Foley should stay on as AD...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I died a little that night.
I did, too, but I felt better when they announced Zook was gone forever... we thought.

Remember it was like 24-21 at half time, before they figured out that Zook had the strong safety covering the keep and the waggle.... or whatever it was. (I remember it was a screwed up/ double assignment but I can't really remember which now.)

Immediately finding and hiring Stoops instead of going the nickle and dime route with promoting some cheap assistant showed we were intent on taking that next step.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Bobby Pruett bore responsibility. However, everyone knew that he was actually at Marshall most of the bowl prep and that Zook was running the D. There were even a few Zook from the Ashes stories in the local rags and people implying that Zook would be the DC again after Pruett was officially gone. They even gave him an official promotion after the bowl game and let him be DC for a few days on paper before convincing him to go to New Orleans.

Zooker was Fooley's first true love.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Glad foley is retiring. We need a football minded AD that understands that football is by far the most important sport and that's what matters. No one cares about women's volleyball.

Also we need an AD that is a visionary that understands what it takes to maintain an elite program. Foley just sits on his hands until the football program falls behind and is forced to make a change and even then he tries to cut corners like his proposed 50 yard ipf but Mac had him make a full one

Last edited:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is those 2 National Championship coaches were hired regardless of Foley. Spurrier before he took over and Machen showed he was hiring Meyer regardless when he made that comment that Spurrier could apply like anyone else in that press conference. Donovan was Foley's only great success in the big time hires he made at UF where he actually controlled the decision.
This statement right here is what I have always heard. Machen is the one who said Spurrier had to send in his resume to be considered. Not Foley!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
However, financially speaking, football is all that matters.

You want to keep Fooley? Then make him Emeritus AD/Asst AD for Nonprofit Sports. Just keep his paws out of football and the football budget. I'd be fine with that.
I dont care if JF goes or stays a little while longer. As for the finances. As soon as SOS starts moving around and talking to boosters that money will flow like the sh#t from that Rhino in the smilies especially the old booster that drifted away when the darkness came over us. He will bring it in like trump brings in morons to his rallies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This statement right here is what I have always heard. Machen is the one who said Spurrier had to send in his resume to be considered. Not Foley!

I think that is how it went down and Foley maybe said something later after Machen pulled that when questioned about Spurrier. I don't care for Foley much but I highly doubt he would have handled that at all like Machen did. It would have been interesting to see how that whole situation would have played out if Machen wasn't the President and insisting on Meyer basically.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
A lot of you people trash the 80's as not a good time in Florida football but I remember it different. We went from winless in '79 to SEC Championships in '84, '85. That was a damn good ride. Do you not remember the celebration in '84? The team plane flying over on the way back from Kentucky while "We Are The Champions" boomed in the stadium. The celebration up and down University that night, which to this day, is the biggest, longest lasting celebration in Gator history. I've been to NC games and we didn't celebrate like we did that night. After 50+ years we beat Georgia/Auburn back to back and showed that we belong. That was one helluva a lot of fun from '79 through '85 and for the first time put us in the nation's elite. And then even while on probation we still had Emmitt Smith to thrill us in the stands and garnish us national recognition.
We had great success in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. For me we have one of the nation's most successful programs so no, I do not except mediocrity like some of you (no mentioning any names, PE). The 2010's started off as a disaster but at least Mac has got us back to the SECCG. Now hopefully we can win one before the decade is out. Hopefully before the decade is out we will be back in the NC conversation.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My .02...Foley did a lot of good things as the UF AD and it is admirable that the arose from what many might consider an entry level position in the athletic department to the top spot. It is not by happenstance that he is lauded as one of the best in the business among his peers and many fans. However, that doesn't mean he was perfect; he certainly had some issues, primarily in the football house, that were not when they occurred and will never be forgiven by many. If I had to name the ones that were or became most perplexing to me personally, they would be (in no particular order):

*Talking Meyer out of quitting. Seemed like the thing to do for a 2-time NC coach, especially when it worked well when Billy D resigned and dabbled with the Magic (only to have a change of heart and return and succeed). I may be wrong, but to me, Billy's situation was the outlier. My experience in similar situations, albeit at a lower level, is that when a coach spits out the bit, he's done with you and the program. You might kiss his @ss well enough to keep him around a year more, but he's most likely going to give you a go-through-the-motions effort. Foley was either caught off guard (which I don't really buy) or unprepared in terms of a contingency plan regarding who you want as the next coach of your program. Twice now, Bob Stoops hasn't really been a viable option.

*Muschamp turned out to be a bad hire and in retrospect I think the basis for bringing him in was that he was somewhat of a media and CFB "darling" as the assistant coach most likely to transition into a successful HC. Say what you want, but the guy has done some good things defensively throughout his career. He even recruits well, but it seems that it is predominantly defense-heavy. I was in his camp early on and wanted him to succeed, but toward the end it became apparent that he lacked the necessary PR skills and the emotional control (not to mention a grasp of what he needed for our team to be balanced and thus much better offensively) that successful HC's must possess. I don't know that these traits were held in as high regard during the hiring process under Foley as they might should have been, but that is my best guess.

*I would have liked to see Foley be more supportive of SOS in the Graham/Dockett affair. In all likelihood, it might not have made much of a difference as to whether SOS came, stayed, laid, or prayed, but a show of support or a united front sends a powerful message, within and without, and I think that was a lost opportunity in that regard.

I didn't list the Zook hire as a big gaff, though it is certainly debatable. Reason being is that even though he was not the guy everybody wanted and was mediocre in many respects, he did recruit well and didn't leave a roster bereft of some talent and we didn't fall under any damaging sanctions. I suppose the same argument could be made for Muschamp, but where Foley is concerned, it was a case of the same mistake twice and the consequences in terms of fan base acceptance is not going to be a hearty approval! I also didn't list SOS' departure or his possible return, as I'm of the opinion that Steve was going to give the pros a shot no matter what and that by doing so might have led to his devaluation when he sought to return to the college ranks and, perhaps, to his alma mater. Part of me wants to believe, despite opinions possibly to the contrary, that if SOS had the total support of the high level contributors, university president, etc., he would have been offered the job. Could Foley have been more proactive and campaigned a sway if needed? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line to me is this: the guy has decided to call it a career and I appreciate the manifold good decisions and hires he has made. He obviously feels his time is done and that is not a bad thing. From Zook until now, with 4 good Meyer years sandwiched in between, it has been tedious in football to say the least for us fans. In that respect, the imminent change has the potential to bring about a revitalization on one hand and a consistency of what has been well done on the other. I'm excited to see where we'll be going!

That's pretty good Cover. What I would add other than chronological order is that after Spurrier left Foley should never have been caught with his pants down on a coaching departure. There were 3 strikes on the Chump hire:
1) Foley had a year to prepare and Chump was the best he could come up with
2) Chump had no experience as a HC - Florida is better than that
3) Chump, a DC, not only had no experience as a head coach but no experience with the offensive side of the ball.

Chump met none of the requirements of being Florida's other than availability and I thought it was a bad hire then and history has shown us that it was the worst hire possibly ever.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
A lot of you people trash the 80's as not a good time in Florida football but I remember it different. We went from winless in '79 to SEC Championships in '84, '85. That was a damn good ride. Do you not remember the celebration in '84? The team plane flying over on the way back from Kentucky while "We Are The Champions" boomed in the stadium. The celebration up and down University that night, which to this day, is the biggest, longest lasting celebration in Gator history. I've been to NC games and we didn't celebrate like we did that night. After 50+ years we beat Georgia/Auburn back to back and showed that we belong. That was one helluva a lot of fun from '79 through '85 and for the first time put us in the nation's elite. And then even while on probation we still had Emmitt Smith to thrill us in the stands and garnish us national recognition.
Cannot argue with you.........just the sec and ncaa left a bad taste and the no TV for two years and scholarship reduction allowed FSU to gain much strength (and UM) Pell got the boosters spending money on the stadium and program

. The celebration up and down University that night, which to this day, is the biggest, longest lasting celebration in Gator history.
I was there, you were right, They didnt close the street like they do now. I wanted to buid a bon fire in the center of 13th and Unive ave but I also didnt want to go jail. I heard they did it when Graves beat the BEar in 63. I had a cop speak to me about my enthusiasm that night. And I had a permanent dent in the the hood of my Ford Granada (granola) after that night............Great times great times

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Cannot argue with you.........just the sec and ncaa left a bad taste and the no TV for two years and scholarship reduction allowed FSU to gain much strength (and UM) Pell got the boosters spending money on the stadium and program

I was there, you were right, They didnt close the street like they do now. I wanted to buid a bon fire in the center of 13th and Unive ave but I also didnt want to go jail. I heard they did it when Graves beat the BEar in 63. I had a cop speak to me about my enthusiasm that night. And I had a permanent dent in the the hood of my Ford Granada (granola) after that night............Great times great times

I think my arm is still sore from high fives driving up and down the street that night.

rswgator

May 28, 2016
Well one day when you get that bama or UT type of AD and we get fckn hammered for stupidity (make no mistake a bama or UT can weather it but UF is despised) it will happen...........and then tell me what a douche JF was then. If you remember how bad it was here after Pell then you will know what we mean. The price of that success was crushing (even though pell didnt do anything those ckcskers around the SEC were doing then and KEPT DOING FOR YEAARS)

Gators dont need or want anyone like UT type anything! GOGATORS!!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The celebration up and down University that night, which to this day, is the biggest, longest lasting celebration in Gator history. I've been to NC games and we didn't celebrate like we did that night. After 50+ years we beat Georgia/Auburn back to back and showed that we belong. That was one helluva a lot of fun from '79 through '85 and for the first time put us in the nation's elite.

I still remember the chaos and the running in the streets ...and the look on the faces of the policemen, like "oh well, let's just try and keep them from killing themselves". And yes, those were good times, we were "kind of a big deal".
From 1985:

shopping

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah until you watched the Great Wall of Florida split D-lines for Neal, John L and Hampton to bolt through... some good times early '80s.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Good find. We did have a Johnell that played at GHS Im pretty sure. Maybe Brown.........
Hello stranger........I may not spell but I can recall lot of John L's career. Palatka boy who won state titles there. Probably our greatest FB of all time who could have played TB (but we had Neal and Lorenzo) helluva a blocking back and great hands. Great career in Seattle. All pro one year I think. (havent looked a google yet. )

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good find. We did have a Johnell that played at GHS Im pretty sure. Maybe Brown.........
Hello stranger........I may not spell but I can recall lot of John L's career. Palatka boy who won state titles there. Probably our greatest FB of all time who could have played TB (but we had Neal and Lorenzo) helluva a blocking back and great hands. Great career in Seattle. All pro one year I think. (havent looked a google yet. )

Tommy Durrance

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We all loved Tommy. I heard he was a Sand Crab in HS. The forgoten super soph and now passed away
Thomas L. Durrance was a college football player. He was a prominent halfback for the Florida Gators of theUniversity of Florida from 1969 to 1971;[1] one of the "Super Sophs".[2] During his sophomore season, he scored 110 points—then the school record, and still tied for second on the Gators' single-season records list. He was only the second person in SEC history to score 100.[3] His 18 touchdowns gave him the nickname of "Touchdown Tommy.
He was money in the bank. The 2nd player in SEC history to hit 100 pts. And we thought John and Carlos were the superstars. One thing folks forget was that great O line. All vets. The sophs never had quite the success the next two years for various reasons but that was a big one.

Sep 29, 2015
I've been holding off on posting this for some time, but it's accurate. It's well known in Florida inner circles but everyone swore to an oath of secrecy for the better good. You'll find no links on it anywhere. I was fortunate to be at the right Florida Field urinal at the right time to hear it all.

Supposedly Foley entered the locker room immediately after the crushing 34-32 defeat to Tennessee that ended the team's SEC and national title hopes. Players were naturally quite upset, and that included Graham, who sat in street clothes at his locker openly sobbing. Foley tried to come up to offer congratulations on the season, and he mentioned something about Hoke's run defense. Spurrier came bolting across the room and asked Foley to leave. There were heated words and apparently Berlin, who doubled as Spurrier's personal concierge, had to separate the two. There was no saving the relationship at that point.

Haven't heard this story but I was at the game with incredible seats. What a kick in the balls when we failed to convert the 2! I never felt the air let out of the Swamp more than that moment. I was convinced that team was destined for the national championship. Only silver lining was that UT thought they were headed there after beating us and then blew it the following week in the SEC championship game.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've been holding off on posting this for some time, but it's accurate. It's well known in Florida inner circles but everyone swore to an oath of secrecy for the better good. You'll find no links on it anywhere. I was fortunate to be at the right Florida Field urinal at the right time to hear it all.

Supposedly Foley entered the locker room immediately after the crushing 34-32 defeat to Tennessee that ended the team's SEC and national title hopes. Players were naturally quite upset, and that included Graham, who sat in street clothes at his locker openly sobbing. Foley tried to come up to offer congratulations on the season, and he mentioned something about Hoke's run defense. Spurrier came bolting across the room and asked Foley to leave. There were heated words and apparently Berlin, who doubled as Spurrier's personal concierge, had to separate the two. There was no saving the relationship at that point.

So, you take something you overheard at a Florida Field URINAL at least a year after the fact and post it as being accurate with a hundred people being sworn to secrecy for the better good! And call yourself fortunate....

That is quite a detailed amount of information to have just casually overheard while taking a whizz. Take a listen to last Thursday night's call in show on Gatorzone where SOS and Foley talk freely off the cuff for an hour about how they vacation in the Bahamas every year and will be hanging out together at various events and times while probably NOT playing golf together. They have been friends for a very long time and Steve had zero reason to come to Gainesville if there was bad blood between the two.

I am sure Steve would have appreciated Foley's public support in the Dockett issue, but there are official channels to go through in matters of that nature with conference commissioners and directors of officials that must be followed according to league rules.

I am not writing this as a personal attack on you, it just doesn't make sense to me that those two guys would do an hour radio show together without a script and be so friendly to each other if there was bad blood in their relationship and that Foley would work so hard to get Florida Field renamed for Steve and to bring him back to UF as a consultant with Mac's full approval....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator