Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not convinced Napier is here 2 more seasons no matter what, but he's definitely getting next year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not convinced Napier is here 2 more seasons no matter what, but he's definitely getting next year.

He's getting in the door, but beyond that it'll essentially be a week to week contract. My mind can't rule out a mid-season firing if the crapfest continues. You can feel the fan base patience be tested and the resentment build, which can't be ignored just because he sold us on a long-term build. He's earned a short leash through his bumbling management style.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's getting in the door, but beyond that it'll essentially be a week to week contract. My mind can't rule out a mid-season firing if the crapfest continues. You can feel the fan base patience be tested and the resentment build, which can't be ignored just because he sold us on a long-term build. He's earned a short leash through his bumbling management style.
I don't disagree. When I say he's getting next year, I simply mean he's not getting fired this year.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
What information do you have that says the current administration gives two hoots about the fan base and what they think? I believe Strictnine and the administration are completely on-board with a long term re-build and BN is a lock regardless of W/L record. Keep recruiting solid citizens, very high team GPA, articulate young men who do not embarrass themselves or the university seems to be more important than W/L record. Just my opinion but sure seems reality based vs the wishful thinking of "bring back UM"

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
articulate young men
racist wonder showzen GIF

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What information do you have that says the current administration gives two hoots about the fan base and what they think? I believe Strictnine and the administration are completely on-board with a long term re-build and BN is a lock regardless of W/L record. Keep recruiting solid citizens, very high team GPA, articulate young men who do not embarrass themselves or the university seems to be more important than W/L record. Just my opinion but sure seems reality based vs the wishful thinking of "bring back UM"
I think they intended a long term rebuild too, but I don't think anyone thought it would go this poorly so quickly.

Season 3 with .500 or below and the noise in the system gets deafening

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think they intended a long term rebuild too, but I don't think anyone thought it would go this poorly so quickly.

Season 3 with .500 or below and the noise in the system gets deafening
Who knows... what we do know is that Stricklin said at the time of hiring that Billy laid out a COMPLETE plan for what he wanted to do. I'd be very surprised if that plan did not include some kind of assessment as to what his W/L expectations were year by year for the first 5 years (or length of contract), and I highly doubt that said expectations were on the high side for W's in the first 3 years, especially with essentially knowing what the schedule would be (minus maybe UT and OU coming to the SEC).

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who knows... what we do know is that Stricklin said at the time of hiring that Billy laid out a COMPLETE plan for what he wanted to do. I'd be very surprised if that plan did not include some kind of assessment as to what his W/L expectations were year by year for the first 5 years (or length of contract), and I highly doubt that said expectations were on the high side for W's in the first 3 years, especially with essentially knowing what the schedule would be (minus maybe UT and OU coming to the SEC).
if you're right, wouldn't the big money boosters have to be "in the know" about it? 3 years of sub .500 is impossible to ignore.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
if you're right, wouldn't the big money boosters have to be "in the know" about it? 3 years of sub .500 is impossible to ignore.
No. But maybe they are in the know, and maybe they aren't screaming the same way every HS has been is.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The contract with SEC Network has also reduced some of the power the big money boosters have. Not to say their are not some still donated more than what the network send, but that number has been reduced.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i have a hard time believing that if there were objective, measurable metrics outlined in this detailed plan, that we would currently be in line with the expected measurements. If I'm wrong, I guess I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for some of those discussions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scottie: "So in year 2 we are still going to have no ST coach and the play will actually get worse?"

Tater: "Well yes, you see, in order to improve, we first have to learn how to do everything wrong, and demonstrate that we've learned it each and every week."

Scottie: "Ok, i mean, i guess i can buy off on that b/c im such a huge pvssy, but can't we at least put 11 guys on the field before we screw up the kick?"

Tater: "Scared money dont make money"

Scottie:

Tater:

Scottie: "uhhh..."

Tater:

Scottie: "ok, im in..."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

The UAA, UF admin, the media and the fans are never going to be on the same page at the same time regarding a struggling coach. But it's inaccurate to suggest one ought not pay attention to the other, esp coming from the side that speaks final and loudest. We're on our way to 11-14 under Napier. You and I haven't seen a worse start or, worse still, the level of bungling that has accompanied it. It's reached the point of embarrassment, the point where senior management tends to assess things with a higher level of scrutiny. Is our guy utilizing all the assets at his disposal to lead us in the right direction?

It's only logical to assume Napier will be expected to show tangible signs of improvement in 2024 less his future comes into question. How hot the seat gets, naturally, will be a function of wins and losses. I've been around long enough to know you never rule out anything. If he goes to, say, 12-16 and the team looks lethargic and ill-prepared, I think he could get the axe.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
The UAA, UF admin, the media and the fans are never going to be on the same page at the same time regarding a struggling coach. But it's inaccurate to suggest one ought not pay attention to the other, esp coming from the side that speaks final and loudest. We're on our way to 11-14 under Napier. You and I haven't seen a worse start or, worse still, the level of bungling that has accompanied it. It's reached the point of embarrassment, the point where senior management tends to assess things with a higher level of scrutiny. Is our guy utilizing all the assets at his disposal to lead us in the right direction?

It's only logical to assume Napier will be expected to show tangible signs of improvement in 2024 less his future comes into question. How hot the seat gets, naturally, will be a function of wins and losses. I've been around long enough to know you never rule out anything. If he goes to, say, 12-16 and the team looks lethargic and ill-prepared, I think he could get the axe.
Could be. We shall see as a losing season in 24 seems a lock based on the results to date. If BN does many of the things suggested this off-season and manages to hold together what appears to be a great class then I believe another losing season does not get him fired. If he digs in his heels and continues to be a crap play caller, ST without a leader, inept D that cannot tackle or line up correctly (I thought we fired Grantham) then our admin will submit to the noise and make his grandchildren rich before most are born. Don't ya love this system?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Could be. We shall see as a losing season in 24 seems a lock based on the results to date. If BN does many of the things suggested this off-season and manages to hold together what appears to be a great class then I believe another losing season does not get him fired. If he digs in his heels and continues to be a crap play caller, ST without a leader, inept D that cannot tackle or line up correctly (I thought we fired Grantham) then our admin will submit to the noise and make his grandchildren rich before most are born. Don't ya love this system?
He won't even finish next season if it looks like this one.

We are losing bc of all the stupid crap you listed above. The idea that we will still have a losing season even if he fixes that stuff is even more reason to can his stupid ass.

A good coach with a good staff and these same players would win 9 games this year without question.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Yes it is and the administration, as those who have close ties have expressed, will never go for someone like a Meyer, Kiffen, Miles, Petrino to lead the program again. How vested the administration is for fielding title winning football/ basketball teams seems like wishful thinking not supported by factual evidence. BN is going to be here for at least the next two seasons regardless of how inept we perform the next two weeks!
Agree totally that the current administration does not value championships at all. Football is viewed as a necessity to fund the title IX sports.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I put Currie and Batt on here due to their prowess raising coin. Lovo started as a student assistant under Urbs and is moving up the chain rapidly.

Nothing changes without a change at the top.

There are a bunch of “other” names out there, go ahead and list them.
You, but just so the board can clamor to fire you

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And then what? Stricklin rubs his hands together and gets to work, finding that "right guy" again?

:ohboy:

When does an AD at UF finally get some accountability? If Foley had been fired right alongside Zook like he should have back in 2004, who knows where we could be today.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And then what? Stricklin rubs his hands together and gets to work, finding that "right guy" again?

:ohboy:

When does an AD at UF finally get some accountability? If Foley had been fired right alongside Zook like he should have back in 2004, who knows where we could be today.

You're right to insinuate that Stricklin's fate is tied to Napier's, as well it should. That makes the situation all the more complicated. Would Stricklin fire his own guy, thus admitting his own mistake? Would UF trust Stricklin to make another hire? Does that increase the likelihood that Napier and Stricklin would get axed together? Is Sasse anywhere near to having the confidence to assert his ultimate authority?

I laugh at the concern for optics in threads on the Main Forum. Optics? We've had 14 years of bad optics. Look where we are as a result. We have to do what has to be done and not worry about what the rest of the world thinks. If getting rid of Napier before the so-called requisite three or four years is the answer or if cleaning house is needed, it's what we have to do. Doing the SOS and expecting a different result is, well, we know the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.