Why do we keep playing Powell?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if a good QB could make him stop tripping over his own feet or going down when someone sneezes on him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Far too many of the throws to Powell are lousy. He's dug several out of the turf and laid out for many
frustrating overthrows. There are no QBs that can consistently deliver with only 2-3 seconds protection time.
Can you imagine the mindset that takes hold when your QB expects a rush in his face before any WR reaches
the target zone? = passes overthrown, passes behind, passes in the dirt.

I hope GC isn't going to start devouring our own players because of our null-dull HC-Ceo's derangement.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactamundo......Hell, he was getting All Conference votes up until the time Butters threw Grier under the bus....Amazing what WR's look like with a stud QB on the field......

So butters personally tested Grier for PED's? We get it, you think Grier was all world, and we would be completing our back to back national titles with him, he did no wrong in your eyes. Please stop this broken record.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So butters personally tested Grier for PED's? We get it, you think Grier was all world, and we would be completing our back to back national titles with him, he did no wrong in your eyes. Please stop this broken record.

I agree w/ you on Grier. I think he would have been better than the last 3 QBs we've seen play, but he was a mediocre QB in this offense...slightly better than Appleby. His last game we produced 14 points vs. a sub .500 Missouri team and people act like he was All-SEC.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree w/ you on Grier. I think he would have been better than the last 3 QBs we've seen play, but he was a mediocre QB in this offense...slightly better than Appleby. His last game we produced 14 points vs. a sub .500 Missouri team and people act like he was All-SEC.

The line this year is LIGHT YEARS better than last year's line.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So you're saying Grier would have just lit it up then?

No. But we would look a lot better this year. But it still wouldn't offset drive killing play calls. And this coaching staff should've been playing a freshman. They're idiots.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No. But we would look a lot better this year. But it still wouldn't offset drive killing play calls. And this coaching staff should've been playing a freshman. They're idiots.

I disagree w/ you on the "look a lot better". I think realistically, we would look - better. Not "a lot" better. This offense stinks. The OL stinks. The skill players are average, at best (Calloway would probably be the #5 or 6 WR at Alabama). I do think he's better than the 3 other QBs we've seen since he left, but he was a 200 yard/game QB w/ about a 1.5/1 TD/INT ratio (especially behind this line). I'd expect if he was our QB we'd average about 3-5 more points per game (meaning we would have MAYBE scored a TD vs. FSU instead of one of those two FG's). Just look at his last game here (the Missouri game).

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Powell seems to bring out our inner Smurf.

With that, this Grier analysis is getting a bit dated now, the variable left out is how good he may have become with progressive game experience. Feasibly, he could be pretty good for us at this point in the timeline if his bone head didn't get in his way. Likewise, he may be on the bench wearing a sling or on a gurney being wheeled into Shands. :cool:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree w/ you on the "look a lot better". I think realistically, we would look - better. Not "a lot" better. This offense stinks. The OL stinks. The skill players are average, at best (Calloway would probably be the #5 or 6 WR at Alabama). I do think he's better than the 3 other QBs we've seen since he left, but he was a 200 yard/game QB w/ about a 1.5/1 TD/INT ratio (especially behind this line). I'd expect if he was our QB we'd average about 3-5 more points per game (meaning we would have MAYBE scored a TD vs. FSU instead of one of those two FG's). Just look at his last game here (the Missouri game).

He was a rs-freshman behind ( with about three games experience) maybe the worst OL in the country last year. And he had only 1 receiver.

I think we would have markedly better. But I don't begrudge Mac for Grier leaving. I wish he would have stayed but his family is douche Central.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The line this year is LIGHT YEARS better than last year's line.

That is a fact, and it is still below average.

Grier is going to be a better fit in UWV than here due to scheme and style of play. Grier has better natural ability than any of the last three qb's to play at for the Gators (harris, LDR, and AA). He also took chances that worked against Tennessee (57th pass defense) and Ole Miss (101 pass defense) and chances that got him benched for Harris at times against ECU (69th) and Kentucky (31st). Had an awful game against the best defense against the pass he played Missouri (7th). And both qb's looked good against New Mexico (87th). Of the next 8 opponents 7 were in the top 50 pass defenses, 4 (UGA [1], FSU [19], Bama [17], and Michigan [3]) were in the top 20. Harris' best game was against LSU (47) and Grier would have similar if not better success against them, it was defense not offense that seemed to fail us in that game. Vandy (44) always gives us a hard time and our line was pretty decimated at that point. FAU (85) was a bad week, horrible line play, but Grier would have won that game by double digits (imo).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Powell seems to bring out our inner Smurf.

With that, this Grier analysis is getting a bit dated now, the variable left out is how good he may have become with progressive game experience. Feasibly, he could be pretty good for us at this point in the timeline if his bone head didn't get in his way. Likewise, he may be on the bench wearing a sling or on a gurney being wheeled into Shands. :cool:

I believe he would have ended last season in this state, had he not gotten popped for PEDs.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Really, the same can be said for Callaway. All hype very few catches, lots of oops wrong routes, slips, and drops.

Callaway is more of a slot receiver anyway.

Powell is a CB.

When Callaway ducked BEHIND the db on a quick slant... just SMH

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is a fact, and it is still below average.

Grier is going to be a better fit in UWV than here due to scheme and style of play. Grier has better natural ability than any of the last three qb's to play at for the Gators (harris, LDR, and AA). He also took chances that worked against Tennessee (57th pass defense) and Ole Miss (101 pass defense) and chances that got him benched for Harris at times against ECU (69th) and Kentucky (31st). Had an awful game against the best defense against the pass he played Missouri (7th). And both qb's looked good against New Mexico (87th). Of the next 8 opponents 7 were in the top 50 pass defenses, 4 (UGA [1], FSU [19], Bama [17], and Michigan [3]) were in the top 20. Harris' best game was against LSU (47) and Grier would have similar if not better success against them, it was defense not offense that seemed to fail us in that game. Vandy (44) always gives us a hard time and our line was pretty decimated at that point. FAU (85) was a bad week, horrible line play, but Grier would have won that game by double digits (imo).

Nice post. As much as I'm a proponent of backing up your point, SOS's "stats are for nerds" comes to mind for me in this situation. I think it was really clear that Grier was very talented. I don't know if his father / family's dooshiness would trip him up, but I think he could have been really great and I wish he was here. I think we'd be a significantly different team.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice post. As much as I'm a proponent of backing up your point, SOS's "stats are for nerds" comes to mind for me in this situation. I think it was really clear that Grier was very talented. I don't know if his father / family's dooshiness would trip him up, but I think he could have been really great and I wish he was here. I think we'd be a significantly different team.

The Qb position would be better, but he doesn't make the Offensive line better. What we don't know about him, is does he get better. Missouri was the first team he played with 6 weeks of tape, that means enough tape to see his tendencies and what he does. We don't know if he mentally takes the next step, physically he had the ability.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Mac keeps playing him because Mac is a :nole: when it comes to these decisions. It's the same reason he kept running out LDR during the Arkansas game and rotating four backs through 3/4 of the season even though everyone else could see that our two best RBs would be off the field for half the game. Mac is just Muschamp with worse recruiting ability and at least Muschamp could coach up his side of the football.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mac keeps playing him because Mac is a :nole: when it comes to these decisions. It's the same reason he kept running out LDR during the Arkansas game and rotating four backs through 3/4 of the season even though everyone else could see that our two best RBs would be off the field for half the game. Mac is just Muschamp with worse recruiting ability and at least Muschamp could coach up his side of the football.
Dookie! We all thought you were dead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.