Burrito Bros. Closing

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I detect a lot of hippie hate in you 2222. Maybe, just maybe, the hippies got lazy, sold BBs before they were forced to move, and the new 'stick up the butt' ownership went all corporate, effectively ruining BBs. :dunno:
BTW: Hippies don't do corporate. :bandit:
:bart:

Yeah, not a fan of hippies. They need to take a bath and get a job. LOL

No, it was the same guy that built the new restaurant. I talked to him every now and then. It's hard to go into a new building and make it look like it should be condemned. What made Burrito Bros so good was the never changing consistent quality of the food, the laid back atmosphere, the counter service and the speed with which the food came out.

All of that changed when they moved into the new place. The hippie went corporate when he should have just been true to himself.

"BTW: Hippies don't do corporate." - I'm willing to bet that's why he lost all the grungy kids that made the food so tasty. The new preppy college kids didn't care.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, not a fan of hippies. They need to take a bath and get a job. LOL

No, it was the same guy that built the new restaurant. I talked to him every now and then. It's hard to go into a new building and make it look like it should be condemned. What made Burrito Bros so good was the never changing consistent quality of the food, the laid back atmosphere, the counter service and the speed with which the food came out.

All of that changed when they moved into the new place. The hippie went corporate when he should have just been true to himself.
Stupid hippie! :lol:
Too bad.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I used to eat the lunch buffet at Tony and Pats all the time. Great garlic knots.

Pizza Inn was good back in the day as well.

Only ate Steamers once or twice. Once you get a Maid-Rite in the Midwest it spoils you for all the other places.

The one I truly miss is CJ's. The wings there were phenomenal.
I worked at the original CJ's. What a blast!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to mention Steamers and CJ's wings.

In the early 90's, Farrah's on the Avenue had phenomenal wings... a group of us would park there on Wednesday night when it was $4.95 for a big pitcher of beer and 10 wings.
Steamers (Twisted Bird) and Bageland were two of my regular stops when I lived in the ghetto

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Teriaki chicken from Chinee Takeoutee, one of my faves.

And that little Bagel Joint right on U Ave. I can't remember the name. Door opened to the back alley. Stupendous.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Really? I've eaten there once and never had the desire to go back. Delicious it was not.
Carnitas burrito with white rice, peppers and onions, pico, hot salsa, cheese, and sour cream.

images

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Carnitas burrito with white rice
Carnitas, good choice, but white rice? Check yo privilege.

I thought an avangarde like yo self would at least understand you MUST have brown rice, black beans, and some jalapenos.

Turn up the heat, white boy.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Carnitas, good choice, but white rice? Check yo privilege.

I thought an avangarde like yo self would at least understand you MUST have brown rice, black beans, and some jalapenos.

Turn up the heat, white boy.
Honestly not a big fan of black or pinto beans, burrito tastes better with the fajita toppings. And I already said I have them put the hottest salsa on there. Jalapenos disrupt the flavor too much, too. This is from years of tinkering, I've built the perfect burrito.

Although I'm really going to miss my primo beef burritos from BBTC. :cry2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know, I don't know when the black bean thing kicked in for me. It was probably after eating at many real Mex joints in the southwest. I still like cheezy fajita-ish Amermexican, but I like the real thing, too.

I actually like black beans better than most meat, oddly. I remember making fun of Coach talking about black bean burgers, but they are my favorite these days.

You need the jalapenos, man. Or at least some hot sauce. Will put hair on your sack.

Also, if you are ever in a real mex joint, look for machaca. Makes a mean and excellent burro. It's a spicy dried beef. Trust me on this one.

When I'm in the mood for Chipotle, which is basically never, I go to a place called Hothead Burritos. Very similar but with many more choices and about 10 different hot sauces.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Carnitas burrito with white rice, peppers and onions, pico, hot salsa, cheese, and sour cream.

images

I love the place, too, but the rice doesn't love me the following morning. :-(

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
An old friend who I haven't seen in years texted me today to tell me he was in Gainesville with his wife and they were in line that went around the block for Burrito Bros. I must admit that I was a little jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator