An offseason basketball thread

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Do we have our eyes on any big men for the 2018 class? I think pg is our biggest need, but it is always nice to add some size.
Moore and Williams are the two main taller guys...but Moore is more of a guard/point-forward and Williams is expected to follow the money as they say (Oregon)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well while we wait for the season to start how about a few videos of UF's players and new comers. Clearly the place to start is here:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Since Chiozza was tweeting about him, let's see a bit of DeAundre Ballard today:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Lost in the hoopla about Chiozza's 3 against Wisconsin was KeVaughn Allen's 35 points in that game:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
And to finish up the guards here is a Mike Okauru clip:

I do note he is not the PG or full time PG on his AAU team. I hope that he has the handle to play PG at this level.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a brutally honest article on Nembhard. Sounds like a great get, but has some limitations (which I know nothing about, just from the assessment in the article)

Nembhard an ideal point guard for Mike White's system at Florida

USATSI_9816354-1024x768.jpg

https://theathletic.com/117222/2017...oint-guard-for-mike-whites-system-at-florida/

Florida coach Mike White has asked a lot of his point guards during his six years as a head coach. After all, White himself was a four-year starter at the position for Ole Miss during his playing days.

He requires his point guards to set the tone for an aggressive defense at the point of attack, and he has them distribute the basketball for a 4-out offense predicated on ball screens and motion. It’s why his most successful years as a coach have come as Speedy Smith improved at the point in his four years at Louisiana Tech, and why Kasey Hill’s maturation into an All-SEC player last year was essential to Florida’s Elite Eight run.

That being said, White’s scheme is a friendly one to point guards. He puts the ball in their hands and allows them to make plays. However, in his short time at Florida, White had been unsuccessful in getting a highly-rated point guard to commit.

Until Monday that is, as Canadian point guard and class of 2018 recruit Andrew Nembhard committed to the Gators. He’s a consensus top-30 player in the class, and in an interview with Rivals, Nembhard stated his bond with the coaching staff was integral to him choosing Florida.

“They told me that I could come in, contribute and be a big part of the team, help make others around me better, score and pass, and just let me do what I do,” Nembhard said. “It is kind of a fast-paced system that has their guys get up into their guys on the defensive end and use a lot of ball screens on the offensive end, which is the type of system that I could excel in.”

The Montverde Academy product picked Florida over USC, Gonzaga, and Ohio State. From a scouting perspective, it’s easy to see why he was so coveted. He keeps getting better every time evaluators see him.

Nembhard has a case as the best passer in the 2018 recruiting class. At 6-foot-4, he has the size to see over the defense and find unique passing angles. His feel for the game and poise are remarkable for his age. He understands when to push it and get out on the break — either via the pass or bringing it up himself — as well as when to slow the game down. He’s also exceedingly smart in the pick-and-roll, and he has every pass type in his toolbox.

The passing ability has always been there; what allowed Nembhard to officially reclassify into the 2018 class, though, is the improvement in his body. He’s now much more able to absorb contact at about 190 pounds. Prior to this past year — a season he missed a portion of due to a reported stomach condition — he would try to avoid contact when driving. And due to average explosiveness both vertically and laterally, he sometimes struggled to finish. Now though, he’s better at dealing with physical play from bigger defenders.

Nembhard is not an elite scorer due to that lack of elite burst and an inconsistent shot. He has a two-motion jumper with a low release point that often seems slightly out of rhythm. That makes him better off the catch than off the dribble, an issue for a lead guard who often has the ball in his hands. It’s a fixable issue, though, as his touch overall seems to be solid. But it’s unlikely he’ll enter college with more than the ability to hit the occasional open 3.

Defensively, Nembhard should be able to do what White asks of his guards. He’s a tough, hard-nosed defender who will body up at the point of attack and create turnovers with his active, quick hands. Despite a below-average wingspan, he uses his size well against smaller players, and he isn’t afraid to battle against big men inside. There will be a bit of a learning curve going up against better athletes, but he has the tools to be good on that end.

Nembhard projects to be the best player to sign with the Gators since White took over following Billy Donovan’s departure to the NBA in 2015. The only question about White as a head coach of a top program had been if he could recruit elite talent. This commitment might represent a shifting of the tides for Florida on the trail.

With Chris Chiozza graduating after this season and not much behind him on the depth chart, the Gators clearly had a need at the position. Nembhard may not be the best point guard in this class, but he’s one of them and a great get for the Gators.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Shots can develop for Nembhard. Lots of time to work on it.

I like what Coach White is doing.....

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I really like articles that don't just blow smoke about every recruit. All of these guys have weaknesses. That said:

Sam Vecenie said:
White had been unsuccessful in getting a highly-rated point guard to commit.

this is wrong. White has the commitment part down for players in the top 50 who play PG. It is the signing part that needs to be finished this time.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This have probably been posted in this thread before, but this meet Egor or 3gor Koulechov video has some highlights of his play at Rice and tells his story:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Brockway article on Hudson:

http://www.gatorsports.com/2017/10/hudsons-goal-get-defensive-gators/

Here is an excerpt:

Brockway Gainesville Sun said:
Each day, a practice clip appears on Florida junior guard Jalen Hudson’s iPad or smartphone.

The clips sent by Florida basketball assistant coaches Jeremy Mincy and Darris Nichols are designed to show ways Hudson can improve as a defender.

“It’s been helping and I’ve been getting better,” Hudson said.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Creative coaching thru an i-pad, following your pupil wherever he goes. Like to hire a QB-guru with that kind of thinking= a student of the game made astute of the game. HC White has the ingredients to win vs elite teams.. Still, our free-throws should be a gift not a punishment. Excitedly looking forward to bball play - games Gator fans can look forward to.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
.a Still, our free-throws should be a gift not a punishment. Excitedly looking forward to bball play - games

I think you are remembering two years back not last year. Last year UF shot a very nice 72.9% from the FT stripe. That in the upper third of all NCAA D1 basketball teams. It was the year before that UF was near the bottom.

As for highlights today, how bout this game against UGa where Keith Stone gets 17. Not all the highlights are of Stone, 25, but several are.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the correction plus the videos, Insti. I got really hopeful in Stone's early games. He has a terrif-touch shooting & I think he's 6'8". It seems like all he needs is consistant playing time. This year, it seems we'll have a lot worthy of PT -- hope we can run the enemy silly.

I'm hoping Egbunu's early outness gives White's "work-ethic" style time to gel without leaning too much on one big-man. The Hudson guy seems ready to balnce with K.Allen for high scores. Of course, Egor will be right there too. Should be a Go Gators' year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I got really hopeful in Stone's early games. He has a terrif-touch shooting & I think he's 6'8". It seems like all he needs is consistant playing time. This year, it seems we'll have a lot worthy of PT -- hope we can run the enemy silly.

I'm hoping Egbunu's early outness gives White's "work-ethic" style time to gel without leaning too much on one big-man. The Hudson guy seems ready to balnce with K.Allen for high scores. Of course, Egor will be right there too. Should be a Go Gators' year.

I really like Stone too and think that he can play plenty of minutes at the 3 and let UF play big. If UF could start Chiozza, Allen, Stone, Hayes and Egbunu in March, I think UF could match up with anyone.

I think Hudson will be a contributor. However I am a skeptic about Hudson being a star at UF. I am sort of jaded after Macklin, Rosario, Carter etc., all good players but not what we heard they were while they were sitting out. I am hoping that Hudson and Koulechov can each be contributors. The question with both is can they play D at the level UF plays. Additionally Hudson needs to be more efficient offensively than he was at VaTech.

As for Egbunu, he was a shell of himself offensively last year. That thumb injury really affected his shot. Maybe he has come back after more than a years rehab, but maybe he is a slow healer and the knee will really slow him this year. So I would not worry about UF relying on Egbunu too much this year, though I am hoping he can be a solid rebounder and decent scorer like he was last year. If he gets back to his Soph form, then UF will be that much better.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It will be enjoyable to watch White's Gators. And good to read smart know-how posters like you, Insti. So don't be shy. Followers like me need it explained by leaders like you & Lee4Three. Looking forward to it, especially now that football is all angst. Thanks for the angst-antidote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.