***BREAKING*** SOURCE: Top target is Hugh Freeze Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
gatormandan;n116089 said:
You know 78 you are bringing up alot of good arguments about Freeze. I like him and I think he is a decent coach but not sure he is a slam dunk hire. I will get behind him if he is hired but I really think we can do better and there is no excuse not to.

Dan that is exactly my point. It feels we are settling for Freeze because he is better than Muschamp. It's not that he isn't a good coach, but this is Florida should we be settling for good?

Like you, if he is hired I will support him like any other Gator coach, until it is time for him to go. If he is hired, I hope and will be rooting for him to prove that I'm wrong about what I've seen and proove it was just the environment and not him.

T REX

gatormandan;n116089 said:
You know 78 you are bringing up alot of good arguments about Freeze. I like him and I think he is a decent coach but not sure he is a slam dunk hire. I will get behind him if he is hired but I really think we can do better and there is no excuse not to.

Outside of Harbaugh or Kelly who would be a slam dunk? Carroll? Malzahn? Stoops?

Not sure we have more than 1-5% of getting any of those guys?

divits

A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
After listening to Freeze in a couple of videos I'm not so sure how I feel about him now. Sounds a little too "Southern Baptist Preacherish". Maybe that works for some kids though.

GatorJB

Lifetime Member
TheDouglas78;n116054 said:
Guys that have won 8 or 9 games at Ole Miss (last 30 years):
Houston Nutt (2)
David Cutcliffe (2)
Tommy Tuberville
Billy Brewer (4)

So lets not pretend that winning 8 or 9 games is some kind of miracle only Freeze could do. As far as recruits lets also not pretend like Ole Miss has never gotten recruits, this hero worship of a guy who hasn't even broken even in the SEC. I guess we all missed when Eli Manning, Deuce McAllister, and others were there because Ole Miss never got good recruits before Freeze, and has never won more than 7 games before Freeze?

2012 (7-6 SEC 3-5):
Wins: Central Arkansas, Texas El-Paso, Tulane, Auburn, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Pittsburgh
Loses: Texas, Alabama, TAM, Georgia (12-2), Vanderbilt , LSU

2013 (8-5 SEC: 3-5):
Wins: Vanderbilt, SE Missouri State, Texas, LSU, Idaho, Arkansas, Troy, Georgia Tech
Loses: Alabama, Auburn, TAM, Missouri, Mississippi State

2014 (8-3 SEC 4-3)
Wins: Boise State, Vanderbilt, Louisana, Memphis, Alabama, TAM, Tennesse, Presbyterian,
Loses: LSU, Auburn, Arkansas

For someone who rails on Strong's record, how is Freeze that much a step up? And having watch a number of their games the last few years, there are a lot of parallels between how he calls games and the mistakes we have seen the last 5 years and with the Zook years.

You should have shown what their record was before Freeze took over. They were 4-8 in 2010 and 2-10 in 2011. When Houston Nutt took over he had Orgeron's recruits, which is why he had success right away, but when Nutt was frired, he left the team with no talent whatsoever. What Freeze has done there is impressive. He took a team that could only win 2 games and in 3 years turned them into a ranked team that at one point people thought was a national title contender. If Bo Wallace wasn't an idiot, they still could be. But just the fact that they have consistently made and won a bowl game every year under him is impressive.

It is very difficult to win consistently at Ole Miss, and impossible to build a dynasty there, let alone in 3 years. It is also difficult to get great recruiting classes there consistently. Sure it's possible to get a top 15 class every few years, but it's not Florida where you are expected to get a top 10 class every year.

Another interesting tidbit is that 3 of the 4 coaches you mentioned were fired from Ole Miss. Brewer was fired for recruiting violations, Tuberville went to Auburn, and both Cuttcliffe and Nutt were fired. Nutt had success at Arkansas but his problem was he couldn't recruit. Cutcliffe got Eli thanks to his dad's legacy there and the fact that he coached Peyton, but he couldn't recruit there well enough to win after Eli left. Cutcliffe is a great coach as seen by what he has done at Duke, but he couldn't win 5 games at Ole Miss without a Manning at QB.

Comparing Ole Miss to Florida is comparing Apples to Oranges. Consistently going to a bowl game at Ole Miss is like consistently going to Atlanta at UF. But here's the last point I want to make: if Ole Miss were in the East do you think they would be in Atlanta? I certainly do, and I believe they would have contended to win the East last year.

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
I have said all along there are no clear cut homerun hires. There were none last year.

Freeze is the best available option IMO and he has the right stuff (good offense and aggressive, great defense, great recruiter, solid morals).

t-gator

too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Freeze ain't leaving ole miss. Foley is bound and determined to bring a defensive guy in here. It is what it is I guess it can't be much worse than what we have so I'll be thankful

T REX

t-gator;n116184 said:
Freeze ain't leaving ole miss. Foley is bound and determined to bring a defensive guy in here. It is what it is I guess it can't be much worse than what we have so I'll be thankful

Bound and determined says who?

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
divits;n116094 said:
After listening to Freeze in a couple of videos I'm not so sure how I feel about him now. Sounds a little too "Southern Baptist Preacherish". Maybe that works for some kids though.

Bobby Bowden used that very effectively. Jumbo must promise to keep them out of
prison.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
GatorJB;n116168 said:
You should have shown what their record was before Freeze took over. They were 4-8 in 2010 and 2-10 in 2011. When Houston Nutt took over he had Orgeron's recruits, which is why he had success right away, but when Nutt was frired, he left the team with no talent whatsoever. What Freeze has done there is impressive. He took a team that could only win 2 games and in 3 years turned them into a ranked team that at one point people thought was a national title contender. If Bo Wallace wasn't an idiot, they still could be. But just the fact that they have consistently made and won a bowl game every year under him is impressive.

So it's Bo Wallace's fault not the coaches fault for sticking with a quarterback his has a history, but with Muschamp it is the other way around. Double standard much? Nutt didn't recruit well, but he wasn't a great recruiter at Arkansas either. We assume there was no talent, much like the extreme apologists for Muschamp would spout how their was no talent for Muschamps arrive. Again not an excuse. If he is such a great recruiter, then you can't use that excuse in year 3.

GatorJB;n116168 said:
It is very difficult to win consistently at Ole Miss, and impossible to build a dynasty there, let alone in 3 years. It is also difficult to get great recruiting classes there consistently. Sure it's possible to get a top 15 class every few years, but it's not Florida where you are expected to get a top 10 class every year.

Eli was a legacy, but was Duece McAllister, Dexter McCluster, Michael Oher, Mike Wallace? I guess the fact there are 24 active NFL players from Ole Miss just shows (10 less than Florida), so talent isn't an issue. As far as building a dynasty, no one is talking about building a dynasty at Ole Miss... so don't know where you are going with that one.

GatorJB;n116168 said:
Another interesting tidbit is that 3 of the 4 coaches you mentioned were fired from Ole Miss. Brewer was fired for recruiting violations, Tuberville went to Auburn, and both Cuttcliffe and Nutt were fired. Nutt had success at Arkansas but his problem was he couldn't recruit. Cutcliffe got Eli thanks to his dad's legacy there and the fact that he coached Peyton, but he couldn't recruit there well enough to win after Eli left. Cutcliffe is a great coach as seen by what he has done at Duke, but he couldn't win 5 games at Ole Miss without a Manning at QB.

Cutcliffe couldn't win without Manning who was there from 2000-2003, then why was he 8-4 in 1999? Maybe Manning had 5 years of eligiblity? Cutcliffe was only there one year after he left, so who knows what he could have done. Oregon was a big name and Mississippi was looking for a change going 4-7 after a 10-2 year. Nutt **** the bed his last two years, but he was about as consistent as he was in Arkansas. He never was a good recruiter himself without his Arkansas ties. Tuberville was a good coach, but would he be a coach for Florida. Might be the best name on the list we are discussing, but like Cutcliffe he wasn't good enough for Florida, so why is Freeze?

GatorJB;n116168 said:
Comparing Ole Miss to Florida is comparing Apples to Oranges. Consistently going to a bowl game at Ole Miss is like consistently going to Atlanta at UF. But here's the last point I want to make: if Ole Miss were in the East do you think they would be in Atlanta? I certainly do, and I believe they would have contended to win the East last year.
Consistently getting 6 wins gets you to a bowl game, with their schedule just like ours they should be in one every year. I'm sorry if Vanderbilt and 3 "Who are they" schools don't give them enough leyway to get to a bowl game. That's more of a indications of the poor job their AD is doing in hiring coaches, not of a talent issue. They might have gone to Atlanta, they might not have. They did take care of Tennesse and Vanderbilt, but who didn't? Are they better than Georgia or Missouri, we'll have a better picture when Missouri plays Arkansas. So right now it's just opinion at this point.

t-gator

too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
It's his track record. He hired zook and muschamp. By eliminating some of the names that's my conclusion at the moment

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n116181 said:
I have said all along there are no clear cut homerun hires. There were none last year.

Freeze is the best available option IMO and he has the right stuff (good offense and aggressive, great defense, great recruiter, solid morals).

One demisional offense (due to either his recruiting or scheme), and very good defense. Has had two good recruiting classes (so did Zook, sooo), and has been good with the public morals (but so was Muschamp).

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
t-gator;n116184 said:
Freeze ain't leaving ole miss.
I'm becoming more and more sure that he is.

Foley is bound and determined to bring a defensive guy in here.
You must have started your holiday drinking early. Every single source mentioned, PLUS what came out of Foley's mouth at the press conference, is that offense matters this time around.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Law98gator;n115795 said:
There are really no parallels. One guy had a terrible offense by design and screamed THIS IS WHO WE ARE.
Philosophically how is that different than bama or Georgia? All are run first playaction pass teams. The difference is the trigger man. The others had a QB that took care of the ball. They could get it to WRs and TEs and convert 3rd downs when defenses loaded the box to stop the run. If you want to say the system makes it tougher to recruit offensive playmakers, I won't argue that point. But the system itself is fine for winning championships with a playmaker at QB and a decent offensive line.

ATXGator

Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
oxrageous;n116202 said:
I'm becoming more and more sure that he is.

You must have started your holiday drinking early. Every single source mentioned, PLUS what came out of Foley's mouth at the press conference, is that offense matters this time around.

We all know you think Freeze is the guy from your sources, but I haven't really heard your thoughts on Freeze. Are you excited for him? Think he is a good hire, etc..? Stoops was your top choice...right?

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
Coach9;n116203 said:
Philosophically how is that different than bama or Georgia? All are run first playaction pass teams. The difference is the trigger man. The others had a QB that took care of the ball. They could get it to WRs and TEs and convert 3rd downs when defenses loaded the box to stop the run. If you want to say the system makes it tougher to recruit offensive playmakers, I won't argue that point. But the system itself is fine for winning championships with a playmaker at QB and a decent offensive line.
Coach, what you don't seem to understand is that even if we had a "playmaker" at QB, Muschamp wouldn't let him make plays. We'd be a conservative crap offense even if we had freaking Aaron Rodgers under center.

Running teams like Alabama and Auburn still let their QB pass the football. We do not.

ATXGator

Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
oxrageous;n116205 said:
Coach, what you don't seem to understand is that even if we had a "playmaker" at QB, Muschamp wouldn't let him make plays. We'd be a conservative crap offense even if we had freaking Aaron Rodgers under center.

Running teams like Alabama and Auburn still let their QB pass the football. We do not.

This was really clear during the South Carolina game. There was no reason to not let Treon throw the ball... make some plays and win by 21, but he just kept running... I don't get it. I hoped he would change with a better QB... this was proof that he won't change and it's why he had to go.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
oxrageous;n116205 said:

We don't have the evidence to support that, because of what we have had a quarterback the last 4 years.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
ATXGator;n116206 said:
This was really clear during the South Carolina game. There was no reason to not let Treon throw the ball... make some plays and win by 21, but he just kept running... I don't get it. I hoped he would change with a better QB... this was proof that he won't change and it's why he had to go.

At 5 for 11 for 60 yards, would you trust someone to make a play? What has Treon proven currently other than he is better than Driskel at running to offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.