Foley should stay on as AD...

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Foley wasn't perfect. But overall he may be the best AD out there. Those that wanted him fired are insane.

Zook was a bad hire and a bad coach. But your options are limited in January, and he was a hell of a recruiter and set up Meyer for 2 national championships. People also forget Zook teams beat some of the best teams in the nation. He just couldn't win the ones he was supposed to especially teams in MS

Muschamp turned out to be a dud but on paper he was a good hire. Nobody bats a thousand on these hires. And all these homer fans who think we can just go hire anybody we want because we are FL are delusional. Successful coaches at top programs rarely leave to go somewhere else. How many years did Bama go before getting a good hire?

Look at 3 FB national championships 2 basketball and one of the top 5 multiathtletic programs year in and year out. But that isn't good enough for our spoiled baby brat fans.

Hell I remember Gator fans wanting Spurrier out. Said he couldn't recruit and his best days were behind him. They wanted Meyer gone after his drama and a mediocre season. Year after year they wanted Donovan gone after a streak of one and dones in the tourney. Spoiled baby brats.
Zook and Muschamp were DC's. It's about setting a course for the program, a brand etc. Foley whipsawed us from Offensive Genius to Defensive Dead Beat to Smurph Ball then BACK to Stone Age DC dolt. Just picking a HC without regard to how the effects the continuity of the brand makes Foley's misses unforgivable.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
3, count them, 3 DISLIKES... should be 4, Dubs wants to save you the embarrassment cuz he's a nice guy.
Dislikes are what middle school girls do at nite on their phones,..........Dubs is caught up in the Foley hate and I have no problem with it, This SOS hates Foleysh#t is funny stupid and and a symptom of NO FOOTBALL FOR SO LONG. IT will abate soon but it will be funny as we see more evidence that it was all just People Magazine Drama/nonsense when SOS and JF interact more and more as the year goes along...........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:snob:

Why would you want to follow a team that has such awful fans? FSU would be better for you.
Who cheers for the fans,.......We love the teams but the fans that only know SOS or Meyer success have so little perspective they are like yip yip dogs whining for their team to make them happy,. IT just gets old. Our success is amazing, It is not a birthright. **** happens and there are dozens of other programs after the same thing with fan bases just as nutty.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp turned out to be... a good hire.

This about sums up L-boy. Foley rode the coattails of Spurrier waking the sleeping giant. The population explosion helped as well. The portrayal of Foley as some AD wunderkind is overblown.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hbswork...athletic-success-boosts-college-applications/

Spurrier didn't just improve athletics...my God the man did more for UF than just win on the football field. And he wasn't a hired gun. He truly loves us and cares about Gainesville. Billy D is in the same mold, IMHO. I have a strong feeling that Foley's O Dome crap contributed to Billy leaving(not the main reason but it was a factor). And while Mac seems like a massive improvement on the Chump...it's not even close to how I felt when Urban was hired. Time will tell but he feels more Richt than Saban/Meyer/Harbaugh/SOS. We had two all-time greats in a 20 year span. How many other schools can claim that? The chances of three? Probably slim to none.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Who cheers for the fans,.......We love the teams but the fans that only know SOS or Meyer success have so little perspective they are like yip yip dogs whining for their team to make them happy,. IT just gets old. Our success is amazing, It is not a birthright. **** happens and there are dozens of other programs after the same thing with fan bases just as nutty.
What is your point? We should accept mediocrity?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014

Yeah most of these fans have no perspective. They only remember the more recent good old days. They didn't experience the ups and downs of gator fandom pre Spurrier.

People at GSMB and now here were generally gushing for Spurrier. But you get some younger fans not so much. I very much remember posting on these boards when spurrier was here that his best days were past and defenses had figured out his schemes and we hadn't won a NC in 5 or 6 years and not many SECs post 1996 and were pretty excited when he left. People were constantly complaining about Billy Donovan.

Fans are fickle and irrational. Same for any successful program with a rabid fan base.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
You really shouldn't venture out of the PF.

Well this is one reason I don't spend lots of time in these sports forums. I enjoy debating, but it is disheartening when you argue with fellow fans who get online and behave irrationally and advocate positions that are destructive to the program. Plus how they act as if they are entitled to some level of performance. It actually diminishes the experience of being a Gator fan.

I'm still a fan and watch the games and pull for the Gators but am less likely to pour my whole sense of well being into the success of a bunch of 18-22 year olds who don't know me or could give a damn about me. Having been through the Zook years and post Meyer years have brought some of that perspective.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
:snob:

Why would you want to follow a team that has such awful fans? FSU would be better for you.

All fans of any perpetually good program are like this. If they weren't this way college football wouldn't be such a big business.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My .02...Foley did a lot of good things as the UF AD and it is admirable that the arose from what many might consider an entry level position in the athletic department to the top spot. It is not by happenstance that he is lauded as one of the best in the business among his peers and many fans. However, that doesn't mean he was perfect; he certainly had some issues, primarily in the football house, that were not when they occurred and will never be forgiven by many. If I had to name the ones that were or became most perplexing to me personally, they would be (in no particular order):

*Talking Meyer out of quitting. Seemed like the thing to do for a 2-time NC coach, especially when it worked well when Billy D resigned and dabbled with the Magic (only to have a change of heart and return and succeed). I may be wrong, but to me, Billy's situation was the outlier. My experience in similar situations, albeit at a lower level, is that when a coach spits out the bit, he's done with you and the program. You might kiss his @ss well enough to keep him around a year more, but he's most likely going to give you a go-through-the-motions effort. Foley was either caught off guard (which I don't really buy) or unprepared in terms of a contingency plan regarding who you want as the next coach of your program. Twice now, Bob Stoops hasn't really been a viable option.

*Muschamp turned out to be a bad hire and in retrospect I think the basis for bringing him in was that he was somewhat of a media and CFB "darling" as the assistant coach most likely to transition into a successful HC. Say what you want, but the guy has done some good things defensively throughout his career. He even recruits well, but it seems that it is predominantly defense-heavy. I was in his camp early on and wanted him to succeed, but toward the end it became apparent that he lacked the necessary PR skills and the emotional control (not to mention a grasp of what he needed for our team to be balanced and thus much better offensively) that successful HC's must possess. I don't know that these traits were held in as high regard during the hiring process under Foley as they might should have been, but that is my best guess.

*I would have liked to see Foley be more supportive of SOS in the Graham/Dockett affair. In all likelihood, it might not have made much of a difference as to whether SOS came, stayed, laid, or prayed, but a show of support or a united front sends a powerful message, within and without, and I think that was a lost opportunity in that regard.

I didn't list the Zook hire as a big gaff, though it is certainly debatable. Reason being is that even though he was not the guy everybody wanted and was mediocre in many respects, he did recruit well and didn't leave a roster bereft of some talent and we didn't fall under any damaging sanctions. I suppose the same argument could be made for Muschamp, but where Foley is concerned, it was a case of the same mistake twice and the consequences in terms of fan base acceptance is not going to be a hearty approval! I also didn't list SOS' departure or his possible return, as I'm of the opinion that Steve was going to give the pros a shot no matter what and that by doing so might have led to his devaluation when he sought to return to the college ranks and, perhaps, to his alma mater. Part of me wants to believe, despite opinions possibly to the contrary, that if SOS had the total support of the high level contributors, university president, etc., he would have been offered the job. Could Foley have been more proactive and campaigned a sway if needed? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line to me is this: the guy has decided to call it a career and I appreciate the manifold good decisions and hires he has made. He obviously feels his time is done and that is not a bad thing. From Zook until now, with 4 good Meyer years sandwiched in between, it has been tedious in football to say the least for us fans. In that respect, the imminent change has the potential to bring about a revitalization on one hand and a consistency of what has been well done on the other. I'm excited to see where we'll be going!

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My .02...Foley did a lot of good things as the UF AD and it is admirable that the arose from what many might consider an entry level position in the athletic department to the top spot. It is not by happenstance that he is lauded by his peers as one of the best in the business among his peers and many fans. However, that doesn't mean he was perfect; he certainly had some issues, primarily in the football house, that were not when they occurred and will never be forgiven by many. If I had to name the ones that were or became most perplexing to me personally, they would be (in no particular order):

*Talking Meyer out of quitting. Seemed like the thing to do for a 2-time NC coach, especially when it worked well when Billy D resigned and dabbled with the Magic (only to have a change of heart and return and succeed). I may be wrong, but to me, Billy's situation was the outlier. My experience in similar situations, albeit at a lower level, is that when a coach spits out the bit, he's done with you and the program. You might kiss his @ss well enough to keep him around a year more, but he's most likely going to give you a go-through-the-motions effort. Foley was either caught off guard (which I don't really buy) or unprepared in terms of a contingency plan regarding who you want as the next coach of your program. Twice now, Bob Stoops hasn't really been a viable option.

*Muschamp turned out to be a bad hire and in retrospect I think the basis for bringing him in was that he was somewhat of a media and CFB "darling" as the assistant coach most likely to transition into a successful HC. Say what you want, but the guy has done some good things defensively throughout his career. He even recruits well, but it seems that it is predominantly defense-heavy. I was in his camp early on and wanted him to succeed, but toward the end it became apparent that he lacked the necessary PR skills and the emotional control (not to mention a grasp of what he needed for our team to be balanced and thus much better offensively) that successful HC's must possess. I don't know that these traits were held in as high regard during the hiring process under Foley as they might should have been, but that is my best guess.

*I would have liked to see Foley be more supportive of SOS in the Graham/Dockett affair. In all likelihood, it might not have made much of a difference, but a show of support or a united front sends a powerful message, within and without, and I think that was a lost opportunity in that regard.

I didn't list the Zook hire as a big gaff, though it is certainly debatable. Reason being is that even though he was not the guy everybody wanted and was mediocre in many respects, he did recruit well and didn't leave a roster bereft of some talent and we didn't fall under any damaging sanctions. I suppose the same argument could be made for Muschamp, but where Foley is concerned, it was a case of the same mistake twice and the consequences in terms of fan base acceptance is not going to be a hearty approval! I also didn't list SOS' departure or his possible return, as I'm of the opinion that Steve was going to give the pros a shot no matter what and that by doing so might have led to his devaluation when he sought to return to the college ranks and, perhaps, to his alma mater. Part of me wants to believe, despite opinions possibly to the contrary, that if SOS had the total support of the high level contributors, university president, etc., he would have been offered the job. Could Foley have been more proactive and campaigned a sway if needed? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line to me is this: the guy has decided to call it a career and I appreciate the manifold good decisions and hires he has made. He obviously feels his time is done and that is not a bad thing. From Zook until now, with 4 good Meyer years sandwiched in between, it has been tedious in football to say the least for us fans. In that respect, the imminent change has the potential to bring about a revitalization on one hand and a consistency of what has been well done on the other. I'm excited to see where we'll be going!
:exactly: The only thing I would say is our younger fans got a small taste of humility from our struggles. They shoud be happy they didnt get that 20 or 30 or 40 year taste veteran fans got before the favorite son came home and laid waste to the SEC.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:exactly: The only thing I would say is our younger fans got a small taste of humility from our struggles. They shoud be happy they didnt get that 20 or 30 or 40 year taste veteran fans got before the favorite son came home and laid waste to the SEC.
I can't disagree!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If you were a Gator in the 70's and 80's.....it was rough. When SOS hit the door the winds of change started.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you were a Gator in the 70's and 80's.....it was rough. When SOS hit the door the winds of change started.
You're damn right! If ever there was the right guy at the right time for a football program that was always close, but no cigar, it was him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Foley wasn't perfect. But overall he may be the best AD out there. Those that wanted him fired are insane.

Zook was a bad hire and a bad coach. But your options are limited in January, and he was a hell of a recruiter and set up Meyer for 2 national championships. People also forget Zook teams beat some of the best teams in the nation. He just couldn't win the ones he was supposed to especially teams in MS

Muschamp turned out to be a dud but on paper he was a good hire. Nobody bats a thousand on these hires. And all these homer fans who think we can just go hire anybody we want because we are FL are delusional. Successful coaches at top programs rarely leave to go somewhere else. How many years did Bama go before getting a good hire?

Look at 3 FB national championships 2 basketball and one of the top 5 multiathtletic programs year in and year out. But that isn't good enough for our spoiled baby brat fans.

Hell I remember Gator fans wanting Spurrier out. Said he couldn't recruit and his best days were behind him. They wanted Meyer gone after his drama and a mediocre season. Year after year they wanted Donovan gone after a streak of one and dones in the tourney. Spoiled baby brats.

The problem is those 2 National Championship coaches were hired regardless of Foley. Spurrier before he took over and Machen showed he was hiring Meyer regardless when he made that comment that Spurrier could apply like anyone else in that press conference. Donovan was Foley's only great success in the big time hires he made at UF where he actually controlled the decision.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We've had this same argument at least ten million times in the last ten years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.