Almost SWAMP Time...8 days until...

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Im going into this season as a pumper. Im buying in. Im rooting for the Gators. I want Mullen to work out because I really have no faith that Stricklin will do much better the next go around. Bama is judgement day for me. We only lost by 6 points to them and we looked competitive. Ive been assured that the defense was an anomaly last season, Mullen has his offense with the players he wanted and unlike alabama, we have a seasoned QB leading us on our own field. No excuses. Go Gators!

I pray you are right.

So if we get throttled the what?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We arent gonna get throttled. Despite what the CJ says we were an exciting team to watch that was competive when it came to the highest level of competition. I wonder who will replace our recievers but we will be better on def. and different on offense. If we had the def. from the previous year to go with last years offense Bama gets the shock of their life. btw our team sucks. recruits suck. coaches suck. Admin sucks and this post sucks. Feel free to add to it or pile on.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We arent gonna get throttled. Despite what the CJ says we were an exciting team to watch that was competive when it came to the highest level of competition. I wonder who will replace our recievers but we will be better on def. and different on offense. If we had the def. from the previous year to go with last years offense Bama gets the shock of their life. btw our team sucks. recruits suck. coaches suck. Admin sucks and this post sucks. Feel free to add to it or pile on.
your take sucks.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Coach:

I pray for you. You seem like a nice guy but you appear to be as lost as Biden.

Did you see the TAMU Game?...LSU?...How could you STOMACH the Bowl?

And guess what has not changed since 2020?

17335708-26d0-461a-b55b-9f11d6f66fab.sized-1000x1000.jpg

The Gators ranked 83rd nationally in yards per game allowed and 72nd in third down conversion percentage. With a dynamic offense led by quarterback and Heisman candidate Kyle Trask and a slew of weapons like former tight end Kyle Pitts and former wide receiver Kadarius Toney, even a slightly better defense could have possibly propelled them past teams like Alabama — and almost certainly would have propelled them over teams like Texas A&M and LSU.

Florida made defensive changes, but not the right one - The Independent Florida Alligator

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The Florida Gators defense returns a lot of players from 2020. Is that a good thing? - In All Kinds Of Weather

Usually, when a team returns the majority of one side of the ball, there is reason for excitement. The unit has experience, leadership, and can build on what was accomplished last year.

So why didn’t the talent translate to the field last year? The biggest one reason, simply put, is coaching

Grantham is, shall we say, a polarizing figure within the Florida Gators’ football team. one thing that has been proven is that Mississippi State, Georgia and Louisville fans were all correct: he is one stubborn man.

Grantham runs the same few looks over and over,
his defense becomes very predictable and vulnerable on the back end.

Making matters worse, he also chooses to play experience over talent, no matter the results.

A bad defense again in 2021 would/will be 100% Mullen’s fault

Grantham needs to not be so stubborn. Which honestly may not be plausible

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
The Florida Gators defense returns a lot of players from 2020. Is that a good thing? - In All Kinds Of Weather

Usually, when a team returns the majority of one side of the ball, there is reason for excitement. The unit has experience, leadership, and can build on what was accomplished last year.

So why didn’t the talent translate to the field last year? The biggest one reason, simply put, is coaching

Grantham is, shall we say, a polarizing figure within the Florida Gators’ football team. one thing that has been proven is that Mississippi State, Georgia and Louisville fans were all correct: he is one stubborn man.

Grantham runs the same few looks over and over,
his defense becomes very predictable and vulnerable on the back end.

Making matters worse, he also chooses to play experience over talent, no matter the results.

A bad defense again in 2021 would/will be 100% Mullen’s fault

Grantham needs to not be so stubborn. Which honestly may not be plausible

There’s a addition by subtraction element to some of that. Losing Stiner and Wilson can only go higher. Dexter getting an off-season with Savage and more reps by subtraction will also help. But in the end Grantham needs to be better and not many have confidence in that

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
There’s a addition by subtraction element to some of that. Losing Stiner and Wilson can only go higher. Dexter getting an off-season with Savage and more reps by subtraction will also help. But in the end Grantham needs to be better and not many have confidence in that

That is extremely true and boy oh boy we sure were fortunate to subtract a ton of garbage from the defense. There is no question about that. But are we adding anything? I think that is to be determined. Some get better with age and experience, some stay the same and some get worse. What about the guys we did not see? Wasn't some Wingo guy supposed to be our top D recruit last year? Did he even play?

Be that as it may, the gist of my post is that all that was subtracted on D pales in comparison to the biggest subtraction that was needed: Joe Lee Dunn Jr. and the rest of the D staff.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
That is extremely true and boy oh boy we sure were fortunate to subtract a ton of garbage from the defense. There is no question about that. But are we adding anything? I think that is to be determined. Some get better with age and experience, some stay the same and some get worse. What about the guys we did not see? Wasn't some Wingo guy supposed to be our top D recruit last year? Did he even play?

Be that as it may, the gist of my post is that all that was subtracted on D pales in comparison to the biggest subtraction that was needed: Joe Lee Dunn Jr. and the rest of the D staff.

Yes, the addition is theoretical, but personally, I thought Trey Dean was our best safety last year and he got the least amount of snaps. He had that great pick against Bama (how the fumble wasn’t a targeting review at least I’ll never know). And we have some 4 and 5* guys playing where 3* Stiner and co was. I think Houston is actually a bit of a loss, but it give time for Wingo and who knows where baby Reese will play this year. STAR may be better. DT’s couldn’t be much worse. Cox, Diabate, Moon, Dexter, etc. should be better, stronger, more experienced in the system (mainly Cox/Dexter), and the D should be top 100. But I am using “should” a lot.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
8 more days until Kick-Off 2021.

Do we go 7-5? or 10-2?

All is possible. Thoughts? Desires?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Do we go 7-5? or 10-2?

I know we put a lot of emphasis on 3rd and Grantham being a problem (which it is), but my biggest concern is ...
can we score enough points to overcome our D-coordinator?
That's going to fall on either EJ or AR.
I really don't think it's going to be pretty on offense, so I'm going with 8-4... dammit.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So the missing component causing the Gators to lose is the lost art of eye gouging? Gotcha! :thumbup: I was sure that the shoe throw was going to be a quality replacement for the eye gouge... :rotfl: But if all else fails, maybe Mullen can bring back the O-linemen blocking each other...

bz4bie5cyaa85in.0.jpg

You should stick to breaking the legs of your best receivers when trying to run scores up after the outcome of games has been clearly decided.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017

Do we go 7-5? or 10-2?

I think 10-2 is asking a lot from this team but I'm hopeful it can happen.
I would say at least half our games could go either way.
Heavy underdog to Al.
slight underdogs to Ga. and LSU need to take at least one of these games.
Final thought till proven otherwise 9-3

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Especially since our son became a student, Mrs G and I have tried to come to few games a year. It’s expensive as it requires one or two nights in a hotel, we have to kennel the dog, and it’s a 5+ hour drive to Gainesville.
Just last night we decided that rather than come (to homecoming) for a second game this fall (we are coming for UT), we are going to visit our daughter that weekend. She goes to a small school with no football team, but our kids former HS is playing an out of state away game nearby on Friday night so we’ll go to that instead. (To be fair, the HS has a really good team with one of the top RB’s in the ‘23 class and is a fun team to watch.)
All this time I thought you were Mrs. G. So you really are a male who thinks that, quote, "doing the guy thing," is a valid criticism of other males? :ugh: And yet you supposedly love football? What's more of a guy thing than that? Story does not check out. :shakehead:

In any event you should go to the Gator game. Your daughter can come visit you at your house, some other weekend. She's a college student. She doesn't really want her Mom and Dad to come visit her at college. :embarrassed: If she does you've failed as parents.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Why do you think we will be better on defense? This is a serious question intended to produce a serious response. Which I will then mock with a non-serious reply, but it's still a serious question. Govern yourself accordingly.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Why do you think we will be better on defense? This is a serious question intended to produce a serious response. Which I will then mock with a non-serious reply, but it's still a serious question. Govern yourself accordingly.
An old Army Sergeant taught me to never challenge worst.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So the missing component causing the Gators to lose is the lost art of eye gouging? Gotcha! :thumbup: I was sure that the shoe throw was going to be a quality replacement for the eye gouge... :rotfl: But if all else fails, maybe Mullen can bring back the O-linemen blocking each other...

bz4bie5cyaa85in.0.jpg

Worst spin move I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.