Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How much or many of the transfer outs would have been planned/encouraged? Seems close to being engineered.

What the exact number was I don't know... but a lot of your lower-level guys, or guys that were not the staff's guys were asked to leave to make space.... the 2020 roster exceptions are still messing up a lot of college teams, and there are no longer exceptions for the total roster number anymore.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
What the exact number was I don't know... but a lot of your lower-level guys, or guys that were not the staff's guys were asked to leave to make space.... the 2020 roster exceptions are still messing up a lot of college teams, and there are no longer exceptions for the total roster number anymore.
That must be an odd converaation to have, that “you will always be a gator but....

And its fine. At least now players can make the move on their own and staffs have room to maneuver as well. I realize NIL is difficult and mostly BS- a way of paying players pretending their N I L is actually used- but the way it used to be was only good for teams and fans.

Good to see staff having portal success.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the 2020 roster exceptions are still messing up a lot of college teams, and there are no longer exceptions for the total roster number anymore.
That is so stupid and totally limits the options of HS kids and transfers. Most teams are full.

Less kids will get a scholly out of HS and a substantial number of portal kids go no where.

Not every kid develops as a soph. Some kids take til yr 4-5 to develop. These are being lost.

I think they should have exempted ever covid super senior at least from the 85.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That is so stupid and totally limits the options of HS kids and transfers. Most teams are full.

Less kids will get a scholly out of HS and a substantial number of portal kids go no where.

it's been stupid from the start for guys were not upper classmen.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Not every kid develops as a soph. Some kids take til yr 4-5 to develop. These are being lost.

I think they should have exempted ever covid super senior at least from the 85.

Can’t remember who, but somebody was talking about this about a year ago on Rivals. Think Lugenbill maybe. But he said, those two star kids that might have been last minute takes at P5 programs are not going to be any more, and may not get scholarships at all because the portal enables teams to add depth in a different way. And where a G5 school may have been the route before, now you see them also accessing the portal to take castoffs that didn’t make it at P5 level. Lingard obviously taking someone’s spot at Toledo last year is a good example of this. Maybe there was a stretch HS kid that they would’ve taken otherwise. Now they grab a former 5* player instead and he’s out. So it’s affecting things at the HS level for sure.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Always the risk with staffs that consistently recruit inside the top 10. And even if Grims hits the portal, it does not mean he would have developed at UF. We wish opponent boards were saying the same thing about our commits- that they will transfer in two seasons when passed by our next elite class.
Ain’t that the truth

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Most are encouraged. Not ETN.

I suspect Princely was told he was losing time to Searcy and Collins.
I know it's hard to say this about a 20-22 year old player but I get the feeling a good number of our pre 2022 players were/are at their ceiling either physically or ability to understand their positions on a P5 level. The variables that we're not sure of is proper P5 coaching.....

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I know it's hard to say this about a 20-22 year old player but I get the feeling a good number of our pre 2022 players were/are at their ceiling either physically or ability to understand their positions on a P5 level. The variables that we're not sure of is proper P5 coaching.....
I believe we have enough evidence which says our guys portal bound may not have been properly coached

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think there are ceiling issues too beyond just the coaching. Many of these kids were low 4* precisely because of that, some whole in their game or their physical capabilities. We get wrapped up in 4* but remember that in 2006 or so 4* meant top 250 or so. One year the Pouncey twins were like 248 and 250 (more or less, from memory) and one was a 4* and one was a 3*. Alabama and Georgia (and a few others) still live in that top 100 mostly and some top 250 zone, and we are grabbing MOSTLY "4 star" kids who would have been 3* a decade ago. It shows.

I doubt even Ox would argue we have coaching deficiencies at most positions.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think there are ceiling issues too beyond just the coaching. Many of these kids were low 4* precisely because of that, some whole in their game or their physical capabilities. We get wrapped up in 4* but remember that in 2006 or so 4* meant top 250 or so. One year the Pouncey twins were like 248 and 250 (more or less, from memory) and one was a 4* and one was a 3*. Alabama and Georgia (and a few others) still live in that top 100 mostly and some top 250 zone, and we are grabbing MOSTLY "4 star" kids who would have been 3* a decade ago. It shows.

I doubt even Ox would argue we have coaching deficiencies at most positions.
9 times out of 10 from the years 1990 to 2010 UF was visibly bigger, stronger and faster than the whatever team lined up across from them.....that has slipped away to the point where it is obvious even watching from TV....in fact I've noticed outside of a few guys in the last 3 to 4 years we look small and I rarely see our players manhandle their guys in one on one matchups.... Yeah I agree the last 3 or 4 staffs haven't had a good handle on the X's and O's but despite our recruiting rankings looking decent we just aren't getting the right bodies for the right positions either.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Big jumps for some of our players in the new 247 rankings update.

Some highlights:

1. Lagway jumps to #4
2. McCray remains at #6
3. Amari and Filsaime are just a couple spots outside of 5*
4. Kahnen Daniels (who may end up being a star) jumps up to 187

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if the dwags felt good about stealing Chauncey Bowens from us. He’s had an absolutely terrible senior year. We ended up getting Daniels who had an amazing senior year and skyrocketed. Bowens’ rating plummeted.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wonder if the dwags felt good about stealing Chauncey Bowens from us. He’s had an absolutely terrible senior year. We ended up getting Daniels who had an amazing senior year and skyrocketed. Bowens’ rating plummeted.

I noticed the vols went for another Peyton, this time at RB. Nice to see we can pencil in that win for the next 4 years.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Daniels is explosive. I've liked him better than Bowens all along. Would of been nice to get both, but Webb looks pretty solid behind Johnson. RB is not our issue.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We’ve had some good portal news the last 24 hours to soften some of the blow, but this hurts. Drops us to 10th on 247, and pretty much means we can’t lose anyone else(LJM, Hayes, Williams) and still finish inside the Top 10, assuming we add the Ark RB and the Athlete/S. If we lost 2 of those guys we’re 15-20 range, which is totally unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.