Florida Gators, Jim McElwain building like Clemson, not Alabama

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Mac is slowly building this team similarly to how Dabo did at Clemson. I also agree with the frustrated fans that this isn't a good thing.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
For better or worse, UF's expectations are far greater than Clempson's. Since 1990 we had SOS for 12 years then 3 yrs of Zook then freaking Meyer. Basically, we have to lower our standards for this article to even begin to make sense. We had way more sustained success over a longer period of time.

Why do I bother...

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
:exactly: And last year's NC would never have happened. Sometimes patience pays off.
The difference between Dabo and Mac is this. Dabo always ended up in the top 3 in the ACC in recruiting. Mac hasn't. Dabo got great QBs, WRs, OL and DL Mac hasn't. Dabo hired great assistants, Mac hasn't. The only thing Mac and Dabo have in common is they coach football.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
There is a difference between Mac and Dabo's in Dabo's 1st 4 recruiting classes he was pulled in 7 skill players that ranked inside of the top 10 at their position so it was clear he was building so he deserved more time. Mac on the other hand has pulled 2 skill players that ranked inside the top 10 at their position.
Wr #44
Wr #16
Rb # 19
Rb #16
Qb #16
Te #9

Wr #59
Wr #35
Wr #36
Wr #15
Rb #11
Qb #6
Qb #NR

Wr #36
Wr # NR
Te #28
Te #18
Rb #20
Rb #25
Dabo also had an offense to display. Mac has displayed nothing even remotely close to an offense.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There is a difference between Mac and Dabo's in Dabo's 1st 4 recruiting classes he was pulled in 7 skill players that ranked inside of the top 10 at their position so it was clear he was building so he deserved more time. Mac on the other hand has pulled 2 skill players that ranked inside the top 10 at their position.
Wr #44
Wr #16
Rb # 19
Rb #16
Qb #16
Te #9

Wr #59
Wr #35
Wr #36
Wr #15
Rb #11
Qb #6
Qb #NR

Wr #36
Wr # NR
Te #28
Te #18
Rb #20
Rb #25

That's a valid point. But Dabo had been recruiting the SE for the seven previous years so he had a leg up if you're comparing him to Mac. Mac's 2018/19 classes will be a more apples to apples comparison.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The difference between Dabo and Mac is this. Dabo always ended up in the top 3 in the ACC in recruiting. Mac hasn't.

You are comparing apples and oranges. A team can finish in the top 10 and still be behind 3 or more SEC teams. On the other hand a final ranking of 20 virtually guarantees a top 3 spot in the ACC.

Dabo became head coach at Clemson midway through the 2008 season. The 2009 recruiting class was his first.

Dabo's first recruiting class was ranked #31 and was behind 11 SEC teams and was behind 5 ACC teams
Mac's first recruiting class was ranked #21 and was behind 9 SEC teams and was behind 2 ACC teams

Dabo's second recruiting class was ranked #28 and was behind 10 SEC teams and was behind 3 ACC teams
Mac's second class was ranked #12 and was behind 5 SEC teams and was behind 2 ACC teams

Dabo's third recruiting class was ranked #10 and was behind 4 SEC teams and 1 ACC team
Mac's third class was ranked #11 and was behind 4 SEC teams and 1 ACC team

It's pretty clear that Mac out performed Dabo on the field and in recruiting in the first two seasons each were head coaches at their respective schools. This despite the significant advantage Dabo had in already being established and not having to come in right after Muschamp burned the place to the ground.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You are comparing apples and oranges. A team can finish in the top 10 and still be behind 3 or more SEC teams. On the other hand a final ranking of 20 virtually guarantees a top 3 spot in the ACC.

Dabo became head coach at Clemson midway through the 2008 season. The 2009 recruiting class was his first.

Dabo's first recruiting class was ranked #31 and was behind 11 SEC teams and was behind 5 ACC teams
Mac's first recruiting class was ranked #21 and was behind 9 SEC teams and was behind 2 ACC teams

Dabo's second recruiting class was ranked #28 and was behind 10 SEC teams and was behind 3 ACC teams
Mac's second class was ranked #12 and was behind 5 SEC teams and was behind 2 ACC teams

Dabo's third recruiting class was ranked #10 and was behind 4 SEC teams and 1 ACC team

It's pretty clear that Mac out performed Dabo on the field and in recruiting in the first two seasons each were head coaches at their respective schools. This despite the significant advantage Dabo had in already being established and not having to come in right after Muschamp burned the place to the ground.
Spin it, brother. Spin it!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

What the F does that have to do with price of tea in China?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The difference between Dabo and Mac is this. Dabo always ended up in the top 3 in the ACC in recruiting. Mac hasn't. Dabo got great QBs, WRs, OL and DL Mac hasn't. Dabo hired great assistants, Mac hasn't. The only thing Mac and Dabo have in common is they coach football.
This is hands down the best post in this thread.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure which point you are contesting, that you have said Mac owns his first class despite the timeline or that Dabo's first 7 games don't really count.

Either way, the main point was that Mac has outperformed Dabo over the course of the first two full seasons. I honestly think the negators at Florida would have been after Dabo's head as well if he were at Florida and put up the same numbers.

I don't think I have ever heard you take a stand on Dabo either way. Good coach all along or bad coach that suddenly figured things out? Personally, I think it just took a while to get all the pieces in place. Clemson was a hard sell when he became head coach. The real difference was the QB.
I've never once said that Dabo's first SIX games don't count. All I have said is that big picture...that first season(in the eyes of the boosters) were NOT counted against him. He got his FULL three seasons. He went 10-4 in his THIRD full year. That's is all I have ever argued. That article was misleading and misrepresented the truth. I'm all for giving Mac three seasons.

Defend it all you want.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Dabo also had an offense to display. Mac has displayed nothing even remotely close to an offense.
And who's fault is that? Mac is the reason the offense has not looked any better over the last 2 years. Coaches like Meyer/Saban would have adjusted to serve him. I watched Meyer change an offense in 2 weeks to beat UGA it can be done. I'd bet money if you took Nick Saban and gave him a pop warner team for a year they would look completely different the next year. And the bs is Mac will be given another year if he messes up because it will continue to be said let him get his own Qb in and give them time. At some point the finger has to be on Mac and imo it should be now

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
This is hands down the best post in this thread.
I've never once said that Dabo's first SIX games don't count. All I have said is that big picture...that first season(in the eyes of the boosters) were NOT counted against him. He got his FULL three seasons. He went 10-4 in his THIRD full year. That's is all I have ever argued. That article was misleading and misrepresented the truth. I'm all for giving Mac three seasons.

Defend it all you want.
So let's say he goes 7-5 And lands a class around 14 but pulls Fields do you give him more time and if so how much time because you'll have people out that say you gotta give him a few years with Fields to really see if it's just the Qb. And let's say the losses are Michigan, UT, Lsu, UGA, and FSU

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's simplify it Mac... Nuss' is boring the crap out of me, get those DBs back pedaling hard, run after you loosen them up, get a is it door number 1, 2 or 3 mentality. Somebody check the guys' pulse. I'm tired of my wife calling your plays in advance, it's freaking me out.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Let's simplify it Mac... Nuss' is boring the crap out of me, get those DBs back pedaling hard, run after you loosen them up, get a is it door number 1, 2 or 3 mentality. Somebody check the guys' pulse. I'm tired of my wife calling your plays in advance, it's freaking me out.
Well then this should make you happy:
Post regular season article. Mac firing a shot across Nuss's bow regarding predictability
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...y-calling-hurting-stars-need-touches-49365084
"We’ve got to do a better job of maintaining the art of deception, and we’ve got to continue to do that throughout and not become so predictable, in some cases, when we retake the field say after play 18 or 19," McElwain said. "So that’s something that we’re working and something we’ll do this week, as well."...."There is going to be a lot of that (evaluation) in the offseason...".

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Post regular season article. Mac firing a shot across Nuss's bow regarding predictability
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...y-calling-hurting-stars-need-touches-49365084
"We’ve got to do a better job of maintaining the art of deception, and we’ve got to continue to do that throughout and not become so predictable, in some cases, when we retake the field say after play 18 or 19," McElwain said. "So that’s something that we’re working and something we’ll do this week, as well."...."There is going to be a lot of that (evaluation) in the offseason...".
As the hc shouldn't he have done that after year 1 in the off season and not 2 years in?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
As the hc shouldn't he have done that after year 1 in the off season and not 2 years in?
I don't think there was anything predictable going on with Treon running around back there. Snap ball, hope something good happens. Repeat.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Praying-for-outreach.jpg

:fistbump:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's nice. Doesn't change anything does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator