Grier transfers to WVU

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
I keep seeing people say Champ recruited better... Can someone please enlighten me how we came to that conclusion? I would love to hear thoughts on this!

Just for clarification are we saying Higher Recruiting Service rankings= better class?

I do not come on message boards to argue. I enjoy different perspectives so feel free to share!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure who's said that, but put me on record as saying chump recruited like hot garbage. 15 4* DBs does not a successful class make.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Chump had high ranking, uneven classes. Didn't recruit down linemen well at all.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Breaking news : Grier and Dad are looking at the University of Phoenix
'cause they have the best stadium.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I keep seeing people say Champ recruited better... Can someone please enlighten me how we came to that conclusion? I would love to hear thoughts on this!

Just for clarification are we saying Higher Recruiting Service rankings= better class?
Well, Chimp certainly recruited MOSTLY 4 and 5 star kids, though less than Creyer and Zook. However, Chimp had some terribly uneven classes, and failed to recruit several positions adequately, specifically all offense positions and DT and LB. But other than that, he was great.

Mac recruits MOSTLY 3 star kids and still can't recruit DT or enough OL or LB. :banghead::dunno:

:waiting:

I do not come on message boards to argue.
Come on, man. That's what we are here for. The sarcasm is a free, value-added service.

Hang out, say funny stuff, we'll try to say funny stuff back, make fun of Jay and I, and bring all your friends.

:chomp:

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's official...he's going to play for the chump again. Rumor is he was promised the starting job as soon as he's eligible again in 2020.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I would've thought he'd be transferred by now. He's going to miss spring ball, where he would have a lot of reps in a new offense. His next two seasons are toast. He better go to JC if he wants to make it anywhere.
He may be wasting his career. Why? Because he's mad at UF? LOL! Dumb kid. He could have been so good even missing first half of the Gators 2016 season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Other top teams have had offenses drop off and still brought in top offensive recruits when they hired a new coach. Mac needs to up his recruiting game some besides showing a decent offense this season.
Exactly. Look at auburn. There's no excuse for recruiting that bad.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Other top teams have had offenses drop off and still brought in top offensive recruits when they hired a new coach. Mac needs to up his recruiting game some besides showing a decent offense this season.

Did you happen to take a peek at our offensive recruits? He DID bring in TOP OFFENSIVE recruits. Though I wish we had grabbed another OL we did bring in a stellar offensive class.

The drop off was on the defensive side of the ball. Hope they get that fixed this year!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. Look at auburn. There's no excuse for recruiting that bad.

I heard a lot of top tier recruits didn't want to come because they were afraid T was going to make them star in "T's Home movies" in Williston.. who wants to go to Williston?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I heard a lot of top tier recruits didn't want to come because they were afraid T was going to make them star in "T's Home movies" in Williston.. who wants to go to Williston?

WillistonGator says ..........:sadnanner:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The three legs of the football program stool are head coach, facilities and assistant pay.
Changing one of the legs (coach) ain't gonna make the stool taller.
Getting a new carpenter (Foley) will.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Did you happen to take a peek at our offensive recruits? He DID bring in TOP OFFENSIVE recruits. Though I wish we had grabbed another OL we did bring in a stellar offensive class.

The drop off was on the defensive side of the ball. Hope they get that fixed this year!

What do you consider stellar? Where would you put our offensive class recruiting this year as far as the rankings go? You really think its about where it should be besides lacking another OL?

To me it seemed we just loaded up on WRs (which is good).

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2/3 stars is the new standard around here for the pumpers bc you know we got the really good three stars who are WAAAAAAY better than Vandy and Kintucky's three stars.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't have a beef with the offensive recruits we brought in especially considering the total offensive collapse we had the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season. We could have gotten 1 more offensive lineman but at least the ones we got are all at D1 playing size coming in,300# plus. Remember we got 2 very good backs that are in line with a downhill running attack, one of which appears to be a feature caliber RB. We brought in a highly rated, yet very raw QB and as you mentioned a squad of WR's. The only other spot I would have liked to see addressed is a brute sized TE,250-260#, however those beast don't exactly grow on trees.....As mentioned our defensive class sucked balls...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have a beef with the offensive recruits we brought in especially considering the total offensive collapse we had the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season. We could have gotten 1 more offensive lineman but at least the ones we got are all at D1 playing size coming in,300# plus. Remember we got 2 very good backs that are in line with a downhill running attack, one of which appears to be a feature caliber RB. We brought in a highly rated, yet very raw QB and as you mentioned a squad of WR's. The only other spot I would have liked to see addressed is a brute sized TE,250-260#, however those beast don't exactly grow on trees.....As mentioned our defensive class sucked balls...

I agree the defense was the big disappointment this season. I just don't like seeing our competitors above us on the top recruits by position list on most things except WR.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What do you consider stellar? Where would you put our offensive class recruiting this year as far as the rankings go? You really think its about where it should be besides lacking another OL?

To me it seemed we just loaded up on WRs (which is good).

Seriously? Man, you must really be seeing the glass half empty. As I said, I was disappointed with our overall defensive recruiting. But think objectively for a moment about offense.

- 4* QB who was a long time committ to LSU flipped to UF.

- Four 4* receivers, three of which are EE's, the value of which cannot be overestimated, as this was clearly a huge weakness. The other was a last minute flip and ranked the number two WR in the NATION. Another 4* JC WR who possesses elite speed. Total of FIVE 4* WR's to fill a huge weakness on O.

- Two elite 4* RB's. One was ranked NUMBER ONE JC running back in the nation. The other, an Alabama native was being personally recruited by Saban and bama and he choose UF anyway.

- I am pleased with the quality of OL we got. Three really good ones. One EE which may pay dividends in the Fall. I would have rather we signed at least one more, preferably two. But at least we have numbers on the OL again, though they'll still be really young next year.

- the NUMBER ONE kicker in the country who we flipped from bama. Yes, I count that as offense, especially considering the number of points we missed out on over the years with Hardin. Hell! Mac almost completely quit even ATTEMPTING FG's the last few games of the season. That has to greatly impact offensive game planning not to mention just being COMPLETELY demoralizing.

- We missed at TE which really sucks. But we have numbers there right now. We'll need to land a couple there next year and hopefully at least one will be elite.

Basically our misses were one TE and one OL. Considering how absolutely pathetic our O looked the second half of the season, I thought Mac did a stellar job recruiting offensive recruits and selling them on what his offense "could" look like.

I don't know how you look at that offensive class not be impressed with what he was able to put together. Unless of course, you say it was incomplete in the absence on another OL. We didn't really NEED a TE in this class so I say, two more, even one more really good OL and I would've given it an A+. As is I give it an A or A- at the very least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.