Duke "Hidden Treasure" QB heading to Gators?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Fun Fact of the day: Ran across this last night and it blew my mind...During Mac's long coaching career he's had only ONE QB to start for him that he landed on the recruiting trail...that's right ONE!!! AJ Mccaron is the only guy EVER to succeed that Mac actually recruited. Everyone else (who done well under Mac) all we're there whenever he arrived or transferred in as a grad transfer. That's pretty damn unbelievable if you ask me and definitely shows his inability to recruit quality QB'S at his multiple landing spots.

You mention McCarron so you are obviously including his time as an assistant coach.

McElwain was the QB coach at EWS from 1987 to 1994. I honestly don't think that EWS gets a lot of transfers. I seriously doubt that in 8 years at EWS every QB was either a transfer or someone who was there before McElwain arrived.

McElwain was the OC at Montana State for 5 seasons.

I'd like to see a link to that information. It doesn't sound right.

In any case, inheriting a star sophomore doesn't "definitely shows his inability to recruit quality QB'S at his multiple landing spots".

At Colorado State he inherited a sophomore starter that graduated the same year McElwain was hired by Florida. In his senior season Garrett Grayson threw for over 4,000 yards and 32 TDs.

McElwain was at Fresno State for one season.

McElwain inherited Drew Stanton when he arrived at Michigan State. Stanton remained the starter throughout McElwain's three seasons with the team. In McElwain's final season at MSU Stanton threw for over 3,000 yards and 22 TDs.

McElwain inherited sophomore Dave Ragone when he arrived at Louisville. Ragone started all three seasons McElwain was with the team. As a senior Ragone threw for 2,880 yards and 24 TDs.

At every stop (except cleaning up Muschamp's mess) he has inherited a talented QB. How exactly does that "shows his inability to recruit quality QB'S at his multiple landing spots"?

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You mention McCarron so you are obviously including his time as an assistant coach.

McElwain was the QB coach at EWS from 1987 to 1994. I honestly don't think that EWS gets a lot of transfers. I seriously doubt that in 8 years at EWS every QB was either a transfer or someone who was there before McElwain arrived.

In any case, inheriting a star sophomore doesn't "definitely shows his inability to recruit quality QB'S at his multiple landing spots".

At Colorado State he inherited sophomore starter that graduated the same year McElwain was hired by Florida. In his senior season Garrett Grayson threw for over 4,000 yards and 32 TDs.

McElwain inherited Drew Stanton when he arrived at Michigan State. Stanton remained the starter throughout McElwain's three seasons with the team. In McElwain's final season at MSU Stanton threw for over 3,000 yards and 22 TDs.

McElwain inherited sophomore Dave Ragone when he arrived at Louisville. Ragone started all three seasons McElwain was with the team. As a senior Ragone threw for 2,880 yards and 24 TDs.

At every stop (except cleaning up Muschamp's mess) he has inherited a talented QB. How exactly does that "shows his inability to recruit quality QB'S at his multiple landing spots"?

If you're the WR coach, you're not coaching the QBs.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
If you're the WR coach, you're not coaching the QBs.

Good point. However, he was the OC or QB coach at many of those stops.

1987–1994 Eastern Washington (QB/WR)
1995–1999 Montana State (OC/WR/ST)
2007 Fresno State (OC/QB)
2008–2011 Alabama (OC/QB)
2012–2014 Colorado State

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

2012–2014 Colorado State

Well, that's the best answer I had. Sorry. :lol:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
And I am glad we aren't taking any transfers at QB. Roll with Frask damnit,

The same link has a ND cast off as someone who wants to come here, and was waiting until we got cleared for graduate transfers, so we might be getting one anyway. Not that I am supporting it, just reporting it.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

At Colorado State he inherited a sophomore starter that graduated the same year McElwain was hired by Florida. In his senior season Garrett Grayson threw for over 4,000 yards and 32 TDs.

Bill Sikes (on gators breakdown) shared that info on the last episode. He actually knows wtf he is talking about and does the research before saying sh*t like this so I think I'll take his info over your bullsh*t opinion. Feel free to listen to the episode and learn something!

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And I am glad we aren't taking any transfers at QB. Roll with Frask damnit,
Who said we're not taking any transfers? We must like where we sit with Harris abd zaire

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are going to end up with Brandon Harris starting against Michigan probably.

7738059C-A3A1-4E75-AB68-E8DA7A6722A4_zpsuhabdpth.gif

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If Zaire, Harris or LDR start vs Mich I do not see Mac making it to year 4.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This thread doesn't disappoint. Mariana posts an interesting tidbit from an analyst that doesn't praise mac, and poof! 22 appears with a 3 page dissertation about how Mac is great and any info otherwise is to de discredited.

It must be extremely hard carrying all that water, gotta give the little fella credit.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

2012–2014 Colorado State

Jim, is that you?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Bill Sykes (on gators breakdown) shared that info on the last episode. He actually knows wtf he is talking about and does the research before saying sh*t like this so I think I'll take his info over your bullsh*t opinion. Feel free to listen to episode and learn something!

I never picked up on your insecurities before. No reason to be scared of me. My opinions won't actually hurt or change anything.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So no Sirk then? That's just great! This was probably the only chance I would ever get to see 2 former hometown Baker County Wildcats on the Florida Gators at the same time. I was this close to being able to say that my hometown was developing into a pipeline for the Gators. D*mn!!! Lol

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Actually, it does not support Mac as a recruiter. It shows he had talent when he got there (raw or polished is unknown, as most were freshman/sophomores at his arrival), and that he may be the QB whisperer in developing kids (again, where they good before he came, or did he develop them?). All his good QBs came after being under him for a few years. The best we have is LDR in his 3rd year under Mac (magic time, based on history) and Frask in their 2nd year.

Your information also shows that any kids Mac did recruit, didn't jump to the starting position quickly, and if they became starters (star or not) it was after he left.

I don't like Marianna's attitude in some of his responses, but I think he's right in what he presents. Mac hasn't shown the ability to recruit QBs. And the history of 'developing' QBs is open for debate based on talent vs coaching.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, it does not support Mac as a recruiter. It shows he had talent when he got there (raw or polished is unknown, as most were freshman/sophomores at his arrival), and that he may be the QB whisperer in developing kids ..
Or it shows he is so damn conservative and wont allow the kids to attack until they are seniors. Frankly 2800-3500 yards is pretty damn pedestrian in today's 14 or 15 game season. People forget these old 3000 yard season thing means a lot less with four or five more games on the schedule, three of which are against Little League teams.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If Zaire, Harris or LDR start vs Mich I do not see Mac making it to year 4.

If we win would that change your opinion? I don't see any change unless we degrade as a team, have outside issues, or if possibly some home run coach wants to come here.

I don't see any of those things as likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator