Why does Mac deserve a 3rd year if he goes 7-4?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Again, no link from you proving your theory about Mac paying nothing for his own buyout is true. I'll go with the published accounts. The point of my original thread was stating that he just isn't qualified to be here. His own incompetent performance towards the job as a whole in several critical areas should convince anybody. To add to the fun - here's another passage from the same buyout article that is especially relevant now:
"The UAA already owes Muschamp and his staff more than $8 million, with $6 million due Muschamp. He will receive $2 million per year for the life of the contract, which expires after the 2017 season."
Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...buyout-terms-jim-mcelwain-20141204-story.html
Not to butt in, but why would you request verification on something like that? You're not gonna find it. I believe he's using wisdom and intellect to make a reasonable assumption. If you step away and just look at the "meat" of both of you guys' opinion, his theory sounds a lot more "believable." I get the fact that sources provide authenticity to otherwise opinionated stories. But in this instance, you're quoting a press release from UF. Which means it is absolutely skewed, to some degree, to represent the university in a positive light. I bet the CSU press release says something different than what Florida's does.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
While I can't argue up any strengths of Mac these days, it is beyond simple to argue down the problems with Butch. Let's see if he can salvage his locker room and actually build something next year. His 3rd year has a good number of HIS guys leaving the program.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His "guy" is playing QB. If you bother to recall, the insider's scoop last year was that Del Rio would have been the QB over Grier and Harris.
What if "his" QB, the next one, sucks too?
Franks is a guy with all the stars, but, especially since Tebow left, has that made any difference. I didn't watch Franks in high school, but I did see him in the All-Star game and in the Spring game. He looked horrible.
Trask is a project, unless you think Nussmeier is a genius that saw something no one else did.
The next wunderkind, Jake Allen, supposedly, looks like crap on the high school field.
A transfer? I wonder if McElwain can attract someone other than a Purdue reject or a guy who looks like he'd b a bench warmer at most schools.
McElwain isn't going anywhere, but I think it's inevitable he'll be fired. The only question is when.
Dear troll,
You sure spend a lot of time thinking about the Florida Gators. Glad to know that despite our recent years of suckage, the Gators are still in your head.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
They shouldn't fire him yet. I don't think he has a long term future at Florida, but it is a bad idea to get a new coach every 2 years, for many reasons.

Sep 29, 2015
I'll play contrarian.

Yes, he deserves it. Do we forget the state of the program he inherited? It was an absolute dead program in an advanced state of decomposition. Years behind every other SEC program in facilities. Zero excitement from recruits (who have seen a resurgent FSU win a title recently). Despite the WORST online in the country and ZERO veteran talent on the offense, he was able to win the East. I don't want to hear the "it was down" nonsense, because we were below it and he still managed to win (which included beating a team from the not-down West that featured numerous high draft pick pros). But, no, let's not give credit for that.

Does he not get credit for the IPF and the upcoming $100MM stand alone in the works? I know many on here were heaping praise on him for that as recently as 12 months ago.

What about the offensive talent he has brought in? I think they will be pretty good on O next year with Franks. He deserves an opportunity to show what he can do with a veteran O line and talent at the skill positions. He could he have gambled with Franks and/or Trask or even Appleby this year to make his offense look better, but he did the prudent thing by playing who most thought would be a competent game manager to move the chains and let his defense - the strength of the team - win the games and east again. That was obviously a mistake - but not a fire-able offense. Anybody with two eyes can see that his scheme has potential to be good with a strong-armed accurate QB. If it's the same-old same-old next year with Franks/Trask and everyone else returning, then good riddance.

I'm not going to address the intangible coach-personality statements because I believe they are meaningless,

It took him 3 years to turn around CSU, another dead program (but even worse since it never had a pulse to begin with); he deserves a similar opportunity here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My ire is now aimed at Foley. How can he be this bad of a judge of coaching talent, again and again? I was high on Mac at the beginning, cool guy, no socks ever, spent his own money to help buy out his contract at C-State. This year has been shocking as his total ineptitude as a coach has been laid out for all to see. No fire in himself or his players. Not much will to win, especially if the other team has one. No game management, no halftime (or any) adjustments, no sideline coaching. Shyte recruiting. And he seems happy with all of it. No mental problem mailing in losses instead of making changes to right the ship. He's making millions for not even trying to do his job and we all know it now. Does anyone think this Phuktard will turn into a butterfly next year and soar? We could waste another 4 years waiting for him to be a real coach and we will be competing with whoever the current bottom feeder is to avoid being last in the SECE in 2020. Cut the damage short and fire him now. He just has no skill for this job. Thanks Foley.

:backout:
I really wish you would stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The very fact that we're debating this week whether or not we have a chance to beat a dismal South Carolina team, at home, led by a coach we just fired (and are still paying), tells you all you need to know about the current state of the program.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The very fact that we're debating this week whether or not we have a chance to beat a dismal South Carolina team, at home, led by a coach we just fired (and are still paying), tells you all you need to know about the current state of the program.

It really does. If we lose, I dont see how Mac doesnt completely lose fan support as well as player support if he hasnt already. I wish just once that we had a good healthy team and a real QB just to see if Macs system can work. Im not sure we will ever really know....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm leaning this direction due to the poor recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. I look at next years schedule and see about 7-5. Maybe worse. If that happens, he should be fired.
Maybe 7-5? please tell me 7 games you feel good about?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ugh. We lose to the mushcocks in the Swamp, Mac's gotta go.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are going to be one depressed miserable lot if Chumps team beats us...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'll play contrarian.

I don't want to hear the "it was down" nonsense, because we were below it and he still managed to win (which included beating a team from the not-down West that featured numerous high draft pick pros). But, no, let's not give credit for that.

You don't want to hear the TRUTH? Last year was Mac's 2012 Chump season. It was a facade. You're hanging two years of garbage on one win vs ole Miss? GTFO. Mac peaked in year one. How pathetic is that?

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Its all about the subjective view of trajectory of the program. Does anybody feel like Mac has us trending up? I imagine only the true diehards who think parroting the UAA party line makes them better fans than everyone else believe Mac is doing a good job. Anyone who steps back, takes off the O&B goggles, and looks at this has to come to the conclusion that this program is still wandering in the desert with no direction and is not likely going to end up in the promised land. Why you let the guy continue walking around lost in the dark, just because he "deserves" it, is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As noted above by several posters.... Mac will not be fired this season regardless of the team's record. However, if Stricklin wants to gain any trust from the alumni and boosters he will have to force Mac to make massive staff changes. I

personally think the entire offensive staff needs to be replaced along with several coaches on the defensive side of the ball... the rub is... No good position coaches will come to UF if Mac's job is on the line. So..we're basically F'd - unless Sticklin guarantees the position coaches contracts like Texas did for their new OC and OL Coaches.

Sep 29, 2015
You don't want to hear the TRUTH? Last year was Mac's 2012 Chump season. It was a facade. You're hanging two years of garbage on one win vs ole Miss? GTFO. Mac peaked in year one. How pathetic is that?

The truth is he won the East with a dreadful team - keep ignoring that. He got a raw deal when Grier blew his drug test yet still managed to get Richt fired - keep ignoring that. "And yet", it may well be Mac's version of 2012 and you may end up being right, but I believe he deserves the chance to prove you wrong. Indeed, you may well be proven wrong this weekend when we get to see a strong armed, if untalented, qb throw the ball deep and run his offense. There will be picks and missed throws because Apples is he who he is, Franks is young/inexperienced, and MushTrump's defense is good, but at least it won't be ducks and you will see his offense as it is designed to be run.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The truth is he won the East with a dreadful team - keep ignoring that. He got a raw deal when Grier blew his drug test yet still managed to get Richt fired - keep ignoring that. "And yet", it may well be Mac's version of 2012 and you may end up being right, but I believe he deserves the chance to prove you wrong. Indeed, you may well be proven wrong this weekend when we get to see a strong armed, if untalented, qb throw the ball deep and run his offense. There will be picks and missed throws because Apples is he who he is, Franks is young/inexperienced, and MushTrump's defense is good, but at least it won't be ducks and you will see his offense as it is designed to be run.

The team is trending the wrong way. He's going to have 3 of the worst recruiting years since they started tracking it. The offense is 91st. He said he could win with his dog. He's full of it. Foley whiffed again. He's had 22 games already to PROVE himself worthy. He stinks as a head coach here at UF.

Hopes and dreams don't win you games.

Again, he peaked in his 1st season. Chew on that.

Sep 29, 2015
Its all about the subjective view of trajectory of the program. Does anybody feel like Mac has us trending up? I imagine only the true diehards who think parroting the UAA party line makes them better fans than everyone else believe Mac is doing a good job. Anyone who steps back, takes off the O&B goggles, and looks at this has to come to the conclusion that this program is still wandering in the desert with no direction and is not likely going to end up the promised land. Why you let the guy continue to continue walking around lost in the dark, just because he "deserves" it, is beyond my comprehension.

Nobody has said Mac is doing a good job (and as I clearly noted I was playing the contrarian - it's easy to call for someone's firing given the state of recruiting and coming off the Arky debacle and the last few games). But for me, the jury is still out. And I disagree that there is no direction. We wanted a pro-style passing attack with big strong-armed QBs, big/fast RB's and big WR's and that's exactly what Mac is in the process of building. We wanted facilities and they are coming. I don't see how that shows no direction.

I laugh when I read posts asking for a mobile qb or a fire-breathing head coach when we just got finished trashing the program for those very things. What I see is potential. Talented skill players about to become vets, supposedly at least one talented freshman qb that we were all excited about when he flipped to us, and a veteran offensive line all playing in what appears to be an otherwise capable scheme. If you don't see that potential then yes, it is reasonable to believe he doesn't deserve to return next year.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The team is trending the wrong way. He's going to have 3 of the worst recruiting years since they started tracking it. The offense is 91st. He said he could win with his dog. He's full of it. Foley whiffed again. He's had 22 games already to PROVE himself worthy. He stinks as a head coach here at UF.

Hopes and dreams don't win you games.

Again, he peaked in his 1st season. Chew on that.

And you absolutely love it.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Apart from the question of whether he "deserves" to be replaced, if you fire the coach of a major Division I program after TWO years and then expect you'll attract a big-time, big-name coaching superstar to replace him.....you're delusional. What accomplished coach would come to a school that gave the previous guy two years to fix things? No one. And please don't fall back on the tired old cliche of "if you offer them enough money.....etc".

The one factor still in his favor is the state of the offensive line that he inherited. Think about the fact that UF couldn't hold a normal Orange and Blue game in 2015 because they didn't have enough offensive linemen to field two teams. Name another school in the country that was so short on lineman that they couldn't come up with 10 guys and field two teams. A problem of that scope is not easily remedied in a short time.

That being said, it seems the shot clock is winding down rapidly. Saturday is a big day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator