Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
But players never improve!
Some players do. Driskel hasn't in his first 3 1/2 years.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he improves and think that he will. Having Roper coaching him is better than what we've had so a bit of an upgrade already.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have my doubts that he will ever be the great QB he was touted to be. However, a better WR corps, OL, and offensive scheme means he should improve. We will see when we roll into Tuscaloosa.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
Driskel is 11 - 3 as a starter.
He is 5-3 only in his last 8 where he played any amount of time. That includes almost losing to the Rajun Cajuns when he was in. We won by defense in those games not him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
Driskel is 11 - 3 as a starter.
Driskel watched Mike Gillislee and Caleb Sturgis win football games. I guess we can thank him for touching the ball as little as possible since he has more turnovers than TDs in his career.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I listened to an NFL Scout, this morning, talking about the QB's that could be in the next NFL Draft and guess who he and many other scouts think is the 2nd best, after Winston? Yep, Driskel. He said that Driskel is as close to John Elway as he has seen and that after watching him in Spring practices and the way Roper is coaching him, he really expects Driskel to have such a good year that it will put him in the first round of the 2015 Draft. He went on to say that he has followed Jeff since he arrived at Florida and that Jeff has lacked two crucial things, in the development of a QB - stability in coaching staff and quality coaching. Most of us have said the same thing. It was reassuring to hear a qualified Scout say those things. I believe Jeff would smoke Elway in the 40, though. If Jeff has a really good year, it would stink to see him leave early. Couldn't blame him, though - can't turn down 1st round money.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n9663 said:
I listened to an NFL Scout, this morning, talking about the QB's that could be in the next NFL Draft and guess who he and many other scouts think is the 2nd best, after Winston? Yep, Driskel. He said that Driskel is as close to John Elway as he has seen and that after watching him in Spring practices.

I will root for my teams's QB but :shake:. They said stuff like that about the VT guy a few years ago and he did go in the 4th round I think due to TE potential mostly if he washes out as a QB. Driskel has shown nothing as a QB so far to justify any draft pick as a QB. Even re-watching that O&B game he never made a tough throw in that game and looked a little lost still when his 1st option was covered. Don't get me wrong I want him to do well to help us win but I am jut saying he hasn't shown any good feel for the position at all so far.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator said:
I listened to an NFL Scout, this morning, talking about the QB's that could be in the next NFL Draft and guess who he and many other scouts think is the 2nd best, after Winston? Yep, Driskel. He said that Driskel is as close to John Elway as he has seen and that after watching him in Spring practices and the way Roper is coaching him, he really expects Driskel to have such a good year that it will put him in the first round of the 2015 Draft. He went on to say that he has followed Jeff since he arrived at Florida and that Jeff has lacked two crucial things, in the development of a QB - stability in coaching staff and quality coaching. Most of us have said the same thing. It was reassuring to hear a qualified Scout say those things. I believe Jeff would smoke Elway in the 40, though. If Jeff has a really good year, it would stink to see him leave early. Couldn't blame him, though - can't turn down 1st round money.
Though the quality of the staff has certainly been an issue. He shouldn't have that excuse anymore. Scouts like him due to his natural gifts, and his limited game tape to go by. He really hasn't even put in an NFL season worth of Game Tape as a starter. There is a lot of upside, but JaMarcus Russell had a bunch of upside going into the NFL. It's put up or shut up time. Driskel has to prove he is more than athletic potential.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For a guy that was forced to take 6 months off and then learn a completely new and different offense in just under 3 weeks, I thought Driskel did well in the spring. People don't have high expectations for Driskel, which is understandable, but I don't think it's necessary either. Driskel doesn't have to be a 1st round quality QB for this offense to be good and for UF to win 10+ games or better. It will be sufficient enough for him to just be a good player, not a great player, and I think he has what it takes to be a good player. Driskel is also the most talented QB that Roper has coached since Eli Manning. I think he'll be able to coach Driskel up to where he will be good enough to run an effective offense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n9683 said:
Driskel is also the most talented QB that Roper has coached since Eli Manning. I think he'll be able to coach Driskel up to where he will be good enough to run an effective offense.

Physically talented or are you including understanding of the position ? No one argues with his physical attributes.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Has Driskel ever put the game on his shoulders and successfully carried the load? Ever? Serious question. I'm so jaded I probably missed it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
jdh5484;n9695 said:
Has Driskel ever put the game on his shoulders and successfully carried the load? Ever? Serious question. I'm so jaded I probably missed it.

I can't remember him carrying us in a game we needed to match scores due to the other team's offense. In the Miami game he did move the ball and then would turn it over at just the time we couldn't afford it.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
I believe Driskel will show improvement this year. Hopefully a lot of improvement.
If he doesn't we're 4-8 again, and Duncechamp will get an extension.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's all :blahblah: until you lead us through the SEC WARS and clutch in a championship venue... :jerkit: talks cheap, guys seen a bunch of film and plenty of field time. It's time for the coming out party.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
jdh5484;n9695 said:
He carried us against vandy with his legs. And against Tennessee he made some real nice throws. These games were in 2012

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I would say Tenn 2012 was his best game as a Gator. He was 14/20 for 219 yards, 2 TDs and no interceptions. I remember there was actually talk of him being the best QB in the SEC following that game. After that we relied mostly on defense and running the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator