Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator said:
ntcrze;n10397 said:
I think Driskel sucks and UF will be much better of when he is sent to the bench for good. The big problem is getting time to develop a new quarterback in a real game. Can anyone remember the last time UF dominated someone enough that the reserves were sent in? UF starts off the season with three cupcakes, but I wonder if UF will be strong enough to have the games in hand by halftime or soon after to get the backups in. It will be difficult for this staff to give someone else a chance at quarterback if they haven't had any playing time in a real game. If Uf doesn't dominate the cupcakes, will the coaches be brave enough to throw an untested quarterback into the fire when Driskel "driskels" (a verb describing bonehead plays) against a good team like Alabama? I know we won't know how god the team is until Sept. 20, but if UF doesn't hang at least a half a hundred on Idaho and have the game in hand by halftime, it's going to be a very long season of misery.

That has been one of the problems with Champs coaching! The ground and pound could never run up the score to allow the 2nd string quarterback to get game time experience, in fact if it wasn't for injuries almost none of the backups got playing time. Then they turn around and say there is a big drop off from the starters...
Ground and pound could never run up the score? Jeebus, it could never SCORE... against ANYONE. We nearly lost to Lafayette. We had to come from behind from a 15 point deficit to freakin Furman. We lost to Vandy. And every team we've ever played from gorgya. We didn't score a single damn TD against a Dwag team that gave up 50 to Bama and 30 to everyone else. Chimp/Dooley/Goof ball sucks balls and always has (unless you happen to have Herschel Walker in the backfield).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator said:
-THE DUDE-;n8895 said:
and when exactly do you think he's going to show he can move the team? In practice against the 2nd string defense? Not to mention that he's already well behind the learning curve to Grier who was here all spring. But no thanks on another frosh starting games against SEC defenses. That's a recipe for disaster.

Harris will become the 2nd string QB and should see at 20% of the snaps against the 1st string defense. Also he will have the 3 warm up games before bama under his belt to get real game experience. I didn't say start him, I said if Driskel locks on to his receiver, starts throwing interceptions then give Harris the ball, If JD is still making freshman mental mistakes this year it's time to give the playing time to the starter for next year.
Harris hasn't even seen the playbook yet and hasn't put on a no contact jersey even once.

If you think anyone but Morningwood will be the second string QB this year, you haven't been paying attention. Mushcramp plays upperclassmen first and never plays freshmen even if everyone in the stadium knows the kids is the best option (see Taylor and Lane). If Morningwood goes down, I won't be surprised to see a defensive guy or a walkon taking snaps.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n10457 said:
Driskel definitely has a lot to prove. And I agree that if we don't hang 50 on Idaho, then we are going to continue to struggle. Unless for some reason we see marked improvements between games one and three.

I think Idaho could still be low scoring, it will be the second game against Eastern Michigan that we should see that improvment. First game in a new offense there could be some bumps, but by the second game we should be hanging half a hundred on the team.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator said:
-THE DUDE-;n8895 said:
and when exactly do you think he's going to show he can move the team? In practice against the 2nd string defense? Not to mention that he's already well behind the learning curve to Grier who was here all spring. But no thanks on another frosh starting games against SEC defenses. That's a recipe for disaster.

Harris will become the 2nd string QB and should see at 20% of the snaps against the 1st string defense. Also he will have the 3 warm up games before bama under his belt to get real game experience. I didn't say start him, I said if Driskel locks on to his receiver, starts throwing interceptions then give Harris the ball, If JD is still making freshman mental mistakes this year it's time to give the playing time to the starter for next year.
Law, is that why VH III sat on the bench last year? You think the DB's and DL we signed this year will sit on the bench? You're right, Muschamp refuses to play under classmen. O_O

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar said:
With Muschamp's glare-stare taking a bckseat and Roper's style maybe we'll have a
season of happy physiology. ??:stars:
Rog never fails to deliver.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
GatorJ;n10457 said:
Driskel definitely has a lot to prove. And I agree that if we don't hang 50 on Idaho, then we are going to continue to struggle. Unless for some reason we see marked improvements between games one and three.

I think Idaho could still be low scoring, it will be the second game against Eastern Michigan that we should see that improvment. First game in a new offense there could be some bumps, but by the second game we should be hanging half a hundred on the team.
I think we'll see 100-120 points between the two games. The talent difference and Roper's style of hurry up offense will destroy both those team's defenses. Muschamp won't dare try to hold Roper back because he knows the worse way to start the season is show ANY signs of "more of the same old thing".

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We'll probably be lucky to see 36 points. We're starting so much over anew.?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
GatorJ;n10457 said:

I hope that is the case, it just seems that even under a few years with Spurrier the offense didn't seem to catch hold until the second game. In '97, it was around 20-30 in the first game, and 86 in the second game. Once you get that first game action out of the way the offense takes hold.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
GatorJ;n10457 said:

Gimmee a break Doug78! Equating SOS's offenses to anything Muscramp has put out there is blasphemy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
GatorJ;n10457 said:

No, I'm equating historical output. Even our best offenses stuggled in some of the opening day games. Just to turn around and have the knicks worked out by the second game. I'm saying if we don't see a marked improvment by the second game a directionaly Michigan school, then we should really start to worry.

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n8970 said:
Yeah, you are probably right, although Roper has shown he's not afraid to use two QBs, so it's possible he could use them both quite a bit and prevent that scenario.

We can only hope!

I am not sure if Roper is truly the source for this comment, or it is people misunderstanding the offense he ran at Duke, but Roper wants ONE quarterback to run the offense. He used 2 last year because his starter fractured his collar bone and missed 4 games. Then, when he came back, he did not want Boone taking a beating on short yardage so he relented and used Brandon Connette in much the same way Urban Meyer used Tebow in Leak's senior season.

That is not quite the same as shuttling QB's like so many people who never watched Duke keep insisting on.

However, Roper has said over and over and over that it takes TWO seasons for a QB in his system to master it and run it at speed and make the correct reads. To that end, he will find a series or two in a game to give younger QBs some experience IF the game situation permits it.

As for Treon Harris, "experts" keep insisting he will have a "package" of 8-10 plays per game next year that will almost all be Trey Burton-esque, ie no throwing involved. It remains to be seen if that happens.

Personally, I would be fine with Driskel moving to TE or even to the Red Sox. Treon Harris to WR and letting Will Grier return the forward pass to our offense.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Grier's going to be great. But I wouldn't sell Harris short.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ncargat1;n10864 said:
That is not quite the same as shuttling QB's like so many people who never watched Duke keep insisting on.
Wait... you watched duke frequently?

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n10869 said:
I think Grier's going to be great. But I wouldn't sell Harris short.

I think Harris will transfer after one year of bench sitting.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You don't think Harris has some packages this year while Grier redshirts?

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ncargat1;n10864 said:
I am not sure if Roper is truly the source for this comment, or it is people misunderstanding the offense he ran at Duke, but Roper wants ONE quarterback to run the offense. He used 2 last year because his starter fractured his collar bone and missed 4 games. Then, when he came back, he did not want Boone taking a beating on short yardage so he relented and used Brandon Connette in much the same way Urban Meyer used Tebow in Leak's senior season.

However, Roper has said over and over and over that it takes TWO seasons for a QB in his system to master it and run it at speed and make the correct reads. To that end, he will find a series or two in a game to give younger QBs some experience IF the game situation permits it.

As for Treon Harris, "experts" keep insisting he will have a "package" of 8-10 plays per game next year that will almost all be Trey Burton-esque, ie no throwing involved. It remains to be seen if that happens.

Personally, I would be fine with Driskel moving to TE or even to the Red Sox. Treon Harris to WR and letting Will Grier return the forward pass to our offense.

I think Grier needs at least 1 season of "sit and learn'. No doubt he has a very good touch on the ball but I just don't think he's anywhere near ready for SEC defenses. I'm still thinking we are stuck with Driskel for 2 more seasons. Hopefully he will start making the progression the team needs.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n10946 said:
You don't think Harris has some packages this year while Grier redshirts?

I highly doubt Driskel survives the season without missing a start and Grier has the jump on Harris to be the # 2.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n11253 said:
I highly doubt Driskel survives the season without missing a start and Grier has the jump on Harris to be the # 2.

I have a feeling that you are right. It may be a fluke, or mistake in judgment on his part, but something tells me he's gonna get hurt at some point. Better coach 'em all up.

Dugaboy

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I say Turk, why would Grier redshirt? That makes no sense. Right now, we have no back up quarterback. Zilch. If Driskel breaks another leg, we are in deep scheisse. We need Grier to sparkle and get playing time in some games this fall. He throws rockets. As for Driskel hanging around after this year...I doubt that. If the kid has a good year, he is outa here.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dugaboy;n11280 said:
I say Turk, why would Grier redshirt? That makes no sense. Right now, we have no back up quarterback. Zilch. If Driskel breaks another leg, we are in deep scheisse. We need Grier to sparkle and get playing time in some games this fall. He throws rockets. As for Driskel hanging around after this year...I doubt that. If the kid has a good year, he is outa here.
It's been well documented that Will and his dad wanted to go somewhere that would allow him a redshirt season. I'm sure, if needed, he would burn the redshirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator