Who threw the prettiest ball as Gator QB?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Leak had a great spiral but it always seemed to be in slow motion to me. Rex had the power behind his.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

That play was so perfect all around. OL was excellent in pass pro. Grier stayed in the pocket and delivered a strike. WR blocking was perfect and no one was catching Calloway. I’d rate that one over the “Heave to Cleave” if it had occurred with time expiring but Franks’ sliding around in the pocket (pocket awareness, surprisingly) and delivering a dagger with no time remaining was pure magic. Franks best moment as a Gator so far.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I was at Southwest Junior High. Peace was a year behind me and at Crystal Lake. He was a fullback until his junior year. He threw a nice ball and set a completion % record.

And (assuming you went on to SW Jr. High also) I do a mean John Kersey impression. “May I have your attention, please, for the afternoon announcements...”

Wow....Reppin’ L-town!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Whoever we land on should be the 100 out of a 1-100 scale. We could start an entire other thread about who threw the worst ball.

Shane Matthews: Threw a very pretty ball, though I may have been punch drunk from the Kyle Morris/Herbert Perry/Donald Douglas era just before.

John Reaves: JR to Carlos, baby! Also, not surprisingly, came back to UF with Spurrier and worked with Mr. Shane Matthews.

Who ya got?

Well given that Wuerffel threw the most catchable ball I remember, I guess I would go with Grossman or Doug Johnson for the "prettiest." Both threw very nice looking short, intermediate and long passes. Actually Franks is right up there with them in terms of the look of the pass. Reaves also might be the correct answer but in those days you did not get to see them play enough games and it was a long time ago.

Mathews did not throw a very nice looking pass in my view. As for Leak, he was a pretty weenie armed QB which contributed him being one of the few if not only un-NFL-drafted UF multi-year starting QB since UF ditched the wishbone.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Danny and the fade. Next.

That being said, their was no prettier one ball in Gator history than this one IMHO, in the same direction as that damnable ****ing cocksucking Scott play four years prior. It was as if an albatross had been loosed from the Gators, had lost 6 in a row, 9 of 10, and 11 of 13 to the UGA scum, watching Nattiel run down that sideline untouched, and the goal line stand just before it, and shutting the bastards out to top the day...….

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kerwin threw a damned fine ball. But if you define "pretty" as the ball in the air, Leak. That said, I'd define it as meeting the receiver perfectly, in stride and where only the receiver can get it. And that, hands down, was Danny.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Bob Hewko (that's a joke, btw. He was UF's answer to Billy Kilmer! ☺️ )

Last edited:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Doug Johnson actually may have had the prettiest ball of everyone. Unfortunately you were never totally sure where it was going to go.

He was college football's version of 'Nuke' Laloosh from Bull Durham. He had a million dollar arm, and a five cent head.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Did he now? :whistle:

Seriously, I have to think Leak and Grossman would be up there. One I remember that wasn't successful, but threw a tight spiral was Rodney Brewer. Unfortunately in a game against Rutgers, he threw more to them than he did us and thus ended what might have been a promising left-handed Gator QB.

Apopka kid. If memory serves me correctly, didn’t he hang football up after that to focus just on baseball?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Apopka kid. If memory serves me correctly, didn’t he hang football up after that to focus just on baseball?
Correct on both counts. Never recovered from the Rutgers debacle. I think he had some baseball success and maybe played in the minors maybe.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Correct on both counts. Never recovered from the Rutgers debacle. I think he had some baseball success and maybe played in the minors maybe.

Drove me nuts vs. Rutgers. Among Galen Hall’s worst decisions was leaving him in there and throwing.

Brewer was a key player on some really good Gator baseball teams and eventually played in the majors.
Rod Brewer - Wikipedia

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bob Hewko (that's a joke, btw. He was UF's answer to Billy Kilmer! ☺️ )
I went to college and played ball with Bob Hewko’s nephew for a couple years. When I first met him and he found out I was a Gator fan, he told me his uncle Bob played QB at UF and it wasn’t until I looked him up that I believed him. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I went to college and played ball with Bob Hewko’s nephew for a couple years. When I first met him and he found out I was a Gator fan, he told me his uncle Bob played QB at UF and it wasn’t until I looked him up that I believed him. :lol:
A rare lefty Gator QB!

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
In my lifetime. John Reaves and Rex Grossman. Reaves was the classic dropback qb for his time!. The Houston debut was one of the greatest classic passing exhibitions in Gator history.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Shane Matthews made it look easy. For all the talk of Leak, he couldn't hit an out route to save his life.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Drove me nuts vs. Rutgers. Among Galen Hall’s worst decisions was leaving him in there and throwing.

Brewer was a key player on some really good Gator baseball teams and eventually played in the majors.
Rod Brewer - Wikipedia
Interestingly, on the link it shows his last season as 1992 (where he hit .301 on 122 AB's). According to Baseball Reference, he also played in 1993, hitting .286 on 169 AB's. Makes me wonder why his career ended at this point. He was 27 and a career .278 hitter, though not a lot of power. Have to figure there's a spot on an MLB roster somewhere for a guy like that, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator