If not Mullen who?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My opinion is that while we did need to get the right hire, after the least two debacles, it was absolutely imperative that we didn't get the wrong hire. In that respect, I'm ok with Mullen because I personally do think that he will excel at a place like UF as opposed to Msu, and there isn't the unknown of the previous two hires. That being said, where it goes off the rails, in my view, is the price we paid. If he turns out to be the mediocre coach we think he may be, we're stuck. All due to the financial commitment.

As for other names, along with several here, I liked Norvell. But I'm also willing to admit that his approach to defense, and his being relatively unknown presented some definite risks. Likewise with Campbell. And again, I just don't think we could afford to swing and miss a third straight time. Would've like seeing us take a shot at them though.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
First call is Chris Petersen. We could have gotten Norvell for half the cost of Mullen, but he would have needed a very good DC.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
And I was referring to their current hire, not their previous. where UTenn settled on Pruitt, as they didn't want to pay the Jimbo money for Frost, Kelly or Patterson. So they went the coordinator route, They settled for mediocre. I hope and pray we are are better than mediocre as a program.

Or maybe they were trying to get a Kirby Smart hire? And, to be fair, they did have a very proven head coach hired until the activists cried about it (Shiano). So, again, bad analogy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
First call is Chris Petersen. We could have gotten Norvell for half the cost of Mullen, but he would have needed a very good DC.
You dont think Mullinz needs a very good DC? Hell he needs it more than a guy who can actually score points.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is tough because what our wish list is doesn't necessarily mean that any of them are attainable. We would have had Frost if not for Nebraska...Nebraska new this and that's why they made the move to fire their coach now vs most likely giving him another year. Petersen would be great but he's a NW guy and not likely to leave a very good program and getting paid a good amount to come to UF. Who else is there really? Take a shot on a coach from a lesser program and hope they do good and not bomb or go with Mullen who will imo at the very least make us competitive and in a much better position to land a better coach if he doesn't work out. Mullen is sort of the "safer" hire in that i don't think we'll ever come close to winning only 4 games in a year again but I'm not sure he'll get us to a championship. I don't remember what was realistically available in 2011 when we hired that knuckledragger muschamp but I still maintain Mullen would have been the right hire then if we were going all the way down to that dip****. Would have been a much better fit and kept our program at least operating the same.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen higher floor low ceiling.

I'd swing for the fences. We've done the conservative thing three of the last four hires.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen higher floor low ceiling.

I'd swing for the fences. We've done the conservative thing three of the last four hires.
God God, you are all over the map, from here back to 11/02/17. Just stop posting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
God God, you are all over the map, from here back to 11/02/17. Just stop posting.
:goon:

I'm going to ride you even harder as your current QB Whisperer fails than I did with your last one.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Or maybe they were trying to get a Kirby Smart hire? And, to be fair, they did have a very proven head coach hired until the activists cried about it (Shiano). So, again, bad analogy.
So they got who they wanted then?? Or did they get their 5th,6th, 7th choice? Schiano was not a proven HC just a DC.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I was told I could not be taken seriously here if:

• I considered Mullen an Excellent Coach
  • Or a Good Recruiter
So I propose to ...Chatter (Becoming a very nice Forum by the way)

You are now the AD at UF, who is your your pick for HC of Football?

Not so fast.

He/She MUST:
  • Be willing to come to UF - FROST is out
  • Not break the bank
  • Should have HC experience - Preferably D-1
  • Should at least know something about the Gator Nation (Not easy to please)
  • I'll wave Offense vs Defense
  • I'll wave must have coached in the SEC
  • You can keep Mullen

Well as I said earlier bullet point 2 was your mistake. But the obvious hire given UF's situation the last two times, good defense but lacking in offense was Spurrier.

1. He would have come, heck he took another job

2. He would not have broken the bank, he never has squeezed as much as he could get out of schools.

3. He has experience

4. He clearly knows something about the Gator Nation.

5. He knows a thing about offense and how to turn defense over to assistants.

6. He has coached in the SEC.

7. He would be a better choice than Mullen though not a long term solution, but then again as we have discovered coaches don't last as long as we think.

The fly in the ointment here was of course again Foley. This move would have made everyone pro-Stricklin and Foley could not tolerated that even for an off-season even if Spurrier were ultimately not have success in a second time around.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Are we playing wayback machine? Because if we are I'd go back to 2007 and start making a list. NC winning coaches tend to move around especially carpet baggers. I would have been ready the day Meyer quit for the first time.
The fact is what's past is past. The more interesting question is if Mullen gets hit by a bus at the end of the season who do we go after.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Schiano isn't a proven head coach? I'm done with this "discussion".
In the SEC??? No. What has he done as a HC? Recruiting? He was 68-67 at Rutgers and 11-21 for the Bucs. But I guess that’s “proven” in some people’s eyes. Not too mention all the off field issues he has. I’m sure you’re right I’m sure he was their first choice, hands down

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
We sure do set our bar low around here these days, but I digress.

I would have called Chris Peterson, Mike Norvell, Jeff Brohm, probably would have called Chip Kelly just because, you had to, and maybe a couple of others. I would have rather taken a chance on someone like Norvell for the amount of money we're paying Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.