned it around and the team really started playing well. FSU whipping had me pretty darn excited. Bowl game had me fist pumping jersey guido style. I still wouldn't say im convinced hes THE guy. But I am convinced hes pretty solid, and a hell of a lot better than anything weve had in a long time.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I've been consistent, I'll agree with it being a great hire when:
1. We Beat FSU
2. We win the SEC

So far we've done #1.

However, his press conferences, his saying the Gator Standard is SEC and National Title (as in winning the East means nothing after the last guy had east titles painted inside the stadium), his outcoaching some other coaches, and his body of work with a QB that never in his entire life had a QB or OC coach until last January all play a factor into me being more positive about the hire. Beating Michigan was very big as well. Even in the losses he called a pretty good game, but the players executed like crap. What I mean is, against UK we had poor line play and way too many drops (looking at you RJ Raymond on the sideline as an example) and Trey Dean with his first significant snaps in his first FBS game as a true freshman, against UGA its a different game if Franks hits the bomb and Scarlett doesn't fumble a few plays later and if Hendo isn't injured and if Franks doesn't fumble at the goalline (what a f***ing stand by the D there), and we all know how awful Franks was in the air against Mizzou and if he hits a few of the passes that were wide open its a different game.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The FSU game.

Here’s why.

When Taggart was introduced as FSU’s Head Coach, he was asked who his favorite rapper was. He said “man, I like Kodak Black”.

Fast forward to the end of November. Big rivalry game. Haven’t won in 5 years. Have a shot of ending their bowl streak. All of that should have been enough. But not to Mullen. Not to a Florida coach who gets it.

I’ve never seen such a big dick move ever in football. Mullen brought Kodak Black to Tally, decked him out in gator gear, had him on our sideline, and began to skull fvkk Taggart and FSU into their first losing season since 1976.

That’s when I knew. That’s what Gator coaches do to their rivals. The guy truly gets it

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
What does he have to do to win you over?

I fully expected Mullen to make the team look far better and have a substantial turnaround. My concern was, and is, that we hired Richt for UF. Richt most frequently performed at a B+ level, with variation to A- to B-, and rarely a C+. He never performed an A+ level. But, they also lost games they had no business losing every year and seriously struggled to beat his biggest rivals. Richt did rise up in the bowl games to beat the Big 10. He averaged 3.4 losses at UGA.

So, did losing 3 games, including the Mizzou (in particular, how we did) and KY, while having a good, not great recruiting class convince me? No.

To the "what will" question, winning the SEC certainly helps, but not if we backed in and pulled out one really good game.

Basically, context matters. Are we legitimate national title contenders and top 3 recruiting contenders most years for at least a long portion of the year. Of course we will not make it every year, but are we legit in the running. If so, I'll be convinced, because that is the Gator Standard. This year, I didn't expect us to be at that level for most of the season (of course), but good thing, because we made it clear we weren't when we lost to UK in game two.

Win the SEC.

Based on the current trajectory, do you think that's likely or even possible?

Yes, I absolutely believe the trajectory shows its possible, as is my hope regained that we will be competing amongst the top 5-8 teams nearly every year.

If this thread was "When did you regain true hope?", then I would acknowledge I was too down on Mullen pre-hire and at his start. I expected much better than the last two idiots, but hope was still lost. I didn't falter in that position until around the second half of the Michigan game. By that point, recruiting was starting to turn finally and we were beginning to really show desire and focus against a team that had crushed us a year early (as I watched in Dallas). I've expanded my season tickets to 4 seats for the kids and definitely expect more fun on Saturdays moving forward. I'm also hopeful we make it all the way back. I'm not "convinced" we will yet though.

Another way to phrase this where I'd come out more pumperish than my original answer: "If you had to bet your life savings on the Gators under Mullen either will get back to the consistently elite group or will not, which would you bet right now? And, is that different from how you would have voted on December 1, 2018"

My answers would be I'd bet it's more likely we get there than not (facilities notwithstanding) and I definitely didn't think that on December 1, 2018.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
If I'm being honest I'm still not convinced he can win a championship for us. I will say though he's done 1000 times better than I thought he'd do. If were being honest we have the toughest road to the playoffs, we have to make it through LSU, UGA, and Bama to make it to the playoffs. As of right now I dont trust Mullen to win 2/3 of those games in 1 year to get us there. If recruiting continues to move forward It will change my mind but that's my honest opinion. My mind is being changed but it's not changed yet Mullen is doing a great job though wi gr h what he has.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Well, I do like that he threw Butterwain under the bus during his intro presser. It was up and down season. We were great, then we sucked, then we neat lsu and we're great, then sucked, then it was all good. Looking for more consistency, but Mullen did wonders this season.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Opening press conference. I was pretty uninspired by the announcement. The press conference showed he knew everything about this school and program. Most say it was empty words at that point but the guy had enough experience here with Meyer to back it up as a CEO and his work ethic.

Honestly People are gonna dump on me but the Georgia game solidified it for me because we had the game plan to win. Franks had a terrible outing and we lost another key player in the secondary but the game plan was there. Mizzou shook my confidence a bit but not for long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator