Who threw the prettiest ball as Gator QB?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Sexy Rexy had some beautiful balls.
giphy.gif

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Lots of good replies. I'll add another and hope I don't get booed too much. Terry Dean threw a great pass also. He had an arm. Not sure what put him into Spurrier's doghouse, there was definitely some mutual hatred there. But it got us Danny as a starter and our first NC.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of good replies. I'll add another and hope I don't get booed too much. Terry Dean threw a great pass also. He had an arm. Not sure what put him into Spurrier's doghouse, there was definitely some mutual hatred there. But it got us Danny as a starter and our first NC.

Back in the day, I’m sitting in a restaurant next to a young man and his father. The youth is going on and on about how unfair and harsh “coach” is. He said he was always yelling at him in front of everybody and he could never make him happy. I looked and I was pretty sure I knew who it was, but I knew for sure when his father told him “Terry, you’ve just got to keep calm and maintain composure”.
Danny never let that stuff bother him and the rest is Gator history...

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
Leak is underappreciated guy was accurate. If I could take them later on their careers maybe Grier would win.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Leak is underappreciated guy was accurate. If I could take them later on their careers maybe Grier would win.

Seriously? Grier over Spurrier, Reaves, Wuerffel, Grossman, Leak, Tebow, et al? GTFO....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think I ever saw a Leak pass that was not tight with a spiral. No wobble at all.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
SOS, saw him as a Soph hit Charlie Casey down the sideline for the eventual win over Miss. State in '64.
He wrote the book on how to pick a defense apart with timing passes and where receivers should be when the ball arrived. He didn't win the Heisman on his looks...but I digress.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Danny? The dude put the ball where it needed to go, but it was anything but pretty.

Dan could sure keep his cool in the pocket, take a hell of a lickin, get the ball off, complete the passes and draw a roughing penalty. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I was just a lad at Southwest Elementary in Lakeland when Wayne Peace was a local star -- but never saw him live at Florida Field - how was he as a passer because he was revered in Lakeland at the time.

Pell kept Wayne on a short leash, but he threw a very nice, catchable pass.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Spurrier seems to be largely forgotten as a player these days. I guess the way people overlook his skills and accomplishments on the field is understandable due to the passage of so many years. But he was a 2-time AA and a Heisman winner who happened to throw a very crisp, accurate pass - especially for the times in which he played. His touch and accuracy and arm strength were on a level similar to that displayed by Leak. I would rank them 1A & 1B.

The game has changed greatly and completion percentages have gone way up over the decades - due in part to the short passing game becoming a staple of modern CFB. But some of the guys that excelled back in the day are still great, but everything looks worse in black and white, according to Paul Simon at least.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
People have different opinions you don't have to attack me
I partially agree with this, but you need to understand the dynamic of this board. Fangs and claws come out, but in the end we're all Gators. If somebody gets personal, you have a legit complaint. However, several of these guys use "gtfo" like I use the word "the."

Just let it roll off your back. This is a "sports bar atmosphere," and you can be sure at least 75% of the GCMB is drinking while posting... from work... during a meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator