If not Mullen who?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks for your service.

I like the Mullen Pick.

My choice would have been Charlie Strong with Kerwin Bell as OC but that would NEVER happen.

I hope all the Debbie Downers own up to it after this year. IMHO, we are on the way up.

I was literally sick the day they announced Mullen. I hated the pick. I wanted Frost like many others did. That being said, I have started to like what Mullen is doing and his energy is contagious. I see a complete 180 change in the team and how they have responded. They "appear" to have much more confidence and are much stronger. If he gets them to really believe they can win, the sky's the limit. If he wins, I could care less how much he is getting paid. Now, lets see the product on the field.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wow, so you want to be just like UTenn then? who settles for coordinators to run their program? I would much rather have someone with NC winning experience along with SEC HC experience, but that's just me....He hasn't even coached a single down yet, lets cut him just a smidge of slack before we grab the pitch forks and torches...

Tennessee? They hired Dooley, Kiffin, and Butch. All had prior head coaching experience. Other than Fulmer, Pruitt is their first coordinator in 4 hires. Bad analogy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Moorehead has 4 years of college head coach experience. Plus he saved Franklin's ass at PSU.

I didn't particularly like the Mullen hire, but I was more upset with his assistant hires.

Frost was my choice....after we missed on him there weren't many real options.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We paid Butters $12 mil to make it his last season here.
Let's offer somebody $12 mil first season, then $6 mil thereafter. (And, of course, slip a lower buyout in there.)
Besides if an HC focuses too much on the fail end, is that a super-confident attitude?:cool:

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I was told I could not be taken seriously here if:

• I considered Mullen an Excellent Coach
  • Or a Good Recruiter
So I propose to ...Chatter (Becoming a very nice Forum by the way)

You are now the AD at UF, who is your your pick for HC of Football?

Not so fast.

He/She MUST:
  • Be willing to come to UF - FROST is out
  • Not break the bank
  • Should have HC experience - Preferably D-1
  • Should at least know something about the Gator Nation (Not easy to please)
  • I'll wave Offense vs Defense
  • I'll wave must have coached in the SEC
  • You can keep Mullen
Willie Taggart
Mario Cristobal
Lane Kiffin

In that order

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I didn’t want Mullen or Kelly - I wanted Frost. It’s impossible to know if any of the rest would have worked out. How many SunBelt or American Conference types have flopped? How many coordinators have flopped? Mullen checks a lot of criteria boxes and I like what he’s done (other than the 2019 class YTD.)

And I swear some people jump on a guy based on a good 6-week run (Babers.)

But we’ve been around this merry-go-round several times the last 10 months. It’s almost time to start finding out.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I agree Frost, Peterson, and Chip were not coming here.

It doesn't matter that we are paying Muschamp or Butters those are sunkin costs. That can't be part of your rational for purchase, if it is you should be fired.

The question is the ROI on Mullins at $6 / year, better than the ROI of say Novell at $4.5/year (example). Mullins has a extended history as a head coach, so we know whom he is as a head coach, that isn't going to change. He is a guy that is good, maybe very good but not elite.

MSU under Mullins wasn't going to compete for an SEC West title on a regular basis. He got lucky that LSU AD can't get out of their own way in hiring coaches, TA&M hasn't realize the strength of the their resources (still haven't hiring Jimbo), and Auburn can't get out its own way.

If he wins 8-10 games, then he would have done the bare minimum for what is expected with this schedule, if we see the same product here he had at MSU then we have a failed hire. There is too much talent in the state of Florida to be happy with 8-10 wins with a 12/13 game schedule. That means out of 13/14 games (including bowl game). We were only the best team a little over 66% of the time at best, and the best team a little over 57% of the time at worse with at least 4 paycheck gimmie games. That's a failure at UF.

So winning 8-10 games is bare minimum? you serious clark??? This whole site would be kissing his hair bean bag if he wins 10 games this year.

And it does matter about Muschdump and Butters buyouts when you are writing into contracts other pay entitlements, not just base salary. Instead of paying that money to them, Mullens/Strick could have had that extra resource at thier disposal to go and hire better coordinators/recruiters. Thats why Urbs could go and get the best coordinators and recruiters at that time because he had every resource at his disposal, (Im sure Zooklanders buyout was no where near both Mushdump and Butters, combined) And how does one become Elite? was Saban elite in 06-08 at Bama? Nope. He only became Elite by surrounding himself with the best coordinators/recruiters out there.

My point is lets give him a chance, let him get his players, coaches, recruiters in here with the resources he needs, and not pigeon hole him like Fooley would do to the program in the past. He understands the GatorNation and what we demand, and that is Championships. He knows what it takes to win 'chips, from game week prep to practice to player management. I think he is extremely focused on what has to happen in order for us to return to Atlanta. I mean at least he puts together coherent sentences in his pressures.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The ham sammich option would have been better than the last 2 shoulder coaches, (they sucked so bad they don't deserve to be called head coaches.

Basically GatorJ's list.

Mullens will stop the ship from sinking farther, TBD to if can steer it to the CFP port.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Tennessee? They hired Dooley, Kiffin, and Butch. All had prior head coaching experience. Other than Fulmer, Pruitt is their first coordinator in 4 hires. Bad analogy.
And I was referring to their current hire, not their previous. where UTenn settled on Pruitt, as they didn't want to pay the Jimbo money for Frost, Kelly or Patterson. So they went the coordinator route, They settled for mediocre. I hope and pray we are are better than mediocre as a program.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Kiffin - Really?

If a spead Its Mullen

Now an Air Raid Coach would intrigue me
If he would quit acting like a child he's a great coach and recruiter. Mullen doesn't run a spread offense like you see a bunch of teams run today. He runs a spread option like Meyer . All 3 of those coaches can recruit. That's what we need right now. Taggart would be the best fit because he's rebuilt 3 programs and is a ace recruiter. He's already got FSU in a position to land a top 5 class and a legit shot of landing the 247 #1 player THIBODEAUX.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm fully in the wait and see camp. I haven't bagged on him at all. If he can win some games against ranked teams I'll rethink my tune that this was a desperate hire.

Worst winning % vs ranked teams while ranked in AP history. That's unacceptable and will get him fired in 3 years here.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Where we really **** the bed is when we didn't get Petersen instead of Old Hee Haw.

I'll give Cousin Eddie a shot. He's got a pb & j stained mess to clean up.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He/She MUST:
  • Not break the bank

Right that is where you run into all kinds of trouble here and RIGHTLY SO. The decision to hire Meyer and snub Spurrier probably cost UF $100 million in the last decade. So breaking the bank needs to be a comprehensive analysis of what a coach costs in net not just what their salary is. A great coach bring more into the University than they cost. UF's last several coaches have cost more than they brought in.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted Frost and was disappointed we didn’t get him. After him, I would have hired Petrino. I know,I know...but the guy would’ve made decent hires and immediately turned the offense around. With no sure fire coaches available (Meyer, Saban, Dabo, Peterson), we didn’t have a ton of great options.
Mullen will make us better, but I don’t think he has the recruiting skills to return us to the elite program we once were.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Where we really **** the bed is when we didn't get Petersen instead of Old Hee Haw.

I'll give Cousin Eddie a shot. He's got a pb & j stained mess to clean up.
Or Franklin. That was the one we missed our chance on IMO. Waited a year too long to fire Chump.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Notice that Donkers doesn't give us names of coaches that he wants. When pressed before many times and avoided the question. I was hoping for Frost or Norvell so we will see what Mullen can do...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Frankly we dont have any way to look down on them or anyone else We are just as pathetic as they are and both teams are cupcake matches for any real contenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator