Is the McElwain honeymoon over?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
We have a 10-1 coach, SEC East Champ, so yeah, let's fire him and find someone else. Can't believe some of these so-called Gators. Fricking disgusting.

Reread my original post where I said I do not want him fired. It is ok to be critical of his team's performance without wanting him fired (as one poster said, minimal improvement since the start of the season, regardless who is at quarterback).

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
Anyone bashing Mac is nutty

It's either bash Treon, the offensive lineman, or the coaches. Multiple games of offensive regression deserve some critical analysis of someone coaching or playing. It'd be "nutty" to keep one's mouth shut and accept this performance from half the team.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I genuinely do want to know what the difference is between 2012 and this season. Both teams had great defenses and mediocre-at-best offenses. 2012 had a better kicker (the rest of special teams evens out). Both seasons, we played down to inferior competition and won games which our stats indicated we should have had a higher likelihood of losing. The major difference I see is that this year we won the SEC East.

OK I'll give it a shot. And someone alluded to it already. In 2012 we were playing offense to the level of :kiffin:'s ability. It was obvious, to me anyway, that we would not get any better because of :kiffin:'s offensive philosophy. The offense played like an afterthought which they were. This year's team would be 2-8 under :kiffin:.
Mac brought a totally different philosophy to the offense. Notice how this year our receiver's suddenly catch anything thrown to them. Driskel sucked but he wasn't helped by his receivers. Offensively we had no confidence and that flowed down from :kiffin:. Now we are going for it on 4th down and are making it (or where with Grier). Mac wants the offense to try to win the games not TOP.
Yes we are sucking on offense this year but that is because of the limitations of Treon and even Hardin. Not because of the limitations of our coach. If and when Mac gets the right players we are going to score a lot of points. :kiffin: didn't know what to do with the right players.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac gets a pass from me this year because the dumpster fire chithole that dawgchamp left the program in. We could be 7-4 right now and the sign of offense that we've seen at times give me hope that after getting enough decent linemen, getting everyone on board with the system, we'll be a team to be reckoned with. The fact that he has managed to massage a 10-1 record with our roster (especially the Oline and QB situation) i think shows he's a competent coach. He doesn't deserve a raise nor an extension like the previous coach received too early in , but let's give him a full recruiting cycle and a chance to play his players before the final verdict is announced.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I cant believe Mac hasnt been fired already.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's either bash Treon, the offensive lineman, or the coaches. Multiple games of offensive regression deserve some critical analysis of someone coaching or playing. It'd be "nutty" to keep one's mouth shut and accept this performance from half the team.
So, your expectations were much higher at this point in the season? Please explain why...we'll be waiting for your expert analysis.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Mac has taken lemons and made lemonade. We are 10-1with a team that I'm not sure even deserves to be ranked. We haven't lost games because of bad clock management etc. etc. etc. We haven' lost games for taking chances that we shouldn't have. Quite the opposite we've won games by taking chance and executing. When we had Grier we had a glimpse of how exiting this offense wants to be. But now we have Treon and he is a HUGE limitation.
Now what would you have the coaching staff do different? Go back in time and recruit Oline?

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
So, your expectations were much higher at this point in the season? Please explain why...we'll be waiting for your expert analysis.

For win/loss record, expectations for myself and 99% of Gator fans have been far exceeded.
For offensive performance, expectations for myself and 99% of Gator fans have not been satisfied (NMSU, end of UT, and Ole Miss excluded).

In the future, this year will look pretty damn good - "First year coach and we won an SEC East title with 10 wins and a backup quarterback and very inexperienced offensive line." But in the present, this is an offensively fragile team that squeaked by FAU, and #8 teams should not have to squeak by inferior competition due to inept offense.
Do I expect our coach to turn us into an offensive juggernaut? Hell no. But do I expect offensive competence, meaning moving the ball up and down the field with semi-regularity and defeating inferior teams by more than a touchdown? Hell yes.
:grouphug:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
For win/loss record, expectations for myself and 99% of Gator fans have been far exceeded.
For offensive performance, expectations for myself and 99% of Gator fans have not been satisfied (NMSU, end of UT, and Ole Miss excluded).

In the future, this year will look pretty damn good - "First year coach and we won an SEC East title with 10 wins and a backup quarterback and very inexperienced offensive line." But in the present, this is an offensively fragile team that squeaked by FAU, and #8 teams should not have to squeak by inferior competition due to inept offense.
Do I expect our coach to turn us into an offensive juggernaut? Hell no. But do I expect offensive competence, meaning moving the ball up and down the field with semi-regularity and defeating inferior teams by more than a touchdown? Hell yes.

So your stance is that our coaching staff has been inadequate in coaching the Oline to have more experience/depth and the non-gifted QB to be taller.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Actually, Mac and staff have been very competent. They have attempted to do what they can to counter how defenses are playing Treon. Treon lacks the ability to scare defenses. He refuses to go over the middle even though our guys are open all game long. His arm strength is a joke. Therefore defenses are playing closer to the line of scrimmage which is why our run game is so much worse since Treon became QB. The staff can't create great offense if the QB sucks. They are stuck with garbage. My guess is they will try to do what they can in the off season to fix this. For this season, we are stuck.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
I don't give a **** if we win, I just want to see 30+ offensive points scored each game.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
You know what people are worried about? They are worried about a team that appears to be regressing as the season goes on. Are we going to start blaming injuries and the cupboard being bare? Those were Muschamp's excuses and we didn't accept them from him so we shouldn't accept them now either. Instead of seeing Mac upset, he's smiling and talking about selling more popcorn. Lets get down to brass tacks, the offense is as embarrassing as it was under Muschamp at this point. If the SEC East wasn't historically weak, it would be a very different picture right now.

There is no way that we should have had to scratch to win against FAU and Vandy.

Having said all that I am still a Mac supporter, still believe in him and he's the right guy, but no way do I think what is happening right now is acceptable and I am ok saying that. If all the level 35+ Gators want to rip me up for thinking that, go ahead, I'm ok with it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is why we are viewed as one of the worst/most spoiled fan bases in the country.
Kind of gives some credence to our rivals who describe us as having a Notre Dame ego and Vandy credentials! Probably a little outdated since '96, but likely testament to us forgetting just how long and painful the drive to get there was. The fall, as we found during the past six seasons, can be meteoric. I agree with whoever said we've most likely got a 10-1 coach rather than team this year. Like to think what he can do in the season's ahead with a talented, experienced, and deep roster.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Liked his press conference today. Basically said if the dead fish or governor wearers don't come alive, we'll find some kids that want to play our way with energy.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
10 wins in year one....more than Graves, SOS, Hall, or Leyer. With the hand Mac was dealt, we were going to be happy with 8-4.

Some of you numbnuts want 15-0 every ****ing year. That ain't happening.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The guy should be given a raise for the coaching job he's done this year. He has no QB, no kicker, and an O-line that's like a turnstile. For us to be 10-1 is a miracle. What do you think our record would be under the previous jackass.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm definitely sick of his post game aw shucks interviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.