Gators part ways with DB coach Kirk Callahan

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
A lot of truth to that but just as telling I believe is the fact that our biggest recruiting rival, FSU, has beaten us 5 out of 6 times while showing the in state recruits that despite an average coach you can put a functional offense and defense together and win most of your games. We missed an opportunity at home in front at least of 30-40 prime recruits to prove this was changing. This to me is just as telling as any other factor why our class this year and the past few years is lacking in difference making offensive talent.

F$U is 7th to our 15th in assistant pay. They are not in the top 25 of facilities. I lost my spread sheet that I computed average start ratings for the last 5 years but they have definitely recruited better than us. With the mess that we have been since The Great Esophageal Spasm of 2009 we've been in a down turn in prestige and it has been reflected in recruiting.

Fact is we are 6th in the SEC in assistant pay, 5th in facilities, = 6th in recruiting talent = middle of the road in the SEC.

You get what you pay for, Foley.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unless you guys are high-rollers willing to up your donations to the UAA to help facilitate these salary increases, might I suggest that you are currently just pissing into the wind

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Unless you guys are high-rollers willing to up your donations to the UAA to help facilitate these salary increases, might I suggest that you are currently just pissing into the wind

What? You mean Foley doesnt follow orders from this board?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

The money is there. Florida operates in the black. Out of $124 mil in revenue we can afford and extra $1 mil for assistants.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

If you are interested and can read a financial statement:
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/gatorzone.com/documents/2015/9/30/uaa_fs_2014-06-30_2014.pdf

A simplified version from Gator Boosters (p126):
http://d81ldo19jx3e0.cloudfront.net/gatorboosters/img/about-us/year_in_review/2015_Athletic_YIR.pdf

In the financials you can see the hit we took $11 million (apparently written off in 2015) that included 'chumps buyout.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Focusing on the dollar amount that we're budgeting for assistant salaries is one thing - our $3.4 million vs. the $5 million plus that other programs are paying - is essentially 40-50% less than what other programs who have won championships over the last 5+ years are paying. Sure, if the stars align we can win without paying over-inflated salaries. But this is the direction CFB is moving and Foley - once again - has fallen behind the competition.

If we can steal LSUs DB coach, the DBU debate will officially be over. Maybe Mac gets Foley to open up the coin purse.

I'll tell you this, UF is NOT "DBU". That is a freaking joke. Yes, we have and have had some good DB's, but so have many, many other programs including LSU, Bama, FSU, UGA, Auburn and plenty of others. The "DBU" thing is an over-inflated, self- proclaimed moniker by a bunch of undeserving, over-hyped, self-entitled premadonna's! "DBU" my ass! Go cover somebody!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Focusing on the dollar amount that we're budgeting for assistant salaries is one thing - our $3.4 million vs. the $5 million plus that other programs are paying - is essentially 40-50% less than what other programs who have won championships over the last 5+ years are paying. Sure, if the stars align we can win without paying over-inflated salaries. But this is the direction CFB is moving and Foley - once again - has fallen behind the competition.

I'll tell you this, UF is NOT "DBU". That is a freaking joke. Yes, we have and have had some good DB's, but so have many, many other programs including LSU, Bama, FSU, UGA, Auburn and plenty of others. The "DBU" thing is an over-inflated, self- proclaimed moniker by a bunch of undeserving, over-hyped, self-entitled premadonna's! "DBU" my ass! Go cover somebody!

I think our new nickname is 3 Star U.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I'm a season ticket holder (have been for 10 yrs) and donate a good chunk to the program every year. Do you??? BTW...the reason people are talking about this so much is because it directly ties to the reasons why we've been getting our ass handed to us yr after yr by top tier programs on the field and on the recruiting trail. We're a top 7 money revenue school yet we pay asst coaches like we're broke! Yet FSU isn't a top 20 money revenue school yet they are in top 5 for asst coach pay and are about to spend $250 million on Facilities. This is inexcusable and is the reason people are PISSED!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a season ticket holder (have been for 10 yrs) and donate a good chunk to the program every year. Do you??? BTW...the reason people are talking about this so much is because it directly ties to the reasons why we've been getting our ass handed to us yr after yr by top tier programs on the field and on the recruiting trail. We're a top 7 money revenue school yet we pay asst coaches like we're broke! Yet FSU isn't a top 20 money revenue school yet they are in top 5 for asst coach pay and are about to spend $250 million on Facilities. This is inexcusable and is the reason people are PISSED!

But but but he has won the all sports trophy 77 times

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
That doesn't matter a sh*t to me or the majority of the base. Olympic sports mean NOTHING,however the big 3 do!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

You got a link to that or is that a typo?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
You got a link to that or is that a typo?
SportsMoney

FSU Utilizes New Football Facilities To Attract Top Recruits

Alicia Jessop

CONTRIBUTOR

I write about dollars and cents in the world of sports.

Earlier this summer, FSU unveiled new facilities for its football program, including a new locker room, players’ lounge, team meeting room and coaches suite. The upgrades are part of FSU’s “Champions Campaign,” which is a $250-million fundraising initiative aimed at enhancing the school’s “athletic facilities, scholarships and team operation budgets.” The recent facilities upgrades were paid for with $4.85 million out of that fund.

FSU’s new football facilities are nothing short of spectacular. The project merged tradition with technology, by creating spaces aimed at recognizing Florida State’s great players, while also giving current players an ability to improve their game through technology. FSU’s tradition is highlighted by the statues of former FSU players’ jerseys surrounding the team’s new locker room. ”There is such great history and tradition here at FSU and we wanted to find the best way to show off that history and tradition. The statues of former players’ jerseys always stay lit. Our thought behind that, is that our current players are sharing this locker room with all of the greats who have played here, so we never turn the lights off on the jerseys,” Florida State’s director of football operations, Mark Robinson, explained. Technology was emphasized in the project by installing various amenities in players’ lockers, including iPads. ”We wanted to improve our players’ morale by giving them the best resources available. We integrated our entire video system onto their iPads, so if a player has five minutes before practice and say, wants to watch some Clemson plays, they can. Or, if something happens at practice and they’re coming off of the field, they can pull up the practice video right away to figure out what happened,” Florida State’s director of football operations, Mark Robinson, said. To see a look of FSU’s new football facility upgrades, click here for a behind-the-scenes video.

"" loaded="1" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: bottom;">

While FSU was heavily focused upon tradition and technology in upgrading its football facilities, it was also focused upon attracting recruits. ”While our first goal with this project was to give our current student-athletes a more modern locker room and space, we also were focused on recruiting with this project. We have so many recruits that come through this building, and we wanted to leave a mark with them. We wanted to make sure that they come in, have a big ‘wow’ factor and see everything FSU has to offer,” Robinson noted.

In that regard, FSU turned to outside help to begin determining how to give recruits the “wow” factor with their new football facility. One company that FSU brought in for the project wasAdvent, a Nashville-based company that helps brands tell their stories by designing unique spaces for them. Recently, Advent has completed projects for USC’s athletics facility, Stanford’s football program and Maryland’s football stadium, amongst others. Through its projects, Advent relies upon creating graphics packages that are built into the team’s facility to tell its story.

SAPVoice

Are Employees the Biggest Roadblock to Digital Transformation?

Utilizing Advent’s services, FSU was able to create eye-pleasing and interesting spaces to share its traditions with players and recruits. Amongst other things, Advent helped FSU showcase the three Heisman Trophies its players have won. It also helped the program highlight its relationship with Nike, by creating an interactive video board, through which players can mix-and-match FSU’s uniforms to customize their own game-day attire. Advent also helped FSU become the first college football program with a life-size College Gameday broadcasting desk in its football facility, complete with pictures of the famed College Gameday sign holders behind it. ”A program is so much more than the iconography of the brand. There’s a real sense of story behind every program. We understood FSU’s story in a way that was different and unique and we tried to interpret it through their new facilities in a way that was different and unique,” Advent’s CEO, John Roberson, said.

In approaching FSU’s project, Roberson and Advent also had some important data to help the FSU football program attract top results. Every year, Roberson commissions a survey of blue chip football recruits to learn what drove their decision to sign with a particular school. Through this survey, he gleans information about the trends that are driving college football recruits’ decisions. And from that information, he is able to help programs utilize their facilities to convey a story that recruits want to see told.

Recommended by

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd believe the assistant coach link to recruiting more than facilities. Who wants to be recruited by a coach and build a relationship knowing he probably won't be there in a year or two.

As far as facilities, the IPF and dorms are by far the biggest things. Kids want a nice place to live and a nice place to work. The other frills don't matter a whole lot. UF has always had great academic support.

Maybe after the Muschamp payout stops, they can use that money to help out with assistants

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Okay. So they have a fund raising goal of $250 million over who knows how many years. Give them credit for having a goal.
To put the numbers in perspective:
We just built the IPF for $15 million funded by bonds (not donations).
The renovation of the Hawkins Center is being done with $15 million anonymous donation. And a $5 million renovation at the O'connel center coming from donations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.