Best/Worst UF PGs

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I laughed out loud when i read brett nelson listed as one of UF's best PGs. He was an absolutely dreadful PG. Was a good shooting guard b/c he could get hot and drain serious 3's but his ball handling skills were horrific and single handedly lost us quite a few games. Only reason he would take the point was because we had very bad guard play during that early 2000s stint.

:exactly:

I wasn't going to say anything, but thank you! I'm glad someone else said it. Nelson used to piss me off.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Seems to me that Teddy Dupay isn't getting much love. That guy was money.

He was a better SG than at PG even at his size. He didn't have the vision or the defensive skills to be in the top 5.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Since when did going pro early = quitting?

You're confusing him with either Christian Drejer or Nimrod Tishman, both of whom left mid-season
You’re right. I was thinking about Drejer.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nelson was GREAT at UF minus his senior year when he totally lost his shot. He was named to the All Tourney Region team in the NCAA Tourney as a freshman. As a sophmore he was SEC POY runner up to Tayshaun Prince who only won it cause he played at UK. As a Junior he was moved to SG after Dupay left and still averaged 14 points/game. Then his senior season was a disaster but minus that year, he was fantastic at UF. Maybe you missed all the 3 pointers and flashy behind the back passes and behind the back layups and throw the ball off the inbound pass for a layup to himself. Nelson had the 8th most assists in school history at 406. He was tied for the 2nd most steals in UF history at 198. Brett Nelson also had the UF 3 point shooting record until Lee Humphrey came along.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I haven't seen Andrew Moten's name mentioned. I might have missed it, but he was one of the All-Time Gator great point guards 83-87. He averaged 11.9, 16.1, 16.9 & 16.0 ppg in his 4 years, plus 2.3, 3.5, 2.6 & 4.7 assists per game and 3.1, 4.1, 3.9 and 3.3 rebounds per game. For his career he is 3rd on the All-Time Gator list for field goals made, 5th in minutes played, 2nd in 3 pt. FG percentage at .445, 10th in minutes per game, 3rd in points scored in a career, 6th in free throws made, 8th in steals, 9th in assists, He started all 4 years and was on those teams with Vernon Maxwell & Joe Lawrence. Ronnie Montgomery, basically, backed him up until 87-88 after Moten graduated and Montgomery took over at PG for his senior season. I've been following Gator basketball since the late 60's and to me Moten was one of our very best.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For those who think Chiozza doesn't belong... this tweet by itself makes a pretty strong case. Include the fact that the talent in the SEC this year is probably the best it has been in a long time and it says a lot about Chiozza.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nelson was GREAT at UF minus his senior year when he totally lost his shot. He was named to the All Tourney Region team in the NCAA Tourney as a freshman. As a sophmore he was SEC POY runner up to Tayshaun Prince who only won it cause he played at UK. As a Junior he was moved to SG after Dupay left and still averaged 14 points/game. Then his senior season was a disaster but minus that year, he was fantastic at UF. Maybe you missed all the 3 pointers and flashy behind the back passes and behind the back layups and throw the ball off the inbound pass for a layup to himself. Nelson had the 8th most assists in school history at 406. He was tied for the 2nd most steals in UF history at 198. Brett Nelson also had the UF 3 point shooting record until Lee Humphrey came along.
He also dribbled the air out of the ball while running into the teeth of the defense and turning it over as time expired in games only 2 or 3 dozen times. His junior and senior years were bad and he was a TO machine. He regressed significantly after his sophomore year when his role expanded.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My view on Nelson is that he was a very unusual player. He came to UF with a high level of talent. He progressed as he gained experience his frosh year. Then he came back at the start of his soph year and was as completely out of control and lost as at the beginning of his frosh year. It was as if he spent the entire off season on the playground and forgot everything he learned as a frosh. They same thing happened the next two seasons.

If he had been able to build on his experience and improved play season after season like most people, he would have more than lived up to his recruiting ranking. I really do not have an explanation of why he regressed so much each off season, it was the most puzzling thing to me.

I have seen posters attribute Nelson's shooting fall off his SR year to the fight among the team what ended with Nelson having a fractured cheekbone.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
His junior and senior years were bad and he was a TO machine. He regressed significantly after his sophomore year when his role expanded.

This is what I remember and what I never understood... it is so rare for a player to regress the way he did. Even if you aren't getting great coaching you should learn and adjust just from playing at the college level.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
This is what I remember and what I never understood... it is so rare for a player to regress the way he did. Even if you aren't getting great coaching you should learn and adjust just from playing at the college level.
What I remember is that Nelson committed to UF when he was like in middle school and came in with super high expectations. He was a very good player, but didn't live up to the, to me, unrealistic expectations. By his senior year Justin Hamilton & Anthony Roberson were getting more playing time. He is the 20th leading scorer in UF history, is 2nd all time in 3-point shots made, was all-SEC his sophomore & junior years and an All-American his sophomore year. He was also named Most Improved UF player twice. His Assist to TO ratio was not very good, with 406 career assists to 301 turnovers. I wouldn't put him in my All UF top 10 point guards, but overall was a pretty good player.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Since when did going pro early = quitting?

You're confusing him with either Christian Drejer or Nimrod Tishman, both of whom left mid-season
It's all Greek to me.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Toney was the shooting guard. Mike Leatherwood. Skip Higley. Richard Glasper ave, almosgt 13pts a game
He was pg when I was a jr at UF. He was maybe 5 11 and could stand flat footed under the basket and dunk. I saw him do it.
Clifford Lett took us to NIT final. Mike Lederman. Renaldo Garcia and Sloan almost through down I think,

Tony Miller lives here in Indianapolis. I saw him last week.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Tony Miller lives here in Indianapolis. I saw him last week.
Did he become a doctor.............he was a shooter. I remember him getting 50 or almost that against a team that was called Cleveland STate at that time. I was at the game in the old alligator alley.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't seen Andrew Moten's name mentioned. I might have missed it, but he was one of the All-Time Gator great point guards 83-87. He averaged 11.9, 16.1, 16.9 & 16.0 ppg in his 4 years, plus 2.3, 3.5, 2.6 & 4.7 assists per game and 3.1, 4.1, 3.9 and 3.3 rebounds per game. For his career he is 3rd on the All-Time Gator list for field goals made, 5th in minutes played, 2nd in 3 pt. FG percentage at .445, 10th in minutes per game, 3rd in points scored in a career, 6th in free throws made, 8th in steals, 9th in assists, He started all 4 years and was on those teams with Vernon Maxwell & Joe Lawrence. Ronnie Montgomery, basically, backed him up until 87-88 after Moten graduated and Montgomery took over at PG for his senior season. I've been following Gator basketball since the late 60's and to me Moten was one of our very best.

You missed it. I mentioned Moten as the most underappreciated point guard in UF history.
He was a hell of a player back when very few people really followed Gator Basketball

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You missed it. I mentioned Moten as the most underappreciated point guard in UF history.
He was a hell of a player back when very few people really followed Gator Basketball

Yep I remember being shocked at how good this frosh PG was the first tv game of the season that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator