Is Scarlett Gone?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And if he can't pay it goes to small claims and he gets a judgement against him. I'm sure he's really concerned about it if he's being kicked out of UF
Why are you acting like being kicked out of college trumps any kind of legal ramifications?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No, those would be subleases or a sublet.

The lease would be for the entire property, the 4 bedroom apartment in this case. A sublease, or sublet, would be the individual rooms. A sublease is of property to a subtenant.

This is my experience in G'ville for roughly 10yrs across a half dozen apt complexes. You rent the whole place, and if you have roommates you sublet those rooms. I've never experienced what chferg is stating, though I assumed that might be the case for athletic dorms where they have individual rooms and a common area.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Why are you acting like being kicked out of college trumps any kind of legal ramifications?

Let me try and explain what I'm saying a little bit. The OPs premise was that he was being kicked out of school hence him trying to sublet his apartment. I think that a kid that was just kicked out of school for either felonious or close to felonious activities doesn't really give a crap if some apartment is going to sue him over rent money.
I think he's still in school and is going to be a part of the team and is having to do some things to get back in good graces. One of which is to probably move back on campus or as law says away from Calloway.

And I still stand by the fact that if he had just got dismissed from the team and kicked out of
UF he really isn't gonna care about the rent.

Sep 29, 2015
Let me try and explain what I'm saying a little bit. The OPs premise was that he was being kicked out of school hence him trying to sublet his apartment. I think that a kid that was just kicked out of school for either felonious or close to felonious activities doesn't really give a crap if some apartment is going to sue him over rent money.
I think he's still in school and is going to be a part of the team and is having to do some things to get back in good graces. One of which is to probably move back on campus or as law says away from Calloway.

And I still stand by the fact that if he had just got dismissed from the team and kicked out of

I agree. I would expect that most likely the landlord would take his last month's rent and security deposit and be content losing out on a few months' rent while trying to re-let it.

BigClawsBrother

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2017
I lived in Gainesville in 2015 before work took me elsewhere and me and my girl paid 1200 for a one bedroom apartment. It was very nice but it’s not cheap to rent in Gainesville if you wanna live somewhere nice.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks for the explanation but I completely disagree. To address the different scenarios you've mentioned, I would think that a kid being kicked out of school for felony actions doesn't want any other kind of judgements against him. Perhaps it's also being told that he can't have any other judgements to keep his current penalties lower.

If he's being told to move back on campus, then I don't think simply telling your current landlord to pound sand is going to cut it.

However, your original statement was why would he care about his credit, as in what Equifax says when he buys his next car, but that's not the issue here.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Jebus dude, if you are in a contractual agreement for an apartment, it ain't the credit score you'd worry about, it's the financial implications that you'd be on the hook for. That or court.

Which would be low on your priority list, if he is in fact charged with a felony paying his rent or going to civil court would not be much of a consideration.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Which would be low on your priority list, if he is in fact charged with a felony paying his rent or going to civil court would not be much of a consideration.
Right. I'm sure his Lawyer would be giving him this same advice.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Right. I'm sure his Lawyer would be giving him this same advice.

Perhaps Alex the Gator could post something about the potential priorities. If you are in prison for say 5 years a civil judgement is basically nothing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Each room is a separate lease therefore he couldn't rent it out.

Also, due to that, it doesn't cost the other three any money as each lease for each room.

Keep dreaming man, that's his room

I'm sorry, I had to come back to this after my last statement as this simply doesn't make sense. I get the premise, but if I'm hearing it correctly from chferg, his experience is that the apartment building owns the apartment overall and will lease out individual rooms. If that is true, who in their right mind will sign a contractual lease whereby they 'own' a bedroom, but have to share a living room, dining area, and kitchen, as well as any limited parking spots, with any random person off the street that signs a lease for the other room? Why would anyone by tied to a bedroom when they have absolutely no say in who they share the rest of the apartment with?

With dorms, you fill out a questionnaire and they assign you a roommate based on your interests and theirs. With athletic dorms, you are assigned a roommate, but you know it is someone on your team. With an apartment, it's a business, and I can't see the complex doing single room leases like this. They want quiet, peaceful tenants they can count on. A proposition like chferg invites the opportunity for tenants who don't get along, and can destroy the building with fights in an effort to get at one another.

This simply doesn't make sense.

Chferg, can you advise as to what apartment complex would have actually employed this single room lease plan?

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My gawd we have fallen off the face of the earth. It's the day before an SEC game and one of our more active threads is focused on the definition of an apartment sublease.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'm sorry, I had to come back to this after my last statement as this simply doesn't make sense. I get the premise, but if I'm hearing it correctly from chferg, his experience is that the apartment building owns the apartment overall and will lease out individual rooms. If that is true, who in their right mind will sign a contractual lease whereby they 'own' a bedroom, but have to share a living room, dining area, and kitchen, as well as any limited parking spots, with any random person off the street that signs a lease for the other room? Why would anyone by tied to a bedroom when they have absolutely no say in who they share the rest of the apartment with?

With dorms, you fill out a questionnaire and they assign you a roommate based on your interests and theirs. With athletic dorms, you are assigned a roommate, but you know it is someone on your team. With an apartment, it's a business, and I can't see the complex doing single room leases like this. They want quiet, peaceful tenants they can count on. A proposition like chferg invites the opportunity for tenants who don't get along, and can destroy the building with fights in an effort to get at one another.

This simply doesn't make sense.

Chferg, can you advise as to what apartment complex would have actually employed this single room lease plan?

If you'd like I can forward you my signed lease for the apartment complex at Cape Trails in Cape Girardeau, Missouri where I went to school.

In this instance you mentioned, it was exactly the thing that happened to me and my roommate(s). We had four people signed up and put on the leases that we wanted to be in the same apartment suite, two dropped out on us and it left us with just him and I. Instead of being on the hook for the two other roommates we were assigned random roommates who were in the same boat as us thus we lived with two strangers. One a masters student from California and the other a bum from Chicago. The bum from Chicago ended up not paying his rent and getting evicted from the place. Again, we were not on the hook for his individual lease.

http://capetrailsapartments.com/

EDIT: Also, before you ask or make this statement; even though it says student living, anyone can apply and live there

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If that is true, who in their right mind will sign a contractual lease whereby they 'own' a bedroom, but have to share a living room, dining area, and kitchen, as well as any limited parking spots, with any random person off the street that signs a lease for the other room? Why would anyone by tied to a bedroom when they have absolutely no say in who they share the rest of the apartment with?
It's extremely common, and as a matter of fact is the majority these days. Most kids get together who are friends, then go sign individuals leases together so they get a 2, 3, or 4 bedroom and they are all buddies. But many just sign a room lease and meet the people they are sharing an apt with on move in day. The apt complex will do their best to accommodate individuals requests but if you are just looking for a single room and aren't signing with a group of friends, you get stuck in a room wherever they need to fill one. I did this, and had literally dozens of friends who did the same. Some of my closest and now lifelong college buds were met under this specific scenario. I did this at countryside inn as well as woodlawn villas. As to your question about the rationale, it is much less expensive to sign a lease on a room as part of a 3 or 4 bedroom than it is a 1 or 2. The more bedrooms for the apt, the cheaper each room lease is, and the difference is often very significant. A lot of kids, myself included at the time, who didnt really know anyone and didn't have much money, had to suck it up and hope that you got assigned some decent roommates. I always had good experiences, but had friends that didn't always have the same.

One low percentage benefit of this is occasionally you may get put in a 3 or 4 bedroom apt but not all rooms get filled. The doors to the unoccupied rooms will remain locked, but considering they are usually standard bedroom doors, and the complex doesn't do room checks, a little lock picking and now youve got a spare bedroom or extra space for whatever you please. I never had this happen but had a close friend in a 3 bedroom that did. Her and her roommate turned it into a guest room and id crash in there if we were partying and i didnt want to drive home.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
It's extremely common, and as a matter of fact is the majority these days. Most kids get together who are friends, then go sign individuals leases together so they get a 2, 3, or 4 bedroom and they are all buddies. But many just sign a room lease and meet the people they are sharing an apt with on move in day. The apt complex will do their best to accommodate individuals requests but if you are just looking for a single room and aren't signing with a group of friends, you get stuck in a room wherever they need to fill one. I did this, and had literally dozens of friends who did the same. Some of my closest and now lifelong college buds were met under this specific scenario. I did this at countryside inn as well as woodlawn villas. As to your question about the rationale, it is much less expensive to sign a lease on a room as part of a 3 or 4 bedroom than it is a 1 or 2. The more bedrooms for the apt, the cheaper each room lease is, and the difference is often very significant. A lot of kids, myself included at the time, who didnt really know anyone and didn't have much money, had to suck it up and hope that you got assigned some decent roommates. I always had good experiences, but had friends that didn't always have the same.

One low percentage benefit of this is occasionally you may get put in a 3 or 4 bedroom apt but not all rooms get filled. The doors to the unoccupied rooms will remain locked, but considering they are usually standard bedroom doors, and the complex doesn't do room checks, a little lock picking and now youve got a spare bedroom or extra space for whatever you please. I never had this happen but had a close friend in a 3 bedroom that did. Her and her roommate turned it into a guest room and id crash in there if we were partying and i didnt want to drive home.

Thanks DSS, I think people were literally think I was making **** up about my own personal experience.

You're right about the lock picking, once the bum moved out, we literally had a spare bedroom for people who didn't want to drive home after partying.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why anyone is having a hard time believing or understanding it. Maybe we are young and they are older and apts didnt rent like that back then but Im almost 40, and went to college at the end of the 90s / beginning of 2000s so its not like some new development.

There's also basically zero difference to this as to living in the dorms. You show up and meet the person(s) you are rooming with on moving day quite often, and in the dorms, you may not only be living with strangers, but you may even be sleeping in the same room. If anything, this apartment situation is a much better and more personal space / additional privacy option than many dorm rooms offer. You have your own room, own bathroom. You just share a kitchen and living room.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If you'd like I can forward you my signed lease for the apartment complex at Cape Trails in Cape Girardeau, Missouri where I went to school.

In this instance you mentioned, it was exactly the thing that happened to me and my roommate(s). We had four people signed up and put on the leases that we wanted to be in the same apartment suite, two dropped out on us and it left us with just him and I. Instead of being on the hook for the two other roommates we were assigned random roommates who were in the same boat as us thus we lived with two strangers. One a masters student from California and the other a bum from Chicago. The bum from Chicago ended up not paying his rent and getting evicted from the place. Again, we were not on the hook for his individual lease.

http://capetrailsapartments.com/

EDIT: Also, before you ask or make this statement; even though it says student living, anyone can apply and live there

Great for you, apparently we learn something new every day. Now I do wonder how prevalent this sort of lease is. It would seem to be somewhat more risky for both from a business point of view.

A brief search yielded these links

https://www.forrentuniversity.com/individual-lease

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/individual-lease-mean-2-bedroom-apartment-100732.html

It seems like something new and for some a good idea.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Its more common than any other type of college apartment rental. As a matter of fact, there's almost no college apartment complex's that don't rent this way. Just because 2 or 3 friends show up together and sign leases, doesn't mean they aren't doing exactly this; from the complex's perspective there's no difference.

Most of those complex's will rent by the entire unit as well, meaning one or multiple people sign a lease agreeing to pay the full amount for the place, but most kids don't want to do that because it means everyone is on the hook for the rent regardless of whether friend johnny or roommate sally pays their share that month. If you sign up this way with 1 or 2 others, and then 1 or 2 get kicked out, fail to pay their share, or anything else, you as a signee are still obligated to ensure the lease is paid. Not a good situation because its making each responsible for the others.

Instead complex's do individual room leases for an apartment so regardless of what goes on with your roommates, you aren't stressing about it. You pay your individual portion each month and you are good to go no matter what happens to or with the other persons.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Well, my personal appreciation to chferg and DSS for enlightening me. In retrospect, I did my apartment time in my hometown and had plenty of trusted friends with whom to share a lease on a whole apartment. I hadn't faced going to college in a strange place, with no friends necessarily looking to split an apartment.

Thank you both for sharing your experience. I learned something today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.