Why does Mac deserve a 3rd year if he goes 7-4?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He'll get his third year. He'll be a lame duck head coach though. Foley's accounting skills made sure of that.

Does anyone feel good about the direction of the program? Give him three years just because even though we can all see he stinks out loud in a bad division?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
He'll get his third year. He'll be a lame duck head coach though. Foley's accounting skills made sure of that.

Does anyone feel good about the direction of the program? Give him three years just because even though we can all see he stinks out loud in a bad division?

If we beat Arky, you still wouldnt be back here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Apart from the question of whether he "deserves" to be replaced, if you fire the coach of a major Division I program after TWO years and then expect you'll attract a big-time, big-name coaching superstar to replace him.....you're delusional. What accomplished coach would come to a school that gave the previous guy two years to fix things? No one. And please don't fall back on the tired old cliche of "if you offer them enough money.....etc".

The one factor still in his favor is the state of the offensive line that he inherited. Think about the fact that UF couldn't hold a normal Orange and Blue game in 2015 because they didn't have enough offensive linemen to field two teams. Name another school in the country that was so short on lineman that they couldn't come up with 10 guys and field two teams. A problem of that scope is not easily remedied in a short time.

That being said, it seems the shot clock is winding down rapidly. Saturday is a big day.
I get what you're saying but we're not going to be going after a big name coach anyhow. The pool of coaches we'll be choosing from won't care how many years the last guy got. But its not like he's gonna get canned this year anyhow .

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I get what you're saying but we're not going to be going after a big name coach anyhow. The pool of coaches we'll be choosing from won't care how many years the last guy got. But its not like he's gonna get canned this year anyhow .

Turns out a quick firing is not as unprecedented as I thought. Kansas, Memphis and Akron have all recently fired coaches after just two years on the job. Just can't imagine Florida would do that. I would disagree with you that they won't go after a big name (if and when they do fire Mac). Should they need to hire another coach it would almost have to be a "can't miss" guy and not someone who is not guaranteed to succeed.

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
While the offense is a major concern, what has me worried most is recruiting. According to 247Sports, we only have the 8th most talented roster in the SEC, and that is sure to decline considerably after our Defensive stars go to the NFL after this year. And this current 2017 recruiting class in nowhere near UF standards. Neither was 2016. I gave Mac a pass for 2015 because of the rush, but when your 2016 bump class is that bad? Woof. At least with Zook you knew the man was a demon of a recruiter.

With that said, Mac will probably get next year, even after we finish 6-6 or 7-5 this year. But he won't live to see November. I think the axe will fall sometime in October of next year. And then we'll miss out on a loaded 2018 class that has many kids favoring UF at the moment. So would it be wise to fire him after this year, so the new coach can reel in those 2018 guys? Probably. Hell, the way Mac recruits, who knows if he could even reel in those kids at all? What I would do: fire him this year and try our damnedest to get Tom Herman, Larry Fedora, Justin Fuente or DJ Durkin. All of those four are way better recruiters than Mac. But my dream would be to back up a dump truck full of cash to Dabo Swinney's house and make him say no. I doubt he'd leave Clemson, but my god would be own the state of FL in recruiting.

Just some thoughts, don't post much, hope you guys enjoy. Go Gators!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Deals will have to be made in advance. Old School way. Foley didn't cotton to it.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, he will get a 3rd year and no, he won't deserve it.

Please give me one example of any aspect of the program (other than PB&J's) that is better than it was two years ago?
1. QB whisperer has the worst offense in the conference.
2. Every coach since SOS has had a top five class in their first two years
3. Every successful coach in the history of the NCAA has demonstrated the ability to enhance the ability of his team regardless of the talent level.

I see no improvement and I see nothing that suggests that it will get better.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone think this Phuktard will turn into a butterfly next year and soar?
I'm sorry, but I keep returning to this brilliant and hysterical line. I laugh out loud every time I read it, primarily because of the word "Phuktard". :lol: I hate to say it, but it just seems to sum up Mac perfectly. And do butterflies soar? Sort of, I guess.

Lines like that are why I love fans and fan message boards. Tunaboat just became one of my favorite posters.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, but I keep returning to this brilliant and hysterical line. I laugh out loud every time I read it, primarily because of the word "Phuktard". :lol: I hate to say it, but it just seems to sum up Mac perfectly. And do butterflies soar? Sort of, I guess.

Lines like that are why I love fans and fan message boards. Tunaboat just became one of my favorite posters.

My guess is you've never heard of Phuket, Thailand?.....:lol:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Apart from the question of whether he "deserves" to be replaced, if you fire the coach of a major Division I program after TWO years and then expect you'll attract a big-time, big-name coaching superstar to replace him.....you're delusional. What accomplished coach would come to a school that gave the previous guy two years to fix things? No one. And please don't fall back on the tired old cliche of "if you offer them enough money.....etc".

You're using the same argument I used in the beginning of Muschamp's 3rd year when people were calling for his firing. I said that we couldn't get any big named coaches if we fired him that soon. So we waited another year and a half and watched the program continue to sink to depths I hadn't seen since ''79. And what did we end up with after hanging on to Muschamp for 4 years? Some unknown guy from Colorado State.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The question is can we attract a big time coach anymore or are we in line for another mid major coach next year. What big time power 5 coach is going to leave their current destination for this mess at the moment? Not trying to be argumentative, but having a hard time we could land anyone that isn't from a middle of the pack program of the power 5. Aside from Herman who will be at a big school next year the next big name is PJ Fleck for what he's doing at Western Michigan. If they are both gobbled up who are we left with in 2018 to try and grab? Are we destined for Scott Frost since it looks like Oregon is going to pony up for a big name. my fear is the longer we wait the less options we are going to have which sets our roster and development another year. Petrino will probably be available and that is about it. I think he rides the Jackson train before he bolts.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The question is can we attract a big time coach anymore or are we in line for another mid major coach next year. What big time power 5 coach is going to leave their current destination for this mess at the moment? Not trying to be argumentative, but having a hard time we could land anyone that isn't from a middle of the pack program of the power 5. Aside from Herman who will be at a big school next year the next big name is PJ Fleck for what he's doing at Western Michigan. If they are both gobbled up who are we left with in 2018 to try and grab? Are we destined for Scott Frost since it looks like Oregon is going to pony up for a big name. my fear is the longer we wait the less options we are going to have which sets our roster and development another year. Petrino will probably be available and that is about it. I think he rides the Jackson train before he bolts.

Petrino has a 10 mil buyout.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And a Heisman QB. I have to agree he'd be a fool to leave while he has the best player in college football for at least another year.

Our libtard, Harvarder-than-thou Admin would never give Petrino a second thought.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Our libtard, Harvarder-than-thou Admin would never give Petrino a second thought.
Foley actually loves Petrino and has pursed him in the past. But Petrino has compiled a lot of baggage since then.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
It's a good question, a coaching change could be good or it could set the program back, but conversely keeping MAC could help the program as he's only been here two years and given more time he might get things turning in the right direction or he could set the program back if we keep him. This is ultimately up to the AD, and will be a key point in Stricklan's decision making early on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.