Will Grier suspended rest of season for taking PEDs

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If it is flu med related, it is, to quote Dunce, absolute bull****.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It wouldn't surprise me if that turns out to be the case but he is a kid and kids make mistakes. He can serve his suspension and then return to play for a couple more years.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
SavannahGator;n296116 said:
Yeah, the Pell probation was 1984, we were 1-1-1 (loss to scUM, tie with LSU, crushing win over Tulane). Pell got hammered on Tuesday after the Tulane win. Galen was promoted. We won eight (not nine) more in a row, although it was actually nine in a row when you count Tulane under Pell.

1989 was Hall taken down for allegedly giving $$$ to Jarvis Williams (I think) to attend a family funeral, if I'm not mistaken. Or it was to pay for his child support. One or the other. Whatever, NCAA was looking at one more thing to take UF down for. Galen stepped down right after upset win on last second FG at LSU. Darnell took over as interim, and held the ship together, but we barely qualified for a bowl (now defunct Freedom Bowl, out in Anaheim - Washington clobbered us). And that led to . . . hiring of SOS and the beginning of the dynasty.

Look, this is bad. But it's not as bad as all that, not by a LONG shot. We just have to trust in Mac that Treon is ready, and then hope he is, and hope the team will rally around him (they will), and hope he keeps his nose clean. The six wins are still intact. Winning the East is still out there. Many of us never expected to win the first six. We'll definitely beat Vandy, SC, and FAU, for an unexpected nine wins. The rest is just gravy. Except Georgia . . . living here in Georgia, we MUST beat Georgia.

You are clearly right that no, this isn't nearly as bad. I my initial reaction was based on:

- Confusion on whether Grier out for calendar year AND additional year of eligibility (which appears not to be the case)
- If the above had been true, not even clear if Grier would still be here, or if he would have been kicked off team or banned (which has been clarified not to happen)
- The outside chance that we are good enough to make it in the top 4 this year
- The perception that Grier has the potential to be one of the all time greats, and this could thwart that somewhat.
- Put all that together and it would have been quite a turn of our future.

That 1984 team was quite a team and was probably the best in the nation. BYU won the national championship that year and played nobody the entire year. UF was #1 in the computer polls. We won the SEC championship, as you indicate, then I think months later the SEC stripped it, which seemed like a ticky tack move, but in retrospect is understandable. What was irritating is the voting was political and somewhat split, and those programs who competed with us the most via recruiting etc, were the ones that voted to strip. Seems like spilled milk now with all of our SEC titles, but that was a big damn deal then as our first SEC title.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
L3 Terminus

WARNING:
Do not exceed recommended amount. Use only as directed. Not intended for use by persons under 18 or by those with a serious medical condition. Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Please consult your physician before using this
product. Do not use if tamper resistant seal is broken.
Any Person who participates in sports and/or any other competitor in sports who is subject to the WADA – Anti Doping Code, or is subject to similar codes or other rules regarding the use of supplements in sports, should not use this product. Users are responsible for consulting with a medical provider and reviewing all ingredients prior to use. Users are responsible for complying with all laws and codes regarding participation in sports.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll wait for something official on what he tested positive for. This is already the second or third thing we've heard in just a few hours and it's coming from some chick I've never heard of tweeting that a store clerk told her Will Grier bought it last week? Yeah, that's not real credible in my opinion.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n296466 said:
I'll wait for something official on what he tested positive for. This is already the second or third thing we've heard in just a few hours and it's coming from some chick I've never heard of tweeting that a store clerk told her Will Grier bought it last week? Yeah, that's not real credible in my opinion.

She is some low level person that reports for some Gator website I think. Doubt she would just make it up being a UF Grad but you never know. She would have been smart not to say anything however whether she knows something legit or not.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Increased testosterone levels by 42% in 7 days? Guys hold on, ill be right back, headed to complete nutrition.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Even if he was dumb enough to knowingly take a banned substance to try to bulk up, a year is a pretty stiff price to pay, so I have no issues of him coming back in a year. Other players have done far worse and ended up back on the field in short order.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n296418 said:
I am assuming that Treon gets us to Atlanta and plays well. How do you turn it all back over to Grier if Treon gets the respect of the team?

You can't and apparently some posters are unable or unwilling to look that far ahead to see the obvious problem. He's not leaving us for a few games. He's gone for an entire year. Assuming Harris remains the starter, unless he's really struggling at that point next season, Grier will have to hope he can somehow work himself back into the rotation having not taken a college snap in a year, an almost impossible task no matter his talent.

So we go into 2017 before he has a real chance to start again. At that point, he's essentially been sidelined two full years. Is the team going to welcome him back with open arms? Will they even feel the need to? How far along is Harris at that point? Is there another quarterback on the horizon? So many variables working against him. I'm not sure I want to bet on him. It's a shame. He was the brightest star to cross this program in some time.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
URGatorBait;n296426 said:
There was a period of time today when it looked like it was a substance that you can't just accidentally get. Keep that in mind when you are reading this thread. I for one would not support anyone who actively and knowingly attempted to take a banned substance.

If this is indeed because he took flu medicine, then this whole thing is a ****ing sham and quite honestly, I'd support taking the NCAA to court, if there is a case to be had.
Odds are this isn't because he took flu medicine, lets not be total idiots folks. But why all the hate if he took a supplement that straddled the boundaries of protein powder and androgen booster? I've got news for you, most of your favorite athletes have used PEDS. I'm not sure you're cut out to be a sports fan if you feel so strongly about it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n296496 said:
Odds are this isn't because he took flu medicine, lets not be total idiots folks. But why all the hate if he took a supplement that straddled the boundaries of protein powder and androgen booster? I've got news for you, most of your favorite athletes have used PEDS. I'm not sure you're cut out to be a sports fan if you feel so strongly about it.

You serious right here?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Grier transfers, I assume he has to sit out all of next year?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n296508 said:
Is your firing squad ready? What time is the execution?
Don't tell me you forgot how to read too. Come on, you're better than that.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
URGatorBait;n296498 said:
You serious right here?
So PEDS are rampant in water polo and cycling but you thought they were rare in bloodsports? Wake up son. I hate to break it to you but there's no Santa Claus.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n296515 said:
So PEDS are rampant in water polo and cycling but you thought they were rare in bloodsports? Wake up son. I hate to break it to you but there's no Santa Claus.

Wow. You gonna keep diggin that ditch?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n296510 said:
Don't tell me you forgot how to read too. Come on, you're better than that.

Dude....you're so back and forth it's unreal. Multiple people are questioning you and you just say they can't read. Pick a side and stick with it. One instance you're saying he's lying and then you say he's not. What is it? Say how you really feel and stick with it.

My take, I'm not ready to run him out of town, execute him or anything. I think ultimately it will be determined he made a horrible mistake. I'm hoping it's medication, but it may not be. Still, I don't think he's a horrible human being that needs to be kicked off the team.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
URGatorBait;n296519 said:
Wow. You gonna keep diggin that ditch?
Okay, I give up. Did you write this or not? I for one would not support anyone who actively and knowingly attempted to take a banned substance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.