An offseason basketball thread

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We should win 24 games in the regular season if not more and get a top 4 seed in the NCAA Tourney. We have alot of talent and experience coming back so we should be a pretty good team again like I thought we would be last year. Mike White doing work baby!! Go Gators!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I also thought I would play around with the 247sports class calculator. Here are some classes and their points based on current 247 rankings and where they class would have ranked in 2017 with that point total.

1. My favorite class: Dotson PG, Williams PF, Moore SF, 61.32. This number would have been the 14th class last year. This number from 3 signees would have been the top 3 player class last year.

2. Possibly the fall back class: Lomax, PG, Castleton PF, Boyce SF, 46.49. This number would have the 49th class, ie Michigan State, last year.

3. Top possible class maybe including 4 signees: Dotson PG, Williams PF, Little SF, Weaver SG, 66.61. This number would have been 8th last year. Of course this requires UF to some how turn Little around.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here is my view of UF's path to a bid:

Nov. 5: Tampa (exhibition), 2 p.m.

This one does not count, but will be fun to watch. UF record after this one is 0-0.

Nov. 13: Gardner-Webb

UF better open with a win. 1-0.

Nov. 16: North Florida

UF gets a second win. 2-0.

Nov. 19: New Hampshire

UF gets its 3rd win against so-so competition. 3-0.

Nov. 23-26: PK80 Invitational (Portland, Ore.)
UF v. Stanford
UF gets a win against a power conference team. 4-0
UF v. Zags or Ohio State Likely Zags, wins this time 5-0.
UF v. Butler, Duke, Texas or Portland State Likely Duke and UF probably loses to Duke 5-1.

Dec. 4: Florida State

UF finally gets FSU, 6-1.

Dec. 6: Loyola-Chicago

UF beats another non-power conference team. 7-1.

Dec. 9: Cincinnati (Never Forget Tribute Classic, Newark, N.J.)

This is a battle of two good defensive teams, UF the one with the better offense wins, 8-1.

Dec. 16: Clemson (Orange Bowl Classic, Sunrise, Fla.)

UF beats an middle of the road power conference team. 9-1.

Dec. 20: James Madison

UF beats another non-power conference foe. 10-1.

Dec. 22: Incarnate Word

Another lower level opponent UF beats. 11-1.
Dec. 30: Vanderbilt

UF finally wins Vandy, maybe in another close one. 12-1, 1-0 in the SEC.

Jan. 2: at Texas A&M

UF loses a tough game at a tough place, 12-2, 1-1.

Jan. 6: at Missouri

UF beats a young UMo team with a lot of talent. 13-2, 2-1.

Jan. 10: Mississippi State

Another battle of defensive teams ala last year and UF win with the better offense. 14-2, 3-1.

Jan. 13: at Ole Miss

UF gets a road win at Mississippi. 15-3, 4-1.

Jan. 17: Arkansas

UF gets a tough home win as they did last year against UAR. 16-3, 5-1

Jan. 20: at Kentucky

UF loses at UK as usual. 16-4, 5-2

Jan. 24: South Carolina

UF beats SoCar at home as UF did last year. 17-4, 6-2

Jan. 27: Baylor (SEC/Big 12 Challenge)

UF wins this one at home. 18-4, 6-2

Jan. 30: at Georgia

UF beats the Dogs. 19-4, 7-2

Feb. 3: Alabama

UF beats a young but talented UAL team at home. 20-4, 8-2

Feb. 7: LSU

UF beats LSU wiith a new coach and not much talent yet. 21-4, 9-2

Feb. 10: at South Carolina

Frank Martin uglies it up enough to win at home. 21-5, 9-3

Feb. 14: Georgia

Another UGa game UF needs to win as the schedule gets tough. 22-5, 10-3.

Feb. 17: at Vanderbilt

Vandy gets UF in the 2nd game in their confusing arena. 22-6, 10-4.

Feb. 21: at Tennessee

This is tough game for me to pick. So give it to UTn. 22-7, 10-5.

Feb. 24: Auburn

UF handles an improving AU team at home. 23-7, 11-5.

Feb. 27: at Alabama

UF gets a road win against a good but young team. 24-7, 12-5.

March 3: Kentucky

UF handles UK at home as usual. 25-7, 13-5.

March 7-11: SEC Tournament (St. Louis)

UF goes 2-1 to finish 27-8 and earn a top 4 seed.

The key to me is getting through the Phil Knight event with only 1 loss.

I like doing this each year so see if UF is ahead or behind where I thought they should be. That way I do not get too excited or too down as there will be ups and downs in 35 game pre-NCAA season.
Good stuff Insti!
However, you gave us a win AND a loss versus Ole Miss on Jan. 13. Hopefully not a moral victory. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I want that noah locke kid in this class. If we miss on Dotson , I'd like to get David Duke or the devoe kid at pg. I don't know enough about the castleton kid to really form an oppinion. He's rated a 4 star by a couple sites. But usually we end up with guys that haven't even been mentioned by anybody. So i got a feeling that who ever we get will be out of left field.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I want that noah locke kid in this class. If we miss on Dotson , I'd like to get David Duke or the devoe kid at pg. I don't know enough about the castleton kid to really form an oppinion. He's rated a 4 star by a couple sites. But usually we end up with guys that haven't even been mentioned by anybody. So i got a feeling that who ever we get will be out of left field.

I worry that combo guards are rarely PG and PG is the number one spot UF needs to fill. So I will wonder if UF gets Duke.

UF does tend to get a player out of left field each year, but not the whole class. Really Castleton could be viewed as the out of left field guy. It is the second half of August and I for one had not heard of him or UF's possible interest until this week.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I worry that combo guards are rarely PG and PG is the number one spot UF needs to fill. So I will wonder if UF gets Duke.

UF does tend to get a player out of left field each year, but not the whole class. Really Castleton could be viewed as the out of left field guy. It is the second half of August and I for one had not heard of him or UF's possible interest until this week.
Ballard, johnson and stokes were all unexpected.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just want to shout out to ya'll for talking basketball. I love football, but basketball for me is my favorite.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We really need a top bball recruit to commit and get the momentum going.....so excited for the basketball season to start..........only 3 more months!!!!!!!!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just want to shout out to ya'll for talking basketball. I love football, but basketball for me is my favorite.
I grew up in the midwest, Midwest, where there's a basketball hoop in front of every house, as you know. Basketball was always our favorite sport. Though I went to State in HS golf (but failed to make the college team), I feel my best sport ended up being basketball (I got much better and tougher in college playing intramurals - I played pickup with some Ultimate friends unitl a few years ago before my knees told me to quit, and I can tell you none of them ever wanted me to guard them - defense always meant more to me). I went 110% when playing hoops; Ultimate, about 80%, ya know, because :bandit:.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ballard, johnson and stokes were all unexpected.

You make good points about Johnson and Stokes. They were not really on anyone's radar that I read. On the other hand as I remember it, it was pretty well known that Ballard was being recruited by UF and he committed quite early.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would assume it will be between UF and Zags. Hopefully we get to play them again this year and beat them, which could sway his decision.

Yeah maybe. Hopefully he will have already picked us by then though lol

Last edited:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

New Way Too Early Preseason Poll. The Gators come in ranked 7th.

1-Duke
2-Arizona
3-Kansas
4-Michigan St
5- Kentucky
6- Louisville

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics