Dreaded vote of confidence by Stricklin - Could this be Mac’s final game?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I must be one of the only ones here who's not enamored with Kelly.

Recruiting? Defense? An offense with 3 plays and 75 formations isn't something that screams please come to Gainesville for me. Still would rather have Frost, Norvell, or Fuente

I am not a Kelly guy either, but I understand how it turns people on, especially those who care only about offense. I too do not think Kelly is an overall big picture guy and it showed when he tried the NFL, just like Spurrier. I want a guy who understands how all phases work together, cares about discipline, fundamentals, and attention to detail. Kelly is not that type, but anyone other than Butters is okay with me

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With how quickly this seems to be moving I wouldn't be surprised if Stricklin has been contacting potential coaches behind the scenes for a while and has it narrowed down.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I'm not big on Kelly either.

While he would be a clear improvement offensively over Mac, I'd doubt he'd be here for more than 3 years. I think he wants to go back to the NFL and would be using the benefits of UF to himself more appealing to NFL owners.

But I'd take his 3 years of salesmanship over the disaster of the last 3.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My God would be lucky to land Kelly. I'd drive to the airport in my Tercel and give him a ride to the hotel.

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
Where there’s a smoke there’s fire.

This cannot all be BS. Even if it is...Mac is done at UF. He cannot survive all this. It seems evident that he has lost support and so far NOBODY from UF has denied anything. You would think Stricklin would at least “tweet” something that would calm this down a bit.

He is just not the right fit culturally. I think Mac has realized it and wants out. Folks. We are playing Georiga this weekend, and this fool creates this drama! Who does that? Proof that he is not a fit a Florida.

I really hoped he would work out so we wouldn’t go through the coaching carousel, but this is a square peg, round hole thing now.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don’t like Kelly. He’s a known cheater and comes off as a jerk to me.

If Mac is to go, I’d rather see a short list that starts with Frost.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not big on Kelly either.

While he would be a clear improvement offensively over Mac, I'd doubt he'd be here for more than 3 years. I think he wants to go back to the NFL and would be using the benefits of UF to himself more appealing to NFL owners.

But I'd take his 3 years of salesmanship over the disaster of the last 3.

He will never have another nfl opportunity. Ever.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My God would be lucky to land Kelly. I'd drive to the airport in my Tercel and give him a ride to the hotel.
Borrow the keys to the miata. Nothing but the finest.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I don’t like Kelly. He’s a known cheater and comes off as a jerk to me.

If Mac is to go, I’d rather see a short list that starts with Frost.

According to the reports, the only reason Kelly recruited as well as he did at Oregon is because he cheated to get them. He literally paid out of his own pocket to get them. Whoever hires this dirty scum, the NCAA will be watching like a hawk. No thanks, UF has enough problems at it is.

gat0rjay

Sep 7, 2014
All I see in that quote is a complete lack of support for McElwain, and a near insinuation that says he's getting canned soon. They probably just plan to pay the full contracted buyout (and/or plan to try to not pay due to some legalese clause) - either way, no reason to discuss the fact he's fired with him before he's fired...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What I found most laughable was people on that thread said "we have a great coach" omfg

Politicians are very good at putting lipstick on a pig while shopping said pig for a sheep. Esp when it's their pig.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

Why would Strickland say anything other than this before the game lol

This comes off to me as the dreaded "vote of confidence" statement that always happens right before a coach gets fired. It has to be said because of all the leaks. Someone always gets fired in the immediate future once it reaches this point. This statement allows them to say "we have already stated our position on this matter", and is nothing more than an exercise to keep the press away until the AD is ready to make an official announcement.

Though... all of what I just wrote is standard protocol under normal circumstances. I think it has been proven that nothing is standard or normal when it comes to football at UF. So, who knows wtf is going to happen...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This comes off to me as the dreaded "vote of confidence" statement that always happens right before a coach gets fired. It has to be said because of all the leaks. Someone always gets fired in the immediate future once it reaches this point. This statement allows them to say "we have already stated our position on this matter", and is nothing more than an exercise to keep the press away until the AD is ready to make an official announcement.

Though... all of what I just wrote is standard protocol under normal circumstances. I think it has been proven that nothing is standard or normal when it comes to football at UF. So, who knows wtf is going to happen...

And if you actually look at the verbiage – he never says that they haven’t discussed FIRING him. They said they have not discussed anything with either him or his agent about a buyout.

They also didn’t say that he is the coach of the team and will be for the rest of the year. They just said let’s focus on the Georgia game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.