Why it's not over

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Byrd speaks with self aggrandized authority on all sorts of minute and nuanced details, all things gator sports, facilities, and finances related. And he expects us to believe hes not a UAA plant.

Here's the truth - either you're one of the most pompous posters we've ever had, or you're a plant. Pick your poison big dawg.

UAA Plant

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is one instance where I actually agree with Jas, who with his posts here more than ever confirms he is who we thought he was.

Regardless, the decision really did come down to multistory or the baseball land. The UAA was tragically reactionary versus visionary.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Byrd speaks with self aggrandized authority on all sorts of minute and nuanced details, all things gator sports, facilities, and finances related. And he expects us to believe hes not a UAA plant.

Here's the truth - either you're one of the most pompous posters we've ever had, or you're a plant. Pick your poison big dawg.
:lmao2:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I will not argue your points b/c they are your opinions and many of them are valid. But from the game of football angle and for those of us who do not think Cousin Eddie is the answer, let me give you this.

1. Calling a drop back pass on 2nd down and 1 from the opponents 3 yard line is not a talent issue.
2. Joe Lee Dunn Jr. is an awful defensive coordinator and made exactly ZERO adjustments in the game, I repeat ZERO.
3. 12 men on the field out of a timeout is not a talent issue.

I could go on and on and to the defenders, yes we were only a few plays away from winning the game. But anyone who knows football understands most games are decided by less than 5 plays. And it is those poor decisions that usually cost you a game. Cousin Eddie can't manage a game and it was proven by ZERO adjustments on O -line play and Defensive strategy. ever heard of Mush Rushing a mobile QB that can't throw? Not defending Chimp, but even Mustank made that move in the 2nd half on our trip to A@M years ago and it stifled Manziel in the 2nd half. I am as hopeful as anyone, but I just do not drink the Kool Aid.
Néw system input normally experiences mistakes. We will see if they improve as Mac's recruits learn the new system. He has 2 national championship rings from leading 2 UF offenses to a national championship but not in his first year at UF in 2005. Zook left higher ranked talent than Mac. That is the facts not Kool aid. We will see what Mullen can do leading offense and defense.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Néw system input normally experiences mistakes. We will see if they improve as Mac's recruits learn the new system. He has 2 national championship rings from leading 2 UF offenses to a national championship but not in his first year at UF in 2005. Zook left higher ranked talent than Mac. That is the facts not Kool aid. We will see what Mullen can do leading offense and defense.
I assume you are not insinuating Mullen will bring us championships?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I assume you are not insinuating Mullen will bring us championships?
Mullen has to get through the next 2 years to be able to do that. He inherited pro style players for his spread offense who were not well developed.

If he can get through the next 2 years his talent level can pick up as he brings in spread players liking UF's upcoming new top tier Football center. After that he can get more Gator natonal championship rings. He just has to get through the next 2 years. Easier said than done.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has to get through the next 2 years to be able to do that. He inherited pro style players for his spread offense who were not well developed. If he can get through the next 2 years his talent level can pick up as he brings in players liking UF's upcoming new top tier Football center. After that he can get more Gator natonal championship rings. He just has to get through the next 2 years. Easier said than done.
I don’t think Mullen’s going to bring us any championships. I think he will make us relatively respectable and give his successor a base to exploit better.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I don’t think Mullen’s going to bring us any championships. I think he will make us relatively respectable and give his successor a base to exploit better.
Bama and UGA are loaded with 5 star talent now so it will take time for Mullen to catch them. The 2020 class which can play in the new Football center as sophomores will give us an idea of future success. Mac's recruits don't make this season look good.

UF fans tend to forget that our strategic location close to the top talent is a powerful tool. Combining that location with top facilities can be powerful.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bama and UGA are loaded with 5 star talent now so it will take time for Mullen to catch them. The 2020 class which can play in the new Football center as sophomores will give us an idea of future success. Mac's recruits don't make this season look good.

UF fans tend to forget that our strategic location close to the top talent is a powerful tool. Combining that location with top facilities can be powerful.

He needs to show it then. Georgia has been destroying us in recruiting since Smart got there. He also better have a few quick developers in what he has in his first 2 classes or his 3rd season may still be rough. We are already seeing Mac's blue chippers have a high bust rate.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It would have been nice if Mullen could bring in a top 2019 class, but it seems like you've already conceded that's not going to happen.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
The reason it is absolutely NOT OVER for UF and just delayed is that UF has one of the best locations near top talent in the country. Parents like to see their kids play in person.

We are behind in terms of having a top tier football center but we will have one of the best in the country in 3 years. The 2020 recruiting class will have the new football center when they are sophomores
Ok let's start with the 1st part. You say were in one of the best locations near top talent in the country. I 100% agree with you but how has that worked out for us lately? If we had a recruiter like Meyer, Saban, or even Smart I would agree with you but we dont have any of those coaches. So far Mullen has showed he's not on the same planet as these other coaches. Right now as it stands he's the 3rd best recruiter in our own state. That's not going to cut it with the way Smart is recruiting at UGA. So my point is you can be in the best most fertile state all you want if the coach can't pull the players it means nothing.

Ok on to the 2nd topic. While facilities will for sure help out they are not going to make Mullen a better recruiter or coach. He's just not the answer and many of us knew that from the start.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Byrd is easily the worst poster on this board. You just aren't totally with it for whatever reason.

But I also saw open Wrs all night. Wide open. Not just the Davis 2pt play. Franks missed an easy wide open td to Cleveland on a play that he threw it in the opposite corner that was double covered. He did that all night.
It's progression reads...you wouldn't understand...

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016

What happens if the Stand-Alone doesn't generate the recruiting advantage that we expect?
I'm genuinely curious of this.
Seems like everyone thinks it will immensely help the coaching staff in selling the program.

While I agree that it can only hurt when you fall behind, I'm not convinced that this will have the type of impact that many expect.
I'm 33 years old and I've not heard many recruits ever state that facilities were what swung his recruitment.
Also, kids rarely commit on location anymore. I could see it being beneficial for kids to come in and fall in love with it and commit on the spot. Those days are over.
These kids like to plan out elaborate commitment videos and things of that sort. And once they leave campus, I doubt they'll ever think of the facilities again.

Sorry if I'm coming across as negative about this. I don't intend to be.
I'm just really curious on how this is supposed to help fix our talent deficiency.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Ok the way Smart is recruiting at UGA. So my point is you can be in the best most fertile state all you want if the coach can't pull the players it means nothing.

Ok on to the 2nd topic. While facilities will for sure help out they are not going to make Mullen a better recruiter or coach. He's just not the answer and many of us knew that from the start.
You knew that? Mullen had one of UF's best transition recruiting classes in history. This was done in spite of a 4-7 season by Mac and being preceded by a lazy recruiter in Mac. You know the final outcome of 2019 class already?

Smart was just with Bama who has a dynasty going so he got to build rapport with the top recruits especially in his home state of Georgia.
Georgia is fertile just like Florida showing location does matter. Coach and rapport with players also is important. Mullen has not been able to build the rapport with the top recruits yet as he has been paying his dues at little MSU located near little talent as compared to Georgia and Florida while learning how to be a head coach.

Mullen was the best coach who wanted UF. You have to start somewhere. Who was your answer at coach (who wanted UF) for the most recent head coach hire?

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff Brohm, who just got punked by Northwestern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator