Who threw the prettiest ball as Gator QB?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Chris Leak threw the most beautiful spirals I've ever seen out of any quarterback. Did anyone ever drop a pass he threw? I feel like it would be impossible to drop one of those.
Only if they got caught staring at its magnificence as it spun its way towards them. He really threw incredibly tight spirals. Too bad he came along when he did - might have made it in today’s NFL when being 6’4” isn't a requirement for QBs anymore.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sexy Rexy had some beautiful balls.
Did he now? :whistle:

Seriously, I have to think Leak and Grossman would be up there. One I remember that wasn't successful, but threw a tight spiral was Rodney Brewer. Unfortunately in a game against Rutgers, he threw more to them than he did us and thus ended what might have been a promising left-handed Gator QB.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thought Doug Johnson threw a perfect pass. He forced it a lot ... would throw too hard sometimes ... but that ball was perfect with zip every time.
Good call on Dougie - maybe takes too big of a hit for not being national championship caliber, but definitely had the arm for it.

I don’t know what either of you were talking about. Nobody threw it into the dirt like Doug did. It seemed like his passes were always at the feet of the receivers.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Only if they got caught staring at its magnificence as it spun its way towards them. He really threw incredibly tight spirals. Too bad he came along when he did - might have made it in today’s NFL when being 6’4” isn't a requirement for QBs anymore.

I met him when he was at UF. He was a small guy. I think he was too small to make it in the NFL.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I don’t know what either of you were talking about. Nobody threw it into the dirt like Doug did. It seemed like his passes were always at the feet of the receivers.

You rarely do know what people are talking about. Whats new. Doug was very accurate. He just took way too many risks and it drove SOS crazy.

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Ingle Martin?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You rarely do know what people are talking about. Whats new. Doug was very accurate. He just took way too many risks and it drove SOS crazy.

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Ingle Martin?

I’m not. I remember constantly getting frustrated with his short passes.

As an aside, I met a lot of the players in the 90s and early 2000s since I worked at the airport. And a lot of the guys were really nice guys. Leak, Rex, and Palmer We’re all exceptionally nice guys. One guy that was really nice that may surprise you was Gerard Warren.

Shane Matthews was really nice as well. Although it surprised me that he was really really really rail thin. I saw him one time when he got back from training camp in Buffalo. And he was wearing shorts. I kept running through my mind that if someone hit him hard enough they would snap him in two.

Doug Johnson was true to his namesake. A giant prick.

But That had nothing to do with this throwing. He threw a nice tight spiral with quick release Which is why I think he played in the NFL as long as he did. I think with the Falcons right?
But he constantly threw it at the receivers feet. Killed so many drives.

As for Ingles Martin, if I recall he was a big-time option QB from Tennessee. Maybe I’m wrong.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Ingle Martin under threw every single pass. His nickname was one hopper.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Thought Doug Johnson threw a perfect pass. He forced it a lot ... would throw too hard sometimes ... but that ball was perfect with zip every time.

Dougie was good but he choked on the biggest throw of his career when he couldn't hit the broadside of Bobby Bowden in the pregame brawl that cost us the game against FSU that year! :bwahaha:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grossman had the best combination of arm and touch amongst the passers I've seen. No telling what he may have done if Spurrier hadn't left for the NFL. He was better at executing the SOS offense than even Wuerffel.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The obvious answer is Claribelle.
In hindsight, that was probably the dumbest thing he said. Dude only had 1 competent QB his entire tenure. He inherited that guy and ran him out of town for trying to do his own S&C (since it wasn’t provided) and for not falling in line (like LDR). It’s crazy how much of a total disaster he was. Or how our previous AD thought he was worth a shot.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I was just a lad at Southwest Elementary in Lakeland when Wayne Peace was a local star -- but never saw him live at Florida Field - how was he as a passer because he was revered in Lakeland at the time.

I was at Southwest Junior High. Peace was a year behind me and at Crystal Lake. He was a fullback until his junior year. He threw a nice ball and set a completion % record.

And (assuming you went on to SW Jr. High also) I do a mean John Kersey impression. “May I have your attention, please, for the afternoon announcements...”

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
feleipe-franks-shush.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads