Will Griers attorney says Florida fans can rest easy when it comes to his appeal

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
MJMGator;n300145 said:
Where was everyone clamoring about this before our QB went stupid and decided he could take whatever he wanted without clearing it first? Look, he broke the rules and they have been in place for years. The list is common knowledge, along with the consequences. He's gone and it's time to move on. His fault and no one else.

Did you not read my post? Totally his fault and he deserves punishment. I dont think anyone disputes that. As far as me or anyone else "moving on" well, I will decide when and where to do that. Like I said before, there are DOZENS of subjects here that are discussed daily that people should be moving on from....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MJMGator;n300172 said:
It's common knowledge at UF that you can smoke weed and still play. It's also common knowledge that you can drive without a DL and still play. It's certainly common knowledge that you CANNOT take an NCAA banned substance and be eligible anywhere.

Come on, MJM. Of course we'll allow kids a few chances for weed(not sure the precedent on no DL). But it's against the rules and someone blatantly doing it during the season is a selfish move. The fact that we give several chances doesn't somehow make it ok. Again, we're all Treon fans and want him to succeed at the helm. But giving his transgressions a pass, while crucifying a player who may have unknowingly taken something, is unbalanced.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n300173 said:
I agree Chomper ... what if it is just a substance that makes a test positive but it is a simple protein shake. Does the
suspendable violation relate to anything that causes a positive test ? ... or does the NCAA lab isolate & identify the
specific substance that's illegal ? The Morgans will find out and not let the NCAA do their cloak & dagger game ?

What if the banned substance is a masking agent, so they can't see what else was taken?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
If Grier looked like Tony Mandarich and got busted for roids I could see being ready to cut him loose. But he is still barely big enough to play QB in the SEC without getting broken in half. He didn't gain a physical advantage over his opponents because he went from 170 lbs. to 210 lbs. in a little shorter time than most.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n300176 said:
Come on, MJM. Of course we'll allow kids a few chances for weed(not sure the precedent on no DL). But it's against the rules and someone blatantly doing it during the season is a selfish move. The fact that we give several chances doesn't somehow make it ok. Again, we're all Treon fans and want him to succeed at the helm. But giving his transgressions a pass, while crucifying a player who may have unknowingly taken something, is unbalanced.

His stupidity has just pissed me off. How often is someone that dumb? Can't recall the last time an NCAA football player was found using PEDs...no matter if it was an "innocent mistake" or not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n300176 said:

I don't know about crucifying, but when I talk to former UF athletes they tell me how it was dumb for him not to go to the team doctors and at least ask. Two former track teamers wouldn't take OTC cough meds in fear of a one year ban due to something being in them on the list. A former football player told me that they understood the mistake, but also said the mistake is fully on him. The resources are fully there so these kinds of things didn't happen.

I think we all realize it was a mistake, but with the resources available to him. It was his duty to take advantage of them. Every one I have spoken to said they feel for Grier that it was a mistake of youth, but agree with the penalty as well. All hope he wins the appeal to be back week 1.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yep, it has pissed us all off. Also, the fact that we never hear of this happening is strange to me....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MJMGator;n300182 said:
His stupidity has just pissed me off. How often is someone that dumb? Can't recall the last time an NCAA football player was found using PEDs...no matter if it was an "innocent mistake" or not.

The specific circumstance is unique. The stupidity is far from it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n300130 said:
They picked Morgan and Morgan because they are Suing People With Money, Because They Have the Money.
They will impress me the day they take a case For The People, suing someone who doesn't have money. Maybe when they start suing heroin dealers for all the death and destruction they do to The People.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think the Morgans will get to the bottom of it. When, who knows. But I have never been a fan of the NCAA and how they do crap. They are totally inconsistent and in Grier's situation he should be punished. But I do not think the punishment fits the crime here. You can break a law and take something illegal and get a one game sit down. Take an over the counter......1year ban. I get the rules but the NCAA needs to get with it.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I think that if Grier got caught doing a UF drug test it would be up to UF to determine the punishment like they do with weed. The difference here is that it was an NCAA test and I believe that even if you're caught smoking weed on an NCAA test you would get a year. I'm probably wrong though....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n300192 said:
I think the Morgans will get to the bottom of it. When, who knows. But I have never been a fan of the NCAA and how they do crap. They are totally inconsistent and in Grier's situation he should be punished. But I do not think the punishment fits the crime here. You can break a law and take something illegal and get a one game sit down. Take an over the counter......1year ban. I get the rules but the NCAA needs to get with it.

Difference is in classification. For Performance Enhancers its a one year ban, and with "street drugs' the NCAA has changed their position officially in 2010 (at least for pot). So the one year ban isn't a change in position, it has been around for over 25 years from what I understand but nothing to verify that.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300160 said:
Who fvkkin knows what goes thru a 19 yo brain?

This is the part I don't get with MJM's hard core stance. Unless Grier was shooting steroids into his ass, this is a ridiculous rule. Over the counter protein shakes are not the same thing in any way shape or form and should not carry the same penalty. Dude really must've been Jesus Christ when he was a young man. That's the only explanation I can think of for his deep enmity for any breaking of any rules at all, no matter what the circumstances...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why this isn't like a 4 game suspension for a first offense like in the NFL. Also they must only test when an accusation is made or something usually having so few players busted for it. Hell Bama had a bunch of kids that were probably taking the real "juice" a few years back.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n300019 said:
Dumb move imo as that will piss the NCAA off probably. Also the part "or can argue that he didn’t know what he was putting in his body" makes the lawyer seem naive on this issue if that is what he was saying.

Stupid move. Really unwise. The article I read states it was from one of the attorneys,and it clearly by the name, wasn't the primary attorney. Sounds like a young man's ego got in the way of their client's best interests.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300160 said:
Who fvkkin knows what goes thru a 19 yo brain?

That "skinny-arms Peyton" commercial really screwed with his head...he should plead temporary insanity.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n300020 said:
Best case scenario.. IMO is that Grier is avail in 2016. I don't think he plays again this year.

There's no telling how much longer the NCAA will stall on the appeal now. Putting the sentiment out on Twitter was really unprofessional and potentially very detrimental to the outcome and the processing time of the appeal. .

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n300208 said:
Sounds like a young man's ego got in the way of their client's best interests.

And probably without a job now. As it should be. This was a monumental idiotic move. It helps no one to publicly announce on social media "rest easy, we got this". As someone else said above, you can bet when the NCAA officials that matter see this, they'll be thinking "oh, really?". Stupid, stupid, stupid move.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
88drgator;n300047 said:
The big deal is whether they have a chance of winning. Wouldn't you like to have Grier back sooner?

The big deal is it not only is unprofessional, but it is terrible pre negotiation strategy. It is one thing to be confident t about your chances o your client and even your adversary, but you don't go flaunting your ego and calling sucess, pre negotiation with a despotic organization, if you have any sense. . . I would bet this is some junior attroneyr brought in to do research and infatuated that he is included in on the case preparation. Stupid move that can hurt their client and deter the results they might have gotten otherwise.

Now the NCAA might decide it needs to show them and the world how really tough they are and that you can't take them for granted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.