Gators part ways with DB coach Kirk Callahan

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
To me it's not so much about the dollars and cents but the ability to think ahead of the competition. Bama started this about 8 or 9 years ago to surpass us....what have we done? We've watched our biggest recruiting rival, FSU, and more than half of our conference not to mention others programs around the country grab a sh!t ton of attention by doing major overhauls of their facilities and catering to the wants of prospective recruits......For the most part this years and next years recruits don't remember us being the leader in these areas....because they were in 4th grade....They don't even know us as being a perennial Top 25 program.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Okay. So they have a fund raising goal of $250 million over who knows how many years. Give them credit for having a goal.
To put the numbers in perspective:
We just built the IPF for $15 million funded by bonds (not donations).
The renovation of the Hawkins Center is being done with $15 million anonymous donation. And a $5 million renovation at the O'connel center coming from donations.
Yeah, I'd say having a "goal" of trying to raise $250m is a little different than acting like they're about to do $250m in upgrades...but that's just me. :lol:

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Our fans are no different than any others. If you read other teams boards, the same complaints are ever present. All fan bases are similar

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
To me it's not so much about the dollars and cents but the ability to think ahead of the competition. Bama started this about 8 or 9 years ago to surpass us....what have we done? We've watched our biggest recruiting rival, FSU, and more than half of our conference not to mention others programs around the country grab a sh!t ton of attention by doing major overhauls of their facilities and catering to the wants of prospective recruits......For the most part this years and next years recruits don't remember us being the leader in these areas....because they were in 4th grade....They don't even know us as being a perennial Top 25 program.
Yep...but facilities doesn't make a difference :rolleyes3: I'm glad we've made the couple upgrades we have but we're still way behind. Just look what FSU has done in just the last 2 yrs.

$15 mill on the indoor facility.
$4.5 million on the locker room

http://www.thesportscol.com/2014/09/Florida-state-football-makes-facility-upgrades/

$99.5 mill renovation on the stadium to be finished by November

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2015/03/20/planning-doak-campbell-stadium-future/25094325/

That's $119 million spent in Tallahassee on FOOTBALL alone! We've spent $30 on Football and Basketball combined in the same time span. Hopefully we'll be doing the same soon!

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Gator Boosters Inc. Revenue - millions
Total Revenue (Capital improvement contributions)
2010....$42 ($3.7)
2011....$40 ($2.7)
2012....$43 ($8)
2013....$48 ($11.3)
2014....$41 ($5.3)
2015....? (20.6)

I can't find Gator Booster revenue for 2015 as they haven't published it yet and although the UAA has released 2015 financials I think most of Gator Booster revenue is buried in the ticket revenue number.

The lions share 80% of booster donations come from "football related contributions". Some portion of that, maybe most of it, is the required per seat booster contribution when you buy season tickets as a peon or as a Bull Gator.

Some interesting notes from the financial reports
  • In 2011, football related contributions decreased by $1.2 million due to slower than normal season ticket renewals, as well as booster attrition in the top donor club levels. The uncertainty of the economy has played a major role in our fans ability to have discretionary income. In 2010, football related contributions increased by $2.7 million due to per seat ticket price increases, luxury seating area price increases and booster club level increases.
  • The increase in 2013 is due to the final implementation of a scheduled increase in booster contribution requirements. The 2012 decrease is due to booster attrition in the top donor club levels.
  • The decrease in 2014 is due to booster attrition in the top donor club levels. The 2013 increase is due to the final implementation of a scheduled increase in booster contribution requirements.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So you're saying all we get for the offseason is some 3* donkey balls? And even those are probably over rated?

... Wobble told me 3* donkey balls fall through the cracks.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We are 15th in assistant pay and 18th in facilities. I wonder if that corresponds to recruiting. :scratchchin:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ressive-facilities-in-college-football/page/9

Interestingly we are 6th in the SEC in assistant pay and 5th in facilities. Somewhere else I posted our average recruit star ratings in the SEC for the last 4-5 years and coinicedntally we clocked in somewhere around 7th.

This article is from 2013... I wonder where we stand now with some of the upgrades other schools have done, but also us adding the IPF.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Buncha damned fanatics.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Possible targets for Florida secondary coach

By Brady Ackerman on January 17, 2016

Florida secondary coach Kirk Callahan was dismissed Friday, and this is a position that Gators coach Jim McElwain must fill sooner rather than later.

The main criteria for the next guy will be “top-flight recruiter.” Not having a secondary coach could affect recruiting now. The secondary coach at most schools is a top recruiter.

Here is a short list of potential targets.

Corey Raymond, LSU secondary coach.This is the name being thrown out there the most. But he’s a long shot. He is considered one of the best at his spot and to land a guy from the “other” DBU would be a nice pick-up. But Raymond is an LSU alum, is one of the highest-paid secondary coaches in the nation and basically would command a coordinator’s salary.

Deshea Townsend, Mississippi State secondary coach. He has been an SEC assistant for three years and is building a nice coaching résumé after a strong NFL career. He is regarded as a fine recruiter and would not be as pricey as Raymond. One thing that might keep Townsend in Starkville is that though he played at Alabama, he is from Mississippi and seems to be entrenched there.

Corey Bell, FAU secondary coach. Bell has ties to Gators assistant Randy Shannon, having worked with him at Miami. His secondary this season had 14 interceptions (including one in an OT loss at Florida) and 46 pass breakups. He is a terrific recruiter, but is mostly a south Florida guy, the territory currently manned by Shannon. If UF decides it needs another south Florida recruiter, he is the perfect fit.

Patrick Surtain, coach at Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage. Surtain, a former longtime NFL cornerback, recently was promoted to coach at American Heritage, which is a small-school power in Florida. He also would be a south Florida recruiter. He was promoted after American Heritage coach Mike Rumph was hired by new Miami coach Mark Richt; Rumph will be cornerback coach at UM.

Torrian Gray, Virginia Tech secondary coach. He’s been a Hokies assistant coach since 2006 and also is a Virginia Tech alum. New coach Justin Fuente has kept him on staff, but Gray — a native of Lakeland, Fla. — may be looking to move. He has overseen some excellent secondaries and some top-flight defensive backs at Virginia Tech.

The Gators already have felt the repercussions on the recruiting trail. The secondary that returns is loaded with talent, but UF must build depth in this recruiting cycle.

(You can follow Brady Ackerman on Twitter @Brady

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So basically fau's db coach or a hs coach. Tough decision, atleast the surtain was a badass corner in the league.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Surtain's boy is a recruit this year or next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator