Grier transfers to WVU

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OK, well I sure hope Johnny Appleseed or The Wonderer is as good as Grier then....

Like that has anything to do with Grier himself... but yes, please continue to change the argument as you have all this discussion. Grier didn't prove anything definitive, but yet you keep making it sound like he was already one of the great SEC quarterbacks on the rise without the data.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its been a while now and Grier hasnt surfaced. Im wondering if there is a market for a guy who has to sit out a year and a half then play 6 games before trying to go pro. Maybe there isnt at all.

He is getting news more shocking than Driskel. Im sure he thought there would be a market.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Its been a while now and Grier hasnt surfaced. Im wondering if there is a market for a guy who has to sitout a year and a half then play 6 games before trying to go pro. Maybe there isnt at all.

He is getting news mkre shockig than Driskel. Im sure e thought there would be a market.

Law, tell the truth, you're permadrunk aren't you?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Its been a while now and Grier hasnt surfaced. Im wondering if there is a market for a guy who has to sitout a year and a half then play 6 games before trying to go pro. Maybe there isnt at all.

He is getting news mkre shockig than Driskel. Im sure e thought there would be a market.

This is a major issue, being why as a head coach would you take a shot on this guy with family issues and only has to give a 6 game commitment. Why would you want to introduce this to you locker room.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Nobody loves losing and losers like TLB.

Have I told you lately that I love you

1263108112_2.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Like that has anything to do with Grier himself... but yes, please continue to change the argument as you have all this discussion. Grier didn't prove anything definitive, but yet you keep making it sound like he was already one of the great SEC quarterbacks on the rise without the data.
Where did I say he was one of the great SEC QB's? I said he made some nice throws in games against SEC competition and some came at clutch times. He also picked up numerous 1st downs with his feet which to me shows he had a calm head in stressful situations and a feel for when a play wasn't going to work. Again these things don't come naturally to all QB's and especially against SEC competition....See Driskel looked like Joe Montana this past year going against lessor competition. Do you think he would have looked that good playing here? Some guys have it and some guys don't. BTW, other than Coker and Brandon Allen who do you think was a better QB in the SEC last year up to the point Grier got suspended?

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Ok here are a couple of crazy questions. If he didn't find a home would Mac allow him to come back,? Better yet, would Gator Nation and Gator Chatter welcome him back?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok here are a couple of crazy questions. If he didn't find a home would Mac allow him to come back,? Better yet, would Gator Nation and Gator Chatter welcome him back?
Mac might, but I think we've moved on in planning, so it's possible he doesn't.
I'd say the vast majority would not take him back.

This won't happen though, not even a remote chance. It would actually make the most sense for him to go juco, at least he'll be able to continue playing through that time period.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

Why would we welcome him back after he stabbed us in the back!

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I am not suggesting that we welcome him back, all I am saying is what if. What if the two transfers stink it up? What if he realizes that he made a mistake? What if......

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Why would we welcome him back after he stabbed us in the back!
How in the hell did he stab us in the back? He took a risk to better his body, or enlarge his d!ck, and we're still not sure which one at this point.....Neither is stabbing anyone in the back!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Where did I say he was one of the great SEC QB's? I said he made some nice throws in games against SEC competition and some came at clutch times. He also picked up numerous 1st downs with his feet which to me shows he had a calm head in stressful situations and a feel for when a play wasn't going to work. Again these things don't come naturally to all QB's and especially against SEC competition....See Driskel looked like Joe Montana this past year going against lessor competition. Do you think he would have looked that good playing here? Some guys have it and some guys don't. BTW, other than Coker and Brandon Allen who do you think was a better QB in the SEC last year up to the point Grier got suspended?

So Driskel looked great against lesser competition... you mean like New Mexico State, East Carolina Pirates, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee? He played well against lesser talent. Are you saying that New Mexico, East Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, etc are as talent as we are? He made some nice throws, he also made throws that would have pick 6'ed by LSU, FSU, Alabama, Michigan... He made some clutch throws, but he also made throws that would have been costly against equal talent. Would it be nice to have him for depth as he missed the first 6 games of this season, no doubt. But that doesn't mean he was going to be great, or even contribute this year. So we are still judging Grier on what he did against the weakest part of schedule against other SEC quarterbacks. What team did Grier play that was good as LSU at home, Alabama, FSU, or Michigan? A streaking Ole Miss team who lost to Memphis?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So Driskel looked great against lesser competition... you mean like New Mexico State, East Carolina Pirates, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee? He played well against lesser talent. Are you saying that New Mexico, East Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, etc are as talent as we are? He made some nice throws, he also made throws that would have pick 6'ed by LSU, FSU, Alabama, Michigan... He made some clutch throws, but he also made throws that would have been costly against equal talent. Would it be nice to have him for depth as he missed the first 6 games of this season, no doubt. But that doesn't mean he was going to be great, or even contribute this year. So we are still judging Grier on what he did against the weakest part of schedule against other SEC quarterbacks. What team did Grier play that was good as LSU at home, Alabama, FSU, or Michigan? A streaking Ole Miss team who lost to Memphis?
And finished ahead of LSU? We would have won the LSU game with Grier and most likely the FSU game....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And finished ahead of LSU? We would have won the LSU game with Grier and most likely the FSU game....

You assume, but how easily would it have been for some of those throws he was able to force into coverage against teams like ECU, New Mexico, Tennessee would have been picked off by better defenses. How many times would he have been on his back against an FSU team that admitted not rushing the passer when they knew they could dominated our offensive line? You making assumptions on data we don't have. What we do know is he looked good against Lesser talented teams, and was pulled due to play against ECU (forcing too many throws), and his last game (Missouri) looked like he and the offense had regressed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not suggesting that we welcome him back, all I am saying is what if. What if the two transfers stink it up? What if he realizes that he made a mistake? What if......

It doesn't matter what we think, it depends if he and his family burnt the bridge on his way out with the staff and administration.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Crap happens all the time. Great coaches overcome these issues. They just do. I just feel like our fanbase is way too attached to excuse syndrome. It's been going on for far too long. Mac will succeed or he won't. Grier isn't going to make or break him. That's just stupid.

2017 will be make or break for McElwain. Grier and this situation should have no real bearing on it. It is a done issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.