Will Griers attorney says Florida fans can rest easy when it comes to his appeal

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n300093 said:
He is still working on getting pot legal right?
Yup, via an amendment to the state constitution.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ItsDookie87;n300097 said:
In the Ryan Braun case, the individual that was transporting the sample took it home and put it in his fridge before taking it the next day. According to other individuals that they interviewed, this was common practice at the time but Braun's team made the point that they don't know what could have been done to it at the individual's house and those are the grounds he got off on I believe.

I really want to know what it was Grier tested positive for, was it OTC weight gain or something banned in some OTC flu medicine. I mean I originally thought the flu thing was pretty crazy but the timeline fits. They said that a failed NCAA test is reported to the team anywhere from like 2-14 days after the test and Grier had the flu for the Ole Miss game the week before his failed test came out which would be roughly 7-14 days prior to the reports. It could also help explain why they seem to be going all out with this appeal that otherwise would seem like a no brainer denial. It's probably not anything flu related but just a thought and observation.

One site I read said it can be close to 4 weeks from the time the player submits the original sample to the time the B sample gets tested and is confirmed to the player's school.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;n300103 said:
I thought this was interesting as well:
The father of Gators’ punter Johnny Townsend, Clay Townsend will be working cooperatively with UF's counsel in the matter.
Townsend has litigated complex commercial disputes in the entertainment and sports arena.
Townsend has handled high-profile cases, including a suit against Britney Spears by her former manager, suit by the Backstreet Boys against their former manager

It's fourth and long Clay - and we need a coffin corner

I saw that Clay was going to be involved, but I didn't see before that he is the father of our punter lol.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I KNEW Johnny Townsend was a rock star. And Fever....in the South it's ig-nernt....two syllables.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Himey;n300065 said:
Not sure why Grier would hire Morgan and Morgan. Doesn't seem like something in the wheel house for their paralegals and case managers.

Made me LOL.

Yes, their case managers handle all the small stuff (and most cases are small stuff) but Morgan and Morgan has some truly outstanding litigators on staff.

But this case isn't about litigation skills, or picking the right kind of jury--the kinds of things those guys do best.

It's either going to be scientific and technical (like arguing DNA or breathalyzer evidence) or it's going to be a lot of begging and groveling.

How much money is Morgan and Morgan willing to spend on hiring the best scientific experts in exchange for some free publicity and the goodwill of GatorNation?

And I agree that Matt Morgan's tweet was dumb. Real dumb. He's working the free publicity/gatornation goodwill angle to benefit his firm but he's doing a disservice to his client. You can be damn sure everybody associated with the NCAA testing and compliance has heard about that tweet and they're thinking to themselves "oh, REALLY!?!".

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MJMGator;n300104 said:
Break the rules that have been established for years? No problem...look for a lawyer and a loophole.

To be fair, both our QB's have been give their fair share of leniency and privilege as UF football players. Hopefully they both take advantage of their second chances.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
MJMGator;n300104 said:
Break the rules that have been established for years? No problem...look for a lawyer and a loophole.

I have always been one to want to punish players that do criminal acts no matter their position on the team. If you have charges against you, your suspended at least until those charges are dropped. If convicted, I fully support being throw off the team. I think that if they found out Grier was shooting steroids, he should be gone for good. Under these circumstances, I think Grier screwed himself and his team not to mention all gator fans. He should be punished. But I think the NCAA needs to re-visit their policies for these situations as well as re-evaluating the banned substance list. His crime does not match the time and I hope he is successful in reducing his suspension. If he screws up again, then bye bye.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope he's quit taking it ... but if he wins a reduction or a reinstate, what's the likelihood they would test him again ?
Hope he seeks gains through our nutrition advisers.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
They picked Morgan and Morgan because they are For The People.

logo-header.png

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n300117 said:
I have always been one to want to punish players that do criminal acts no matter their position on the team. If you have charges against you, your suspended at least until those charges are dropped. If convicted, I fully support being throw off the team. I think that if they found out Grier was shooting steroids, he should be gone for good. Under these circumstances, I think Grier screwed himself and his team not to mention all gator fans. He should be punished. But I think the NCAA needs to re-visit their policies for these situations as well as re-evaluating the banned substance list. His crime does not match the time and I hope he is successful in reducing his suspension. If he screws up again, then bye bye.

Where was everyone clamoring about this before our QB went stupid and decided he could take whatever he wanted without clearing it first? Look, he broke the rules and they have been in place for years. The list is common knowledge, along with the consequences. He's gone and it's time to move on. His fault and no one else.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not too hard to argue that there is a quantitative difference between ignorantly even negligently taking a protein shake from GNC vs someone taking a shot of steroids in the azz. That being said, the NCAA has never made a bit of sense. I have zero confidence in them doing something just because it makes some sense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300148 said:
It's not too hard to argue that there is a quantitative difference between ignorantly even negligently taking a protein shake from GNC vs someone taking a shot of steroids in the azz. That being said, the NCAA has never made a bit of sense. I have zero confidence in them doing something just because it makes some sense.

My question is why even go to GNC? They can get anything they want that is legal from the nutrition staff. Pure stupidity and it pisses me off the more I think about it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
M&M have a lot of ties to UF. The firm does a lot more than PI these days and pride's itself on taking on the big boys for the little person that normally could not afford to take on some of these cases(not personal injury). He's actually a pretty cool dude and a huge huge Gator.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n300152 said:
My question is why even go to GNC? They can get anything they want that is legal from the nutrition staff. Pure stupidity and it pisses me off the more I think about it.
Who fvkkin knows what goes thru a 19 yo brain?

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I don't understand why any OTC item, legally available to anyone without a prescription at your neighborhood Walgreen's. CVS. Publix, or wherever, should be of concern to the NCAA.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MJMGator;n300145 said:
Where was everyone clamoring about this before our QB went stupid and decided he could take whatever he wanted without clearing it first? Look, he broke the rules and they have been in place for years. The list is common knowledge, along with the consequences. He's gone and it's time to move on. His fault and no one else.

Drivers licenses have been issued since the 1930's, and it's common knowledge that you can't drive a car without one. Additionally, laws and rules regarding marijuana have been in place for years as well. Treon clearly disregard those.

You're a good poster and we're typically on the same page, but you seem to be really harsh on what may have been a kid making an honest mistake. That's fine, but let's not pretend that Treon's been a saint who follows all the rules either. As I said above, they've both made some mistakes. But I can tell you that some schools may have already parted ways with Harris based on his off-field issues through the first 16 months. Not bashing him, or you per se, But I think a little balance is in order here.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n300168 said:
Drivers licenses have been issued since the 1930's, and it's common knowledge that you can't drive a car without one. Additionally, laws and rules regarding marijuana have been in place for years as well. Treon clearly disregard those.

You're a good poster and we're typically on the same page, but you seem to be really harsh on what may have been a kid making an honest mistake. That's fine, but let's not pretend that Treon's been a saint who follows all the rules either. As I said above, they've both made some mistakes. But I can tell you that some schools may have already parted ways with Harris based on his off-field issues through the first 16 months. Not bashing him, or you per se, But I think a little balance is in order here.

It's common knowledge at UF that you can smoke weed and still play. It's also common knowledge that you can drive without a DL and still play. It's certainly common knowledge that you CANNOT take an NCAA banned substance and be eligible anywhere.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Chomper;n300162 said:
I don't understand why any OTC item, legally available to anyone without a prescription at your neighborhood Walgreen's. CVS. Publix, or wherever, should be of concern to the NCAA.

I agree Chomper ... what if it is just a substance that makes a test positive but it is a simple protein shake. Does the
suspendable violation relate to anything that causes a positive test ? ... or does the NCAA lab isolate & identify the
specific substance that's illegal ? The Morgans will find out and not let the NCAA do their cloak & dagger game ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator