Will Mullen have the same emphasis on Special Teams that Meyer had?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
According to Football Outsiders: Miss State

# 107 in Kickoff return efficiency, # 51 in Kickoff efficiency

# 14 in Punt return efficiency, # 42 in Punt efficiency

# 30 overall Special teams which includes FGs etc.
----------------------------------

Florida only ranked # 104 overall on Special teams and that was due to FG efficiency. Our punt return and kickoff return stats were right near the bottom of FBS.
One of the best punters and FG kicker ever and our special teams stats still sucked. We've had, back to back, two of the most inept HCs ever.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I mentioned in another thread that Mullen was with Meyer at Bowling Green and Utah. He’s seen the major emphasis that Meyer had on Special Teams and how important it is. Do you think he’ll have that same focus? Does anyone know anything about the play of the Special Teams at MSU under Mullen?

Discuss.

I don't know what his ST was at MSU, though I appreciate others posting such information. THAT would be a better indicator of DM's intentions with ST at UF than what he may have picked up from CUM. DM is his own man, his own coach with his own philosophy and priorities. IF he picked up anything from Meyer, it would have shown at MSU. I do not expect a return of Meyer level priority for ST, I expect an MSU level of priority for our ST but with slightly better talent.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
He better. I seem to remember a couple of things he better do.

Some starters will be playing on special teams, it is that important.

We need to have a strong walk on program especially focused on military vets.

Loosing both kickers means they better have or get replacements.

Now with so many hurt and the idiot 9 it is difficult to play special teams well, although NFL teams seem to do it.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I remember Urbs used to really emphasize Special Teams. I think he got his start as a Special Teams Coach or sumthin. He'd tell all those 4 and 5-Star high school kids he was stacking that the fastest way on the field was to excel on Special Teams. Whining about not getting enough snaps, go make a play on kick coverage. Man, those teams were Champions. We'll see if Coach Mullen can replicate the success.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I remember Urbs used to really emphasize Special Teams. I think he got his start as a Special Teams Coach or sumthin. He'd tell all those 4 and 5-Star high school kids he was stacking that the fastest way on the field was to excel on Special Teams. Whining about not getting enough snaps, go make a play on kick coverage. Man, those teams were Champions. We'll see if Coach Mullen can replicate the success.
Spot on.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What I liked in ncargat's video is Mullen's sideline involvement = he looks to be immediately checking field position, checking the clock, for putting together the possible offensive playcalls to hit'em with next. That's not anything like the Zen detachment we've had for years.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I dont have extensive knowledge in the history of UF punt returners, but Brandon James has to be close to first on that list, right? That guy was electric.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I dont have extensive knowledge in the history of UF punt returners, but Brandon James has to be close to first on that list, right? That guy was electric.
Other teams had to game plan around him. Meyers special teams were a huge part of his success.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Hear, hear! We need anothern like James -- fearless. sure handed, fast, uncanny canny field vision.
If we get juco Heath (4.24 40 speed) and flip Shwartz from Auburn then that's a good start. I'm sure UF's modern-dance teachers can show them the "hip-commitment" required for shiptiness, show'em how to bust a move. Plus, I think learning to do that "pop" might make them a bit more immune to injury.= thinkin' outside the box.

When I was at UF in '63 the football coach had O&D linemen taking trampoline & ballet. I know, but ballet teaches stalwart balance when being assaulted by a flying ballerina. = Thinking outside the box. For arm and hand strength for handstrength & body-balance reactions, I'd like to see WRs & linemen & LBs work on the pommel horse. Besides the obvious muscles development, their brains would establish a superrior weight-shift biofeedback useful in keeping the blocks or throwing a blocker aside.

I think it's been shown that "real-life" tasks enlist muscles that weight-room rote lifting doesn't call forth. That's mostly in the past, when young boys were farmhands before they played at football... also contruction work, lumber yard etc - not that "couch-city" slinkin' video game thumb development of today.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
He was too busy focusing on getting the TEs involved I guess...oh, wait...

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Hear, hear! We need anothern like James -- fearless. sure handed, fast, uncanny canny field vision.
If we get juco Heath (4.24 40 speed) and flip Shwartz from Auburn then that's a good start. I'm sure UF's modern-dance teachers can show them the "hip-commitment" required for shiptiness, show'em how to bust a move. Plus, I think learning to do that "pop" might make them a bit more immune to injury.= thinkin' outside the box.

When I was at UF in '63 the football coach had O&D linemen taking trampoline & ballet. I know, but ballet teaches stalwart balance when being assaulted by a flying ballerina. = Thinking outside the box. For arm and hand strength for handstrength & body-balance reactions, I'd like to see WRs & linemen & LBs work on the pommel horse. Besides the obvious muscles development, their brains would establish a superrior weight-shift biofeedback useful in keeping the blocks or throwing a blocker aside.

I think it's been shown that "real-life" tasks enlist muscles that weight-room rote lifting doesn't call forth. That's mostly in the past, when young boys were farmhands before they played at football... also contruction work, lumber yard etc - not that "couch-city" slinkin' video game thumb development of today.
If irc Herchel Walker took ballet.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Yes he was but he also had a great blocking scheme to help him.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
According to Football Outsiders: Miss State

# 107 in Kickoff return efficiency, # 51 in Kickoff efficiency

# 14 in Punt return efficiency, # 42 in Punt efficiency

# 30 overall Special teams which includes FGs etc.
----------------------------------

Florida only ranked # 104 overall on Special teams and that was due to FG efficiency. Our punt return and kickoff return stats were right near the bottom of FBS.

Good stuff @Gator Fever http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator