Who is our new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My son's peewee coach, Ron Howell, is available. He would be an upgrade!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are a lot of reasons to want Frost, many of which were listed throughout this thread already. He and Kelly are at the top of my list...not sure if Kelly is realistic though, but we'll see.
I would be really happy with Fuente, but reality is, it is highly unlikely he leaves Va Tech. Regardless, if Frost is a no go, at least place the call to Fuente...you never know.
I like some of the numbers Norvell is putting up on offense, but his defensive numbers are absolutely abysmal. He'd have to find a really good set of defensive coaches, and I'm not sure he has those connections, so while I like his offense, Norvell is more a last resort for me.
I'm not overly impressed with Matt Campbell's offense, but he seems to have a factor about him that seems good, I just can't put my finger on it. At any rate, he is down there with Norvell.

Frost or Kelly or bust for me.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well the guy who wrote this maybe missed a couple of things:

1. Campbell like McElwain might have a buyout exemption list. Campbell might have been smart enough to put UF on that list. I guess we may hear about that.

2. Campbell's base compensation for coaching football is $265,000. There are 4 years left on his contract maybe his buyout in one way of looking at it $1,060,000. He has some other guaranteed money but that is for secondary services provided. It sounds like he could quite as ISU football coach pay the buyout and offer to stay on and do the coaches show or go to booster club meetings. I am not sure if ISU really wants him doing their coaches show next year if he is the UF coach, but who knows. I am sure he could do back to back shows in a studio in Gainesville, one with UF highlights and one with ISU highlights.

3. These low base salaries in coaches contracts are so the coach can be fired with only the base salary as the buy out. So I think Campbell is in play.

I thought the low base salaries were because its the sponsors paying most of the coaches salary for doing commercials for them and all that stuff plus the advertising on the school's stuff. I don't think it has much to do with the buyout stuff.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I somewhat disagree. We are firing him because he did quit. He has openly shown that he can’t do this with all of the elements involved. And then he lies to make himself feel better.

People always say that teams take on the mentality of their coach. Despite any faux bravado, our team clearly quit today.

I’m in the camp that we pay him a bit but not the whole thing. Bulls and UAA need to learn from this one or we’ll just do it again.
He shows up every day and collects part of his 13 million dollar check, so technically he didn't quit. I get what you're saying but he didn't just quit today, over time he's proven he's incapable of performing his job at the level we expect. We will fire him. We are at fault for hiring him and then not firing his sorry ass sooner. There will be a negotiated buyout.
However you and I are both wrong as Lawdonkey explained he was referring to the new hires buyout, not MacButtholes. When entering the thread, I only went back as far as the post exchange between Gator in Georgia and Donkey (my error) where they appeared to be discussing Butters , not the poaching of a new coach.
Back to the roofing analogy, Divot's example was wrong as well, as the photograph he displayed was a completed roof that was in disarray as the result of a wind event. I would argue here that the homeowner is damaged as a result of probable improper installation (i.e. improper nailing), supported by evidence in the same photograph the surrounding neighbors roofs lived through the same event with no apparent damage.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I'm not advocating for him, but it would be fun to take Lane Kiffen into Knoxville and blow the Vols out with him at the helm.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I do not want Mullen here. I am hoping that the booster don't like Mullen (long been rumored), and they pressure the AD not to hire him. Mullen isn't a bad coach, but the Gators can and should do a lot better than him.

Personally, I'd drop a Brinks truck off in Frost's front yard, and make him turn down all the cash. If he turns us down, I am not sure who I would go after next, but it would not be Mullen.
No chance for Mullen. Strickland knows him.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The more I think about it, the more Frost is at the top of my list. Even over Kelly. I'm not sure why anyone is enamored with Norvell. NOBODY wants Mullen.

GatorArts

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2017
There are a couple of guys I'd be very happy to end up with, but Chip Kelly is at the top of my list.

1. No buyout.
2. Has openly said it isn't about money, but the right fit.
3. Would create instant buzz about the program.
4. Could be hired right now enabling a good recruiting class.
5. Is considered a great offensive mind.
6. Has a good record of getting his teams to the postseason, including the NC game.
7. He's lead a big program before to success.
8. Many of our rivals are already crapping their pants at the chance we hire him.

The knock against him is the show clause. He paid a recruiting service to scout players and the scouting service paid a few of them. He denies any knowledge of it. I say so what and lesson learned by him. It's not like he was calling hookers or overlooking pedos in his program.

OtownGator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The best thing that happened last night was Nebraska beating Purdue pushing them to 4-4 keeping their bowl hopes alive and most likely delaying a head coach firing until after (or later in) the season or to next year. With winninable games against northwestern (home), Minnesota, and Iowa (home) left on their schedule they might make a bowl game and show up late to the Scott Frost sweepstakes.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
You have this backwards. Law is explaining it in terms of the school UF would be poaching a coach from. It is their damages.

His point is that school would be able to hire another coach. They would need a new name plate for the head coaches office. They might use a search firm. Still these costs are in the 10s of thousands of dollars, maybe six figures, but not in the millions of dollars.

More of a problem is that the school would sue the person that left not the hiring program. Still if for example McElwain had said screw you to CSU, to get huge damages they would have had to go into court and argue that McElwain was so much better than their current coach their damages from the breach were in the multiple 7 figures. I am not sure arguing in court that your current coach is much worse than your prior coach is something an athletic department wants to do.

Just a guess but I think they could also argue that the current coach is as good as the former coach but they had to pay him more than they were paying the old coach to hire him (I.e.- due to a change in the marketplace for coaches) and therefore they suffered monetary damages.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Why not be slow and thorough in making this choice. Advertise it this way:

If you are interested in becoming the Gators HC submit the following to this website;

1. Your resume
2. Minimal salary
3. Personal cell phone number.

This info will be kept strictly confidential.

We might get some really good surprises.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just a guess but I think they could also argue that the current coach is as good as the former coach but they had to pay him more than they were paying the old coach to hire him (I.e.- due to a change in the marketplace for coaches) and therefore they suffered monetary damages.
This is true and some aspects are amorphous so the parties can agree to fix the amount but it must be reasonably related as I was saying.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly
Frost
Gundy
Fuente

Don’t care if it’s “unreasonable” or “not likely,” just give it a shot. Let’s go for a homerun instead of a bargain.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Get the check book out. We’ve found out going the cheap route costs more than the experienced costly selection. If the one we want turns us down, up the ante. There’s a price that will move almost anyone. We cannot afford to hire another dud.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only way we get a new coach named before the end of the season is obviously if its Kelly or someone else who isn't currently coaching another team. If its gonna be Frost, Campbell, etc we are just gonna have to wait about six weeks or so and watch some exhibition football until we find out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only way we get a new coach named before the end of the season is obviously if its Kelly or someone else who isn't currently coaching another team. If its gonna be Frost, Campbell, etc we are just gonna have to wait about six weeks or so and watch some exhibition football until we find out.
Right even if they think they have their guy and have an unofficial agreement in principal, nothing happens soon and things can change in a flash.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing our new HC will be Randy Shannon. At least until someone else is hired on a more permanent basis.

Punto

BANNED
Jan 22, 2015
I'm on-record: our new coach will be Bob Stoops, Charlie Strong, or Dan Mullen. I'm okay with any of those hires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.