Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n112593 said:
To be honest, even though we're not traditional rivals, I can't imagine he'd be very well respected in Oxford if he took another SEC job, especially with the argument being that it's a step up. No fan base wants to hear that. So the home away from home idea probably isn't realistic. And I could see the money being a secondary issue. He's a husband and father, so he has to consider what's best for them. It wouldn't be a simple coup.

Remember, it was almost too easy to pull Meyer from Utah, which was great at the time. But kind of like that girl that will quickly and callously leave her current boyfriend for you, they'll just as easily bail on you when and if they get the urge.

You've made a good point on why he might consider staying. He is currently loved and adored by all Ole Miss fans, and him leaving would be considered by them an act of betrayal worse than your wife leaving you for your brother. He would become the most hated man in the state and in his hometown as soon as the announcement was made. Ole Miss fans really believe that he'll coach there the rest of his career and can't imagine him leaving unless he gets an offer from an NFL team. Several Ole Miss fans have told me that he won't coach any other college team.

Of course they don't know for sure. They just know he's from there and loves it there. Ole Miss fans are notorius for being unrealistic about the type of athletic programs they have, and most would consider coaching at UF a lateral move for Freeze. But if Freeze is OK with being the most hated man in his home state, then he'll be at UF.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I think the animosity from Ole Miss fans would be significantly worse if Freeze stayed in the West where some of those teams are bitter rivals. Ole miss has held their own against us in our infrequent recent history. Don't think a move to the Gators would generate as much hate as disappointment.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I remember when Kiffen left Tenn in such a short time. He is hated there big time. I can see Freeze being a hated man in a hurry...

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n112648 said:
I think the animosity from Ole Miss fans would be significantly worse if Freeze stayed in the West where some of those teams are bitter rivals. Ole miss has held their own against us in our infrequent recent history. Don't think a move to the Gators would generate as much hate as disappointment.

I grew up in nortwest Mississippi, and I've been around Ole Miss fans most my life. They would hate his guts for leaving them for any other college team no matter what division or conference. NFL is the acception since it's a different league and an obvious step up for his career. Only way they would be OK with him leaving for another college team is if he starts having multiple losing seasons, and I doubt that will happen.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
After all of his loyalty speeches there and saying the right things and claiming he was hoping to retire in Miss I just dont know if he leaves.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The one thing I don't know is who the fallback candidate is if Freeze passes.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
GatorJB;n112667 said:
I grew up in nortwest Mississippi, and I've been around Ole Miss fans most my life. They would hate his guts for leaving them for any other college team no matter what division or conference. NFL is the acception since it's a different league and an obvious step up for his career. Only way they would be OK with him leaving for another college team is if he starts having multiple losing seasons, and I doubt that will happen.

They're just going to have to learn their place in the pecking order.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n112674 said:
They really think they are on the level of FL, Bamma, LSU?

As far as prestige and past success, no. But having the potential to win championships and be a contender, yes. If they don't believe it, then they hate admitting it, and they certainly don't act/speak like they believe they are a lower caliber SEC team. They can be very obnoxious.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n112678 said:

Probably Mike Gundy

claybmt

Sep 15, 2014
GatorJB;n112682 said:
As far as prestige and past success, no. But having the potential to win championships and be a contender, yes. If they don't believe it, then they hate admitting it, and they certainly don't act/speak like they believe they are a lower caliber SEC team. They can be very obnoxious.

I have the dubious pleasure to know many Care Bear fans, and I assure you that they think their past is every bit as prestigious as anybody in the SEC. Only Gump fans have the potential to be more arrogant and obnoxious.

Freeze is a great coach, but it will probably cost Florida north of 5 mil to get him.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
These threads remind me why hearsay is inadmissible in court (yes I know there are exceptions).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
claybmt;n112699 said:
Freeze is a great coach, but it will probably cost Florida north of 5 mil to get him.
Who cares? They aren't going to tax all Gator fans to pay for it, I promise.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Freeze has been far less direct than this:
When the stories linking Alabama and Saban began circulating last month, almost immediately after Shula got fired following a 6-6 season, the former coach at Louisiana State said he was flattered but not interested.

He's bristled at nearly every suggestion about him leaving the Dolphins since.

"I don't know how many times I've got to respond to rumor and innuendo," Saban said. "I have no control over that. I've stated what my intentions are and they really haven't changed, so I don't know what the issue is. And I don't know why people keep asking about it. What they talk about over there is their business. But what's happening here is my business and our business, and that's what we're focused on."

Saban acknowledged this month that Alabama approached his agent about its coaching job, but he declined an invitation to talk to the Crimson Tide.

Saban agreed to a five-year contract worth at least $22.5 million with Miami on Christmas Day 2004. He'll celebrate the second anniversary of that deal Monday night, when the Dolphins -- 6-8 this season and 15-15 in their two seasons under Saban -- host the New York Jets.

It's the home finale for the season, but the players hardly expect it to be Saban's final game in Miami.

"He told us a couple weeks ago that he's proud to be a Dolphin and he's going to be sticking around," Dolphins quarterback Joey Harrington said. "So I take him at his word. I've taken him at his word ever since I came here. He's one of the reasons why I decided to come to Miami. And so, if he tells us he's going to say, I trust him. But on the other hand, there's a lot of job offers out there and he's a tremendous coach."

Saban went 48-16 in five seasons at LSU, won the 2003 BCS national championship and went 92-42-1 as a college head coach. He turned down several overtures from the NFL before coming to Miami.

"I don't control what people say," Saban said. "I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach here."

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
claybmt;n112699 said:

Wtf? We should be paying north of $5 million a year for coach. This is Florida. Not Baylor! Although Baylor pays $5 million year to Briles. Can we even competitively pay our coaches?!

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJ;112752 said:
Wtf? We should be paying north of $5 million a year for coach. This is Florida. Not Baylor! Although Baylor pays $5 million year to Briles. Can we even competitively pay our coaches?!
We can and should. People need to realize that if $5-7M can secure us a truly elite coach, that money will be pumped back into the program x10

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n112678 said:

You think that it's that certain that Freeze is really the #1?

I'm sure that if he is the #1, Foley has someone as the #2, but we still have time to see how this plays out.

BTW, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, a real coincidence is that we play Ole Miss at home next year. We wouldn't play them again (regular season) til seven years later.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
SavannahGator;112754 said:
You think that it's that certain that Freeze is really the #1? I'm sure that if he is the #1, Foley has someone as the #2, but we still have time to see how this plays out. BTW, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, a real coincidence is that we play Ole Miss at home next year. We wouldn't play them again (regular season) til seven years later.
What does a previously decided schedule have to do with our potential coaching candidates? :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.