Why Hire Jim McElwain When You Could Hire Lane Kiffin?

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n121182 said:
Why hire Jim McElwain when you could hire Lane Kiffin? McElwain was the Alabama offensive coordinator when they ran the conservative run first offense that Muschamp wanted to bring to Florida. Lane Kiffin as the offensive coordinator of Alabama opened up the offense. Does anyone think Alabama would have set the offensive records they did this year in total offense if Lane Kiffin was not on the sideline calling plays?

McElwain has been the head coach at Colorado State in some second tier conference, but Kiffin has been the head coach at a major SEC school. Think back to when Kiffin was at Tennessee. He had Tennessee on the upswing. When Kiffin bolted in the middle of the night for the bright lights of Southern California, UT students marched in protest because they were upset the were losing a really good coach. Would they raise such a ruckus today if Butch Jones said he was leaving?

When Kiffin was hired by Tennessee we had just gone through the Phil Fulmer-Steve Spurrier era. Tennessee was looking for someone to counter Urban Meyer. They tried to find their own version of Steve Spurrier. Now, before you go off, I am not comparing Lane Kiffin to Steve Spurrier. I am saying that Tennessee felt that Phil Fulmer was too old, too fat, too conservative to lead Tennessee in a new era of modern football.

Kiffin was brash. He could get under your skin. He could recruit. He even wore a visor. He took down General Neyland’s Maxims which Tennessee players had recited before each game. That did not set well with a lot of the historical Tennessee faithful, but the Maxims are the Bible of coaches like Bob Woodruff, Doug Dickey, and Will Muschamp.

Kiffin has SEC ties besides his time at Tennessee. His brother is an assistant at Ole Miss. His wife is the daughter of former Florida great John Reaves. He has a year under his belt as Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator. Saban knows a thing or two about coaches. He brought Kiffin to Tuscaloosa when a lot of other people thought Saban was showing the early signs of dementia. Look who was right.

Kiffin is not a small town Mississippi boy like Hugh Freeze who I have the greatest respect for by the way. Freeze is not leaving Ole Miss. Kiffin would be comfortable in modern, urban cosmopolitan Florida. Kiffin, like Spurrier, has an edge to him. He can push the envelope. He is available and would be grateful if Foley hired him. I think he learned a lot about the way he left Knoxville. I don’t know all the reasons why things did not work out for him at USC because I don’t follow West Coast football.

I think the best coach for UF is available for the asking and is sitting right there not that far away in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Hire him before Nebraska does.

If Lane Kiffin was such a valuable asset as a head coach why did he fall on his face in the powder puff Pac 8? He exhibited no head coaching genius in his tenure at the University of Tennessee. If fact his stock was so law as a viable head coach he was resigned to running to a proven program like Alabama as a mere Offensive Coordinator. How can you be so mesmerized by his success as an OC in an already proven NC contender like Alabama that you'll let yourself to be added to the list of victims of Lane Kiffins' ongoing scam as a force in college football?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n122670 said:
If Lane Kiffin was such a valuable asset as a head coach why did he fall on his face in the powder puff Pac 8? He exhibited no head coaching genius in his tenure at the University of Tennessee. If fact his stock was so law as a viable head coach he was resigned to running to a proven program like Alabama as a mere Offensive Coordinator. How can you be so mesmerized by his success as an OC in an already proven NC contender like Alabama that you'll let yourself to be added to the list of victims of Lane Kiffins' ongoing scam as a force in college football?

This from the guy who cried for days when he fled that dump called Knoxville for LA. :lol:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have great respect for Joe. And every part of his analysis may be correct. But if that creep ever darkened the halls of Florida I would turn in my Gator card until he was ridden out on a rail.

In case you wondered, I can't stand the guy.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n122675 said:
This from the guy who cried for days when he fled that dump called Knoxville for LA. :lol:

There must have been a jort sell during that period pulling you away from the Message Board. Substitute the word "cursed" for "cried" and you'll hit the nail on the head.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n122702 said:
There must have been a jort sell during that period pulling you away from the Message Board. Substitute the word "cursed" for "cried" and you'll hit the nail on the head.

I can't fathom being spurned by the likes of Kiffen. Man, it has to suck to be a Vol. :lol:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
gator1946;n122680 said:
I have great respect for Joe. And every part of his analysis may be correct. But if that creep ever darkened the halls of Florida I would turn in my Gator card until he was ridden out on a rail.

In case you wondered, I can't stand the guy.

I appreciate that gator1946. And I knew the response to Kiffin wouldn't go over well. I just think he is a better coach than a lot of people think. I think he has proven he is a good coordinator. But it also does me good that our fan base wants men with integrity to lead our program. Bob Woodruff, Ray Graves, Doug Dickey were certainly men of integrity. Steve was a great coach for us although he could rub some people the wrong way, but I think the opposition misinterpreted a lot of Spurrier's comments when they were not actually intended to be spiteful. He was the right man for Florida at the right time. Urban Meyer was a great coach, but to me he always seemed like something of an outsider and not a real Florida man. Charley Pell had his faults, but you had to admire his energy and enthusiasm. Will Muschamp was a good man. I liked Will and wish him the best.

Can't say I am thrilled with McElwain, but we have to give him time. He might turn out to be the man we need. Will have to wait and see. He does seem kind of bland. Just think of the personalities that have roamed the sidelines in the state of Florida. Pell and Spurrier. Bobby Bowden at FSU. Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson down in MIami. And look at the personalities of today. Jimbo, Al Golden, and now I guess McElwain. Not taking anything away from those last three men as coaches, but they surely are not of the same mold as some of those other guys. And while we are mentioning coaches in the state of Florida, I am always in awe of Jake Gaither and the way he ran that football program at A&M.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n122716 said:
I can't fathom being spurned by the likes of Kiffen. Man, it has to suck to be a Vol. :lol:

If you can fathom having your proud Gator program wrecked by three years of Will Muschamp I can live with the shame of wasting one year under Lane Kiffin.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n122724 said:
If you can fathom having your proud Gator program wrecked by three years of Will Muschamp I can live with the shame of wasting one year under Lane Kiffin.

Sometimes, Alvin makes sense...
Except it was 4.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Four years, azz crumb, but who is counting.

And you also have the shame of Double Dawg and Bytch years also.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kiffin has been a better coordinator for bama than Mclwain. Probably would be a better recruiter here aswell
I feel like this should be sig material.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Hire a guy who has failed at every head coaching opportunity he has had? Thank goodness Jeremy Foley is smarter than you are.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Why hire Jim McElwain when you could hire Lane Kiffin? McElwain was the Alabama offensive coordinator when they ran the conservative run first offense that Muschamp wanted to bring to Florida. Lane Kiffin as the offensive coordinator of Alabama opened up the offense. Does anyone think Alabama would have set the offensive records they did this year in total offense if Lane Kiffin was not on the sideline calling plays?

McElwain has been the head coach at Colorado State in some second tier conference, but Kiffin has been the head coach at a major SEC school. Think back to when Kiffin was at Tennessee. He had Tennessee on the upswing. When Kiffin bolted in the middle of the night for the bright lights of Southern California, UT students marched in protest because they were upset the were losing a really good coach. Would they raise such a ruckus today if Butch Jones said he was leaving?

When Kiffin was hired by Tennessee we had just gone through the Phil Fulmer-Steve Spurrier era. Tennessee was looking for someone to counter Urban Meyer. They tried to find their own version of Steve Spurrier. Now, before you go off, I am not comparing Lane Kiffin to Steve Spurrier. I am saying that Tennessee felt that Phil Fulmer was too old, too fat, too conservative to lead Tennessee in a new era of modern football.

Kiffin was brash. He could get under your skin. He could recruit. He even wore a visor. He took down General Neyland’s Maxims which Tennessee players had recited before each game. That did not set well with a lot of the historical Tennessee faithful, but the Maxims are the Bible of coaches like Bob Woodruff, Doug Dickey, and Will Muschamp.

Kiffin has SEC ties besides his time at Tennessee. His brother is an assistant at Ole Miss. His wife is the daughter of former Florida great John Reaves. He has a year under his belt as Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator. Saban knows a thing or two about coaches. He brought Kiffin to Tuscaloosa when a lot of other people thought Saban was showing the early signs of dementia. Look who was right.

Kiffin is not a small town Mississippi boy like Hugh Freeze who I have the greatest respect for by the way. Freeze is not leaving Ole Miss. Kiffin would be comfortable in modern, urban cosmopolitan Florida. Kiffin, like Spurrier, has an edge to him. He can push the envelope. He is available and would be grateful if Foley hired him. I think he learned a lot about the way he left Knoxville. I don’t know all the reasons why things did not work out for him at USC because I don’t follow West Coast football.

I think the best coach for UF is available for the asking and is sitting right there not that far away in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Hire him before Nebraska does.

OJ I find it hard to believe you made this post.
I hope you are not on drugs.

Kiffin is something bad about to happen. Saban has him on a short leash. Al Davis
said hiring him was the worst mistake he
has ever made.

I am also amazed you are not giving Coach
Mac a decent chance. In time I believe he
will prove to be a good hire and everyone
knows I'm not a Foley fan. I believe he
coaches player up and very few HCs do
that nowadays. I believe our offense will
be much better and more consistent this
year. He took over a terrible situation. Not
many can do the harm WM did us.

I trained people all of my business life. I
learned to recognize leaders and the ones
who couldn't handle authority if given to
them. Kiffin is definitely one who cannot
handle authority. Some other school will
hire him and regret it. It will happen. If a
school will hire WM, they will hire anyone.

Also when Coach Mac has proven to be
a great coach/leader please take time to
write a lengthy post of how glad you are
we hired him and not Kiffin. I personally
think we hired the best assistant coach
Nick Saban ever had.

In the meantime we are going to forget
you posted this cause you are one good
true gator fan.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
OJ I find it hard to believe you made this post.
I hope you are not on drugs.

Kiffin is something bad about to happen. Saban has him on a short leash. Al Davis
said hiring him was the worst mistake he
has ever made.

I am also amazed you are not giving Coach
Mac a decent chance. In time I believe he
will prove to be a good hire and everyone
knows I'm not a Foley fan. I believe he
coaches player up and very few HCs do
that nowadays. I believe our offense will
be much better and more consistent this
year. He took over a terrible situation. Not
many can do the harm WM did us.

I trained people all of my business life. I
learned to recognize leaders and the ones
who couldn't handle authority if given to
them. Kiffin is definitely one who cannot
handle authority. Some other school will
hire him and regret it. It will happen. If a
school will hire WM, they will hire anyone.

Also when Coach Mac has proven to be
a great coach/leader please take time to
write a lengthy post of how glad you are
we hired him and not Kiffin. I personally
think we hired the best assistant coach
Nick Saban ever had.

In the meantime we are going to forget
you posted this cause you are one good
true gator fan.

Just so everyone knows, this thread was created on Dec 1st 2014. Much has changed since then.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why was this thread necro'ed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics