Is the McElwain honeymoon over?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody that can't see Mac is a GREAT coach is mentally challenged. The only criticism I've had is with the play calling but with Treon's predictable unpredictability it is what it is.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Liked his press conference today. Basically said if the dead fish or governor wearers don't come alive, we'll find some kids that want to play our way with energy.
That's right. Don't be fooled. Mack knows exactly what is needed to build and to go from here. Let's face it. To be 10-1 with the kind of OL and QB play we've had is a miracle and if some can't see that they need to take their head out of their back sides.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The guy should be given a raise for the coaching job he's done this year. He has no QB, no kicker, and an O-line that's like a turnstile. For us to be 10-1 is a miracle. What do you think our record would be under the previous jackass.

Nope, no raise, not yet. Muschamp had his one good year and we saw how that turned out. Let's see if this is more than a flash in the pan. Or at least tie it to performance.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
This topic has to be a joke. Mac is calling the plays, we all see it. They line up to pass and only about a third of the time is the ball even delivered. The fumble for a TD was bound to happen, every team knows Harris is going to pull out of the pocket and immediately begin running to the sideline looking to make a play. There is no risk he will step up into the pocket and throw. You can blame coaching, but its the kid. I hate that its not working out for either Treon or Mac.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Anybody that can't see Mac is a GREAT coach is mentally challenged. The only criticism I've had is with the play calling but with Treon's predictable unpredictability it is what it is.

Call me "mentally challenged" then. Because while I like Mac, love 10-1, and even support COY, but I am not ready to label Mac as "GREAT".

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
while I like Mac, love 10-1, and even support COY, but I am not ready to label Mac as "GREAT".
You support him for coach of the year, but don't think he's great? Well OK then.

Oct 5, 2014
I think that McElwain will be a very successful coach in Gainesville, but I also think that most of the credit for this year's 10-1 start should be attributed to the great defensive players who were recruited by Muschamp.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think that McElwain will be a very successful coach in Gainesville, but I also think that most of the credit for this year's 10-1 start should be attributed to the great defensive players who were recruited by Muschamp.

This is not a false statement

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you have a problem with the way Mac has coached this season, go find another team. Go over to FSU and take the queer spear up your ass.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If you have a problem with the way Mac has coached this season, go find another team. Go over to FSU and take the queer spear up your ass.
th
"WE FEAR NO SPEAR"

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Enough of this pathetic offense and close games against inferior competition. I'm neither saying nor advocating that he should be fired, but Treon can take only so much blame for our performance. I'm not having fun watching this team, and one reason why he was hired was to inject joy into Gator football. I know wins and losses is what ultimately matters, but there's a reason so few of us look fondly on that 11-2 season in 2012.
I watched the post-game interview. He seemed a little too loosey-goosey. He should be angry (but not volcanic) that we almost lost as a #8 team to a 2-8 Conference USA team with pathetic output on offense and kicking special teams.

Name and town if you wish to opine.
Put the bottle down and step away from the internet for a few days...this is literally one of the dumbest posts of all time. He took a dysfunctional program in which all of us thought at best we might get to a mid tier bowl game this year and is 10-1 and playing in Atlanta all after losing his starting QB. And you want to replace this guy that hasn't even gotten his own players yet...you pretty much have to try to be this dumb...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Put the bottle down and step away from the internet for a few days...this is literally one of the dumbest posts of all time. He took a dysfunctional program in which all of us thought at best we might get to a mid tier bowl game this year and is 10-1 and playing in Atlanta all after losing his starting QB. And you want to replace this guy that hasn't even gotten his own players yet...you pretty much have to try to be this dumb...
To be fair, the OP said he wasn't saying for anyone to be fired....

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
For him to take us to 10-1 with this offense is nothing short of miraculous. That's coaching. He can coach em but he isn't blocking or passing either. Mac had got this. Chump would have shat the bed.
He's a major upgrade over chump and a natural winner, and he's in his first year which makes the season's record all the more amazing. But there are definitely parallels between this season and 2012. The record, the offensive rank, and the wins in games that we honestly should have lost. Anyone who claims there is no similarity is either ignorant or too biased to take seriously.

And lets not pretend he's perfect at in-game decisions and all our struggles are 100% the players fault. No one, even the best coaches in the world ever call a perfect game. Just like the players, coaches have to be continuously analyzing their performance and striving for improvement.

Some things Mac does repeatedly that could be improved in my mind;

1. Always electing to receive is stupid. Watch the best coach in football and you will see Belichick ALWAYS defers when he wins the toss. There's a reason for it. If you defer you can manage the first half by pace of game (hurry up vs run clock down), and by use of otherwise somewhat useless first half timeouts to have a high probability of having the last drive of the first half. If you can score at end of half leaving little or no time for opponent, then get the ball and score first possession second half you can take control. Teams that score last, first half, and first, second half, win that game at a very high percentage. It's simple statistics so quit the contrarian crap. There's a reason you defer, it smarter.

2. Never contesting or using challenges for obvious bad spots and calls. There something to be said for trying to stay on the good side of the refs, but you have to call them out and challenge calls sometimes. I've seen plenty of games turn on a won challenge, and it's one of the tools coaches can use in game to affect the outcome so you have to use it.

3. Running from middle of the field to lateral hash-mark on 3rd down in FG range. Yes, Hardin sucks, so why TF make the kick much harder by taking a straight on shot and making it a tough angle on short FG's? It's like no one is thinking or telling Taylor "try to make the first down but you have to stay in the middle to help Hardin if you don't make it."

4. I don't think there is a single game where they have gotten McGee enough touches. He's the best weapon on a terrible offense. It's not as flashy as hitting Calloway deep but we're not playing for style points. And on critical 3rd down short routes, when trying to hit Mcgee vs Powell with Harris's inaccurate passes, you are MUCH more likely to get a completion with McGee's huge completion radius and ability to block out vs Powell's tight window. If we want to keep winning, getting the ball to McGee repeatedly is probably the most important strategy going forward.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is one of the dumbest threads ever on this board. Maybe one of the dumbest threads in the history of the internet.

But it's just cool to be able to post in these threads. When I'm having Sunday dinner that my dog could cook I'll be thinking about this thread... and dead fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.