Founding Member
Walker was 6-3 in the tourney. Green was 13-1

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
YES Erving Walker was very frustrating at times BUT he helped lead UF to TWO ELITE 8s and he had some great NCAA Tourney games too. He scored 10 of the final 12 Gator points to SEAL the win vs UCLA. His 3 pointer and driving layup and 1 were HUGE that game. He also hit 4 fts to seal it at the very end. He had 21 points total that game. Against BYU and Jimmer, Erving had 16 points, 6 reb, and 5 assists.

Then his shot selection cost us the game against butler to go the final 4.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ronnie Montgomery and Andrew Moten were two of the first Gator PG's that I remember as a teenager, when UF - finally (in my early lifetime) - had a good basketball team. Those two, along and Maxwell were fun to watch.

Moten was incredible at drawing charging fouls, even at mid-court.

Am I right in remembering Greg “Tiny” Williams as a fearless shooter...who couldn’t shoot?

1. Taurean Green
2. Wilbekin
3. Chiozza

Jason Williams - 20 games isn’t enough. But I saw him get called for traveling vs. F$U in Orlando because the ref couldn’t compute what he’d just seen. He jumped in the air, whipped the ball 3-4 times between his extended left and right hands before popping a blind pass to a wide open guy on the wing who drained the 3. His feet were in the air whole time, but he still got called for steps. Crazy talent.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Then his shot selection cost us the game against butler to go the final 4.
Yeah we were tied and he decided to dribble around and jack a 3 from 25 feet instead of getting to the rim and drawing a foul and/or taking a higher percentage shot. That game still pisses me off.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Can't leave Tony Miller off the list. I can hear it now. Who???
I thought Toney was the shooting guard. Mike Leatherwood. Skip Higley. Richard Glasper ave, almosgt 13pts a game
He was pg when I was a jr at UF. He was maybe 5 11 and could stand flat footed under the basket and dunk. I saw him do it.
Clifford Lett took us to NIT final. Mike Lederman. Renaldo Garcia and Sloan almost through down I think,

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah we were tied and he decided to dribble around and jack a 3 from 25 feet instead of getting to the rim and drawing a foul and/or taking a higher percentage shot. That game still pisses me off.
I'm surprised none of you here even mentioned the $3.00-4.00 dollar taco he stole(from a taco stand?) after that very season. I will say the dude ran a mean 40 yard dash.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Seriously? Roberson AND that quitter Calathes over a truly great Gator in Justin Hamilton.

Even Brett Nelson is getting slighted by including those two. Nelson beats Roberson on nearly every key career metric (assts, asst/game, steals, steals/game, 3ptrs, 3pt%).

Again, Calathes quit.

Yeah, it is a bit of a quandary how to treat players that leave early. I would count Calathes as he played two full years. i would not count Jason Williams as I said.

So after all the discussion my new top 5 is:

1. Wilbekin
2. Green
3. Moten
4. Chiozza
5. Shannon

Maybe I have some recency bias on Chiozza though his PER this year is right there with the best I could find, but PER is not calculated for Green and before in the source I consulted.

I too have a real soft spot for Jason Hamilton, but somehow it never came completely together for him at UF. Perhaps his coach was too young and did not yet have an appreciation for a steady PG who was a solid defender. I am not sure. I thought at the time Hamilton had the chance to be the type of player Wilbekin later was. Maybe it was just that Hamilton and Nelson playing together much of their careers meant neither became quite the player they might have become.

Maybe I should have Calathes on my list too. He put up some excellent numbers in two years. He was such a tall guard that his defense was never as bad as some people made it out to be.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Calathes was good but in the crunch time he always had some turnovers and missed fts or else we win some of those games and actually make it to the NCAA tourney with him. Instead he was a NIT player

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Wilbekin and Green were money. Wilbekin had great handle and his D was so damn good and he seemed to come up with the big shot when needed. Wilbekin had some insane shots. Vs Arky, that crazy one handed bank in layup with UCLA in the tourney...so good.

Green was a floor general. He knew who to get the ball to and where to direct the offense. He didnt rack up the assists because the other 04s were great passers and they moved the ball around so much. Also he was lethal in that high pick and roll. His 15 to 18 foot game was great and was a solid three shooter. I remember his dad almost falling out of his seat at Madison Square when Green hit that NBA distance three vs Cuse when they were sophomores....the 04s coming out party.

Calathes in my opinion was the best passer other than J Will. Dude could flick the ball perfectly and on time but his D and clutchness were not great.

I always wondered how Walker would have been if he was 6 feet tall. He was fearless to a fault.

I put Wilbekin at #1 due to his defensive skills, but I loved Green. That being said White Chocolate is one of my favorite basketball players ever, just didn't have the time at UF to out him at the top.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Seems to me that Teddy Dupay isn't getting much love. That guy was money.

I also saw someone mention Ryan Appleby negatively too. There are a bunch of high school star guard every year. You sign a few and try to figure out who is a PG and who is a SG. Appleby for sure was not a PG and ended up a good SG at U Wash. Dupay was sort of in the middle, ie half PG and half SG. I think that tends to knock you down this list.

I think UF fans are about to see this guard development issue again next season. UF has signed three guards for next year. One, Johnson, is clearly not a PG. The other two are Locke listed as a 6'2" "SG" and Nembhard listed as a 6'4" "PG."

Now at UF next year Okauru will likely be around and he proved to be a surprisingly good backup PG this year. Allen is likely to return and he has of late really seems to have developed his PG skills. Add to that that on their AAU teams neither Locke nor Nembhard brought the ball up the court and we see that whether and when Nembhard is a PG is up in the air and for that matter Locke at 6'2" could easily have the better handle of the two.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously? Roberson AND that quitter Calathes over a truly great Gator in Justin Hamilton.

Even Brett Nelson is getting slighted by including those two. Nelson beats Roberson on nearly every key career metric (assts, asst/game, steals, steals/game, 3ptrs, 3pt%).

Again, Calathes quit.
Since when did going pro early = quitting?

You're confusing him with either Christian Drejer or Nimrod Tishman, both of whom left mid-season

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Since when did going pro early = quitting?

You're confusing him with either Christian Drejer or Nimrod Tishman, both of whom left mid-season
I seem to recall Calathes leaving during the season to play somewhere overseas.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No Calathes played all the way to the end of his 2nd season. His last game with us was the Penn State loss in the NIT Quarterfinals

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Calathes lead the SEC in assists both years with nobody to really pass to. He was a player..........

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone has Nick Calathes confused with Christian Drejer. Drejer is the one who left in the middle of the season to play in Europe.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby was definitely one of the worst , at least when he was here. He seemed to work well with Brandon Roy after transferring back home
to Washington. For me it's Orien Greene. He was a good defender, but really struggled at just about every other aspect. I'll never forget his 5 second violation against Creighton because it was Haslem's last game when they killed us with a deep 3 at the end.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Appleby was definitely one of the worst , at least when he was here. He seemed to work well with Brandon Roy after transferring back home
to Washington. For me it's Orien Greene. He was a good defender, but really struggled at just about every other aspect. I'll never forget his 5 second violation against Creighton because it was Haslem's last game when they killed us with a deep 3 at the end.
Ah yes! The game vs Creighton was the beginning of some Gator fans screaming for Donovan's head on a platter due to our 5 years of not getting past the first weekend of the tourney. It was Sid(iot) who led that charge and never admitted he was wrong after the 2006 season.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ah yes! The game vs Creighton was the beginning of some Gator fans screaming for Donovan's head on a platter due to our 5 years of not getting past the first weekend of the tourney.

I know I can not prove this, but after the 2000 season, I thought of posting a thread on whatever boards I was usually on at the time about enjoy this as it does not always come this easily.

UF had gone to the round of 16 Donovan's first trip to the NCAAs. Then UF went to the final game in 2000 the second year, but of course it took the miracle of a Butler guy missing 2 FTs at the end of OT and then Miller's famous shot for UF to get out of the first round.

It is not easy to advance in the tourney every year. UF making the round of 8 and final 4 as often as UF has is an amazing feat. Some years you get in the tourney and some guy comes off the bench and makes 8 out of 15 3 point shots and you lose.

Last edited:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I love this discussion. The Gators have had a bunch of really good PGs. I was a towel boy when I was young and I got to sit right under the basket for all the home games when Jason Williams was here. Just pure talent it has to go to J.Will.
Scottie was born in Gainesville and played high school ball at The Rock. I'm also born and raised in Gainesville. So Scottie was living that dream that a lot of kids like me had growing up. Playing for the gators after growing up here. So this is my list
1 J. Williams
2 Scottie Wilbekin
After them you could put T. Green, Justin Hamilton, Dan Cross, Eddie Shannon (extra credit because he played pg with one eye), Nick Calathes, Anthony Roberson, Andy Moten, Brett Nelson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.