Del Rio out with Shoulder Injury - Appleby to start against USC

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
It has become quite obvious to me that this coach has a hard time making decisions. He had problems deciding on starting QB last year. This year he cannot decide on a workhorse RB. "Thought about" benching an ineffective QB vs. Arkansas but did not. Every time a player gets into trouble and asked if the player is still on the team. Mac responds with "it's his decision." So now, he uses plays the injury card to make LDR sit down. I have lost a lot of respect for Coach Mac if for no other reason than the wishy washy way he does things.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe most of you think he's really hurt. Conversation probably went something like this:

Mac: Luke, you're not playing this week.
LDR: I'm not?
Mac: No, you've got a shoulder injury.
LDR: I do?
Mac: Yup, and it could be serious, depending on how the backups play.
LDR: Crap.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to see one the freshman, preferably Trask so we can put his competence to the test once and for all and not have to deal with the "there's still no clear leader between Franks and Trask" nonsense in the offseason. That said, the goal is to win the East and while we are still in a position to do that I guess you go with Apples if you truly believe he gives you the best shot. So, send Callaway and Cleveland deep consistently and dial up the long ball and see if we score some points. If he's throwing pics or otherwise holding the O back (as opposed to the coaches a la bucktoothsee), then bring in one of the youngsters and let's prepare the offense to make a run next year.

Isn't Cleveland hurt...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Saying that any of this is on the players or LDR for being too selfish to tell the staff he's hurt or whatever is nonsense. Any of these kids that's tough and wants to play will grit through pain and misery bc that's what has been engrained in them from the beginning. It's not the players job to self report his issues, and frankly if we had players pulling themselves out when they were hurting all y'all would be melting down about what giant vaginas we have on the team. The players are supposed to give everything they have, painful or not. It's the coaches job to notice when a guy is hurt or struggling and it's the coaches job to make the decision.

Bashing LDR is just wrong. By all accounts he's a good kid, hard worker and has given us everything he has. Limited or not he's done what he was supposed to. This issue is a staff issue, not a player one.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Trask or Franks... I don't care... just not AA. I don't dislike AA I just don't see value in having him in there vs. one of the other guys.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I would like to see one the freshman, preferably Trask so we can put his competence to the test once and for all and not have to deal with the "there's still no clear leader between Franks and Trask" nonsense in the offseason. That said, the goal is to win the East and while we are still in a position to do that I guess you go with Apples if you truly believe he gives you the best shot. So, send Callaway and Cleveland deep consistently and dial up the long ball and see if we score some points. If he's throwing pics or otherwise holding the O back (as opposed to the coaches a la bucktoothsee), then bring in one of the youngsters and let's prepare the offense to make a run next year.

I agree Lighthouse. Start Appleby. His pluses are strong arm, height to see the field, big body and has played in front of large boisterous crowds. Weaknesses include inconsistent touch/accuracy and lead-footed quickness.

If he performs well, great. If he pulls an LDR and stinks up the joint, pull him for one of the frosh. The burning of a red-shirt this late in a season is a non-issue if a QB is recruited every year.

GatorintheKnox

Masshole
Sep 20, 2015
Thanks Debbie :(
6467adf88e6807f51a7a314da7a9027c.jpg

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Someone said it during the game in the box, his arm was hanging dead coming off the field at halftime. I can't remember who said it, though.
Yeah I mean you can see it if you rewatch it. Sucks for him because he's a good kid but it's wht we need.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Saying that any of this is on the players or LDR for being too selfish to tell the staff he's hurt or whatever is nonsense. Any of these kids that's tough and wants to play will grit through pain and misery bc that's what has been engrained in them from the beginning. It's not the players job to self report his issues, and frankly if we had players pulling themselves out when they were hurting all y'all would be melting down about what giant vaginas we have on the team. The players are supposed to give everything they have, painful or not. It's the coaches job to notice when a guy is hurt or struggling and it's the coaches job to make the decision.

Bashing LDR is just wrong. By all accounts he's a good kid, hard worker and has given us everything he has. Limited or not he's done what he was supposed to. This issue is a staff issue, not a player one.

Basically he lied to our coaches. He knew he was hurt and hurt enough that he could not give 100%. He's taught to do that? BS. He's a piece of garbage for not letting the next guy try and win the game for his TEAM. It's a team game not an LDR game. LDR is a sack of **** right now. There's a reason he's on his third team. I hope he ends up on his fourth.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Basically he lied to our coaches. He knew he was hurt and hurt enough that he could not give 100%. He's taught to do that? BS. He's a piece of garbage for not letting the next guy try and win the game for his TEAM. It's a team game not an LDR game. LDR is a sack of **** right now. There's a reason he's on his third team. I hope he ends up on his fourth.
:rolleyes3:

Crawl back under your bridge.

Sep 29, 2015
I can't believe most of you think he's really hurt. Conversation probably went something like this:

Mac: Luke, you're not playing this week.
LDR: I'm not?
Mac: No, you've got a shoulder injury.
LDR: I do?
Mac: Yup, and it could be serious, depending on how the backups play.
LDR: Crap.

You know its fake injury because Mac called it a shoulder injury as opposed to his typical folksy "chicken wing" euphemism.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
No argument there. I had been hoping the last two days we'd see a change, but I'm not on the freshman bandwagon.
It's a tough call. They both looked mediocre moving the ball in the spring game. Who knows though. I actually liked what I saw from Appleby but the play calling got Uber conservative as well.

If we come out coaching like we don't believe in who's behind center we are screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator