Will Mullen have the same emphasis on Special Teams that Meyer had?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I mentioned in another thread that Mullen was with Meyer at Bowling Green and Utah. He’s seen the major emphasis that Meyer had on Special Teams and how important it is. Do you think he’ll have that same focus? Does anyone know anything about the play of the Special Teams at MSU under Mullen?

Discuss.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You wonder why every coach doesn't put a major emphasis on it. Without a doubt the most underrated aspect of the game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I remember that Meyer gave the special teams players extra privileges, like being able to eat first. It was brilliant stuff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I mentioned in another thread that Mullen was with Meyer at Bowling Green and Utah. He’s seen the major emphasis that Meyer had on Special Teams and how important it is. Do you think he’ll have that same focus? Does anyone know anything about the play of the Special Teams at MSU under Mullen?

Discuss.
They are pretty good, but Creyer was the master on STs. Creyer wasn't that much involved with offense.

I don't know who was the ST coordinator, but I know Mullins has adopted some of the things like playing starters (or at least guys in the starting rotation) on ST extra privilege stuff.

I'm pretty confident they will be above average for us too, and that our OL disaster since 2010 is fixed soon.

Not so sure about D. We will see.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:faint: WTF are you fielding that inside the 10... :eek3:

I'm thinking we'll be a bit more sound in most things we do :lol3:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Our special teams have had the excitement of year old milk. Enough.

Haven't we been burned enough this season alone to see the importance of getting that unit up to par?

Damn shame. STs are both a defensive and scoring unit. not an afterthought. they win or lose so many games.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen might have to start with basic fundamentals with this team. Like @#$ wiping this team learned nothing but that running onto Steve Spurrier field is priddy kewl from the previous staff.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
ST upgrade is sorely needed. God what a mess we were! Eddie & Townsend, but we can’t stay in lanes, or tackle anybody. How I wish for the days of Riley Cooper flying down the field and destroying the returner.
Biggest concern is do we have the depth it seems necessary to have great STs? Above average should be a mainstay at UF!
I remember how Meyer had the kids lining up to play ST cause they got to eat 1st and other goodies.

SGAGator

Jun 6, 2016
The only way is up, this is one area should be some low hanging fruit to be able to show improvement, this year we had 2 of the best kickers in the SEC, and didn’t take advantage of their abilities

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We were incredibly aggressive on STs. Blocks galore. He knew when to dial it up, or go back for a return. His STs won us a national title hands down.

Hopefully we can channel some of that into the first two years here because we’ll an extra step while the O and D come together.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
As with the offense, the slightest effort and increased emphasis by the coaches will likely produce drastic improvement over what we were forced to witness in the '17 season.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
According to Football Outsiders: Miss State

# 107 in Kickoff return efficiency, # 51 in Kickoff efficiency

# 14 in Punt return efficiency, # 42 in Punt efficiency

# 30 overall Special teams which includes FGs etc.
----------------------------------

Florida only ranked # 104 overall on Special teams and that was due to FG efficiency. Our punt return and kickoff return stats were right near the bottom of FBS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator